Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spent this past weekend at a very nice hotel called the Grand Del Mar here in San Diego for my wife's birthday. It also so happened that Detroit Lions running back Reggie Bush was getting married there on Saturday. On Sunday morning we checked out and went out front to wait for valet to retrieve my Model S. About 5-6 current and former NFL players who had attended the wedding as well as Reggie Bush's mom and dad were also waiting for their cars. I definitely recognized former Charger QB Stan Humpries, among others.

Anyway, the valet pulls up in a tricked-out black Range Rover which is Reggie's mom's car. Looks pretty nice but nobody really notices. Next up was a very nice looking Audi Audi RS7. Again, people are oblivious.

Next up my shiny, clean Blue Metallic MS85 silently slips into the area. All conversation ceased and super rich NFL players were staring at my car, no doubt wondering which of their brethren was driving this beautiful piece of technology. My wife and I walk over and start putting stuff into the trunk. The admiration from those guys was palpable. :biggrin:

Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla
....All conversation ceased and super rich NFL players were staring at my car, no doubt wondering which of their brethren was driving this beautiful piece of technology. My wife and I walk over and start putting stuff into the trunk. The admiration from those guys was palpable. :biggrin:

If you had popped the frunk to put a piece of luggage in there, it may have prompted some raised eyebrows and perhaps a question :biggrin:

You got your implant when you put your deposit down, right? Note that some of the early adopters also underwent a "treatment" so they don't remember getting theirs.

Implants? Treatment? OMG, is our model S ownership a total-recall-style memory implant? That explains so much. How it can be so strangely better and no one else gets it. Are we actually driving around in Ford Fiestas and the implants make us see supercars?

Implants? Treatment? OMG, is our model S ownership a total-recall-style memory implant? That explains so much. How it can be so strangely better and no one else gets it. Are we actually driving around in Ford Fiestas and the implants make us see supercars?

I prefer to think of us as "evangelists". You would have thought they would have planted a little extra in there... Maybe a little concert pianist? Tennis pro? Nooooo...

Two weeks?!? Two weeks?!?

Weekend full of moments.

We went back to my college in PA this weekend for their annual artist festival. Checking into the hotel, the clerk hands me the paper to fill out my car info. I wrote “Tesla” and started to write “Model” when he blurts out “You’ve got a Tesla?!” I tell him I’d be happy to show it to him later if we weren’t out at the festival.

He calls us a few hours later and I take him down to the garage. He snaps pictures of the front and back “T’s” and I open the driver’s door and offer to let him get in. He gives me this “are you sure?” look and giddily jumps in the driver’s seat. He’s done some research and asks a few questions about price. I guess that he hadn’t gone to the site and spec’d a car because he was high by about 20K. He fiddles with the touchscreen a bit more and I can tell that he’s having a ball and doesn’t really want to get out of the car.

After what seems like half an hour of Q&A we start to walk away and he laughs one more time as the handles retract and mirrors fold in. I find out he’s a junior studying to get into med school and I wish him plenty of success.

There’s a free level 2 charge station on the edge of campus and I drive there to recharge for the trip home in two days. What do I find but another Tesla (silver, 12K series so a lot older than ours)! I leave a note for the owner to call when they’re done and sure enough around 10 I get a call and run the car over. The other Tesla isn’t there when I arrive but the funny thing is that we catch up with the gentleman at the Hagerstown supercharger on the way home and I thank him before he departs. Also of note at Hagerstown was another green car, this one a 60, using the supercharger for the first time even though they had the car since September.

Then we stop for ice cream at a MD dairy and an older gentleman walks up to the car. We start a conversation and he asks a bunch of questions about range. He wishes that he’d held the Tesla stock he bought a bit longer so he could more easily afford a the car. He’s also a big Elon fan.

Guess I need to get out more often.

Wednesday on my way home from work I saw a girl behind me with her phone held high, snapping a few pics. I hadn't noticed anyone doing that lately; we're not as rare around here as we once were. As a matter of fact, on my way home last night I was next to another blue one, then passed a white one headed in the other direction.

I just recently had it corrected and coated, so maybe it catches more attention when it's clean and shiny!

My excuse for missing TMC Connect is that the Big Gay Car was in the San Diego Gay Pride Parade today, marching in and supporting the ACLU contingent. I completely lost count of the number of people who shouted "It's a PINK TESLA!". In honor of the occasion I didn't even correct them :wink:. I gave lots of what I consider to be the official salute, three parallel horizontal fingers. I don't think many people recognized it. Anyway, it is always a hoot, and this year was even hootier, with the car. I also had a rainbow mustache, which got almost as many comments :confused:.

BGC Gay Pride.jpg

My passenger was the mother of the Executive Director of the ACLU, too old to do the walk but happily waving to everyone and telling them in Spanish that she owned the car, and I was just her driver! I think she thought I couldn't understand what she was saying, but I get a bit here and there. Anyway, she had a great time too. There were about 75 of us marching for the ACLU. About 300k people came to see the parade.