Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While waiting for my car to arrive . . . I stopped by the Tesla gallery yesterday just to remind myself exactly what my color looked like.:wink: I found myself talking to the people who were checking out the car (the store is in a big mall), and I think I was talking it up more than the sales people (big surprise).

In particular, two ladies were taking pictures of themselves behind the wheel, and I commented to them that they needed to close the door to make the shot look better, and when they got out they started asking me about the car. So, of course, I asked them if they checked out the frunk yet, and they had no idea about it. So I opened it. The look on their faces was priceless.

It's still fun to see how the car can delight.

Of course, right after the frunk was open, somebody else asked where the engine is located. Gotta love it.

I love this tread but I always ask me the same question. All those people who are interested in the car, are interested because it is a nice car or a brand new car company or because it's electric?. Do they know it is an electric car?.

All the questioners I have run into so far are attracted to the car because it looks nice and/or they have never seen one before. The questions that follow are basically of two types: 1) They know nothing about the car and so you have to feed them information starting from ground zero. 2) They know a little bit about the car and want to know more or get a closer look.

Well this was a moment!

My previous posts involve smoking corvettes and other hot cars- with visitors in my car.

I often get to a light on double lane road- and if the guy next to me looks annoying I'll let him pull away for a second than poof!

Well today- had my #1 fan in the car, my daughter. Never speed with her in car, but will give her the acceleration poof then stop at 60.

We are in left lane of three lane road at light. I hear this growling loud loud loud car in far left lane but couldn't see what kind of car it was bc of minivan in between us.

To my left (in turning lane) was another truck pointing to me, and then to that horrible sound. My daughter yells "smoke him" (of course referring to the acceleration to 60)....

Light turns green, I hesitate and see this rusted pos loud as hell pull out faster than I expected. I started slow then pushed the poof pedal and........ The rust ball blasted away from me! I don't know Wtf it was. Nos? He got a solid 40 feet on me at 60 mph, and he too slowed down. I told my daughter to give him the thumbs up- he laughed and waved then blasted away from me!

Negative moment here! Hahaha

I have a Tesla moment in waiting.

Met a girl at the local Verizon store a few weeks ago. Ended up being there a couple of hours because we were on hold with HQ, yadda yadda. There was nobody else around (slow day), so we got to talking, and are now friends. I mentioned Mr. T the other day, and she said, "Oh yeah, I've heard about them. I don't know about electric cars though. I've heard they still have really limited range and super low power -- like, you can't even have a real subwoofer because it drains the battery."

I just smiled. I didn't refute any of it. In my head, I'm thinking, "This is going to be fun."

So we have a date. When she gets off work tomorrow, I'm taking her for a test drive.

I am new to the evangelical process, so any suggestions would be most welcome. I've probably already forgotten half the cool and/or strange things about the Model S, because they're all just normal now. The one thing I plan to do before having her drive is demo both the acceleration and the regen braking, because both are a bit... surprising.

I will, of course, report back on the experience. ;-)

So, as promised, here's the trip report.

I picked up "Rachel" (not her real name) at the appointed time this afternoon. We walked out to the car, and she's like, "wait -- did the handles just come out?" I remember that feeling -- did I just see what I think I saw? So I realized almost immediately how much coolness I had already forgotten about, and mentally slowed down the pace. I showed her the trunk -- pretty nice, lots of space -- and then the frunk. The frunk reveal invariably produces a priceless expression, as the person fails to see what they were expecting to see: wait, huh? who stole the engine? That, of course, is a natural segue to talk about how *small* the motor is, which is a perfectly devious setup for someone who's already expecting lame eco-friendly performance.

I then spent a good bit of time (more than expected) on the UI. Again, I'd already forgotten how cool it is. No buttons, just like an iPad, and oh yeah, here's this iPhone app that can honk the horn (to show that it actually works) or, more importantly, turn on the AC ten minutes before you leave the restaurant/movie/whatever on a hot day.

Next, I drove for a bit to set expectations on both the acceleration (cf Tesla grin) and the regen braking, and explained the one-pedal driving concept. Then it was her turn, and it was like a duck to water. She drove like an ace from the get go. She was struck by how smooth the ride is, and how responsive the car is. Can't argue with that.

Finally we drove back to work (she was on break for our little adventure), and Rachel's first comment to her co-worker was, "I'm getting a Tesla. That's my new life goal."

So, to the crew in Fremont, thanks -- for a fun outing, and for making the future happen. That is the magic of Model S: from "I don't know about electric cars" to "new life goal" in half an hour. What an amazing creation.

Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla
I hesitate and see this rusted pos loud as hell pull out faster than I expected. I started slow then pushed the poof pedal and........ The rust ball blasted away from me! I don't know Wtf it was. Nos? He got a solid 40 feet on me at 60 mph, and he too slowed down.

Probably a "sleeper" car with a few ten thousand bucks in engine, drivetrain and chassis modifications under the rusty panels ...

I had the windows down the other day and stopped at a stoplight. A kid on a bicycle was on the sidewalk right next to me. He yelled out "How do you get in your car?!"

Handles in, it is a little strange for the unexperienced..... Heh!

-m

Weekend full of moments.

We went back to my college in PA this weekend for their annual artist festival. Checking into the hotel, the clerk hands me the paper to fill out my car info. I wrote “Tesla” and started to write “Model” when he blurts out “You’ve got a Tesla?!” I tell him I’d be happy to show it to him later if we weren’t out at the festival.

He calls us a few hours later and I take him down to the garage. He snaps pictures of the front and back “T’s” and I open the driver’s door and offer to let him get in. He gives me this “are you sure?” look and giddily jumps in the driver’s seat. He’s done some research and asks a few questions about price. I guess that he hadn’t gone to the site and spec’d a car because he was high by about 20K. He fiddles with the touchscreen a bit more and I can tell that he’s having a ball and doesn’t really want to get out of the car.

After what seems like half an hour of Q&A we start to walk away and he laughs one more time as the handles retract and mirrors fold in. I find out he’s a junior studying to get into med school and I wish him plenty of success.

There’s a free level 2 charge station on the edge of campus and I drive there to recharge for the trip home in two days. What do I find but another Tesla (silver, 12K series so a lot older than ours)! I leave a note for the owner to call when they’re done and sure enough around 10 I get a call and run the car over. The other Tesla isn’t there when I arrive but the funny thing is that we catch up with the gentleman at the Hagerstown supercharger on the way home and I thank him before he departs. Also of note at Hagerstown was another green car, this one a 60, using the supercharger for the first time even though they had the car since September.

Then we stop for ice cream at a MD dairy and an older gentleman walks up to the car. We start a conversation and he asks a bunch of questions about range. He wishes that he’d held the Tesla stock he bought a bit longer so he could more easily afford a the car. He’s also a big Elon fan.

Guess I need to get out more often.

You were in my area. A friend sent me a text saying that we must be at the arts festival because he saw our car and he doesn't think that there are any others in town. We were in town and we parked on the street so it probably was ours he saw. We parked next to the waffle shop Saturday morning and the typical line was there and our daughter gets out of the trunk. There were a lot of faces with shocked expressions on them.

When our son and I came back to our car there was a young couple (like 18-20) checking out our car and the boy went to the front to take a pic and his girl went to the drivers door to peer inside the window and then she looked at her boyfriend and gave a thumbs up and he took a pic. I tried to time it but missed, I extended the door handles a second too late for the pic but she was shocked none the less when they popped out. I gave them an abbreviated 3 minute tour because we had to meet my wife on the other end of town. Our son had to show them his seats of course. They said they want to get one really really badly.

Back to the original intent of my reply, you could use our home charger next time too, it'll charge faster than the one on campus. :). You are welcome to it if you come to any games this fall too.

Coming home from TMC Connect we came out of a Culvers to see three young men walking toward our Model S. One of the boys was commenting "Sweet!" and telling the others all about Tesla and Elon. So I sidled up and began giving them the Tesla Tour. We didn't realize there were three vans of these kids and soon the whole group was over for the tour. When I popped the hood they were all amazed (except for the one very knowledgeable young man). Their chaperone, a middle aged woman, said, "The engine is in the rear." So I popped the fully loaded trunk and watched her amazement and then allowed the young man to explain the facts to her. One of the young ladies commented, "THIS is going to be my first car!" As we silently drove off they were all watching and I told my wife, "This is the generation I want to influence. These kids will make Tesla the industry standard.

It was meant as a compliment. Most men would rather be the initiator, most women intuitively recognize this and arrange things so that the man thinks he was his idea all along to do whatever the woman wanted to do in the first place. There are exceptions, doesn't apply to all people, situations, couples, etc.

So, the question I continually have to ask on this forum is why we keep getting comments about "women do this" or "women are this way"? Generally the posts are followed by back peddling of "most but not all" women? So, I gotta ask, why do we keep having to make assumptions about all women? (especially knowing that the women on this forum are a minority, and by definition unique compared to the general population or else the forum would be closer to 50/50 mix of gender posting).

I was driving to soccer yesterday, with the windows down and stereo at 11. Then a lady pulls up next to me rolls down the window. I turn down my music a bit as she says "I like it." I start into my Tesla Model S spiel, then she says "No, I like the song ... I like the car too!"

It was great!

I had the windows down the other day and stopped at a stoplight. A kid on a bicycle was on the sidewalk right next to me. He yelled out "How do you get in your car?!"

Handles in, it is a little strange for the unexperienced..... Heh!

-m

You should have hit unlock on the touch panel and had them extend....

- - - Updated - - -

I was about 10 miles east of Cody, WY and going 10-11 above the speed limit and a cop car passes me coming the other direction. I look up in my mirror and see him pulling a U-turn, I dropped my speed by five he comes up screaming up behind me without his lights on. Hangs there just long enough to read the zero emissions plate since I hadn't received my plates/tags before leaving on the trip and then turns around and continues on his way!

It was meant as a compliment. Most men would rather be the initiator, most women intuitively recognize this and arrange things so that the man thinks he was his idea all along to do whatever the woman wanted to do in the first place. There are exceptions, doesn't apply to all people, situations, couples, etc.

Saying most women are naturally devious was meant as a compliment? I think most people on this forum know better than that. And I'm with lorih on this. Why is there this need on the forum to generalize about women? When there is an accident and a man is driving, there is zero discussion about 'male drivers'. But it doesn't go without comment, a LOT of comment, when it was a woman driving. It's insane.

Can't we all just be people here? Why does one group have to be naturally more devious, bad at parking, and whatever else I've read here recently? How would you feel? It's not the most welcoming feeling, to be completely open about it.

Saying most women are naturally devious was meant as a compliment? I think most people on this forum know better than that. And I'm with lorih on this. Why is there this need on the forum to generalize about women? When there is an accident and a man is driving, there is zero discussion about 'male drivers'. But it doesn't go without comment, a LOT of comment, when it was a woman driving. It's insane.

Can't we all just be people here? Why does one group have to be naturally more devious, bad at parking, and whatever else I've read here recently? How would you feel? It's not the most welcoming feeling, to be completely open about it.
I'm doing an online traffic school right now, thanks to the first ticket I've received in 27 years. FWIW, the accident statistics they cited in both California and nationwide show that approximately 71% of car accidents resulting in fatalities involve male drivers. :redface:

Saying most women are naturally devious was meant as a compliment? I think most people on this forum know better than that.

I can't stop you from taking offense. I honestly explained my comment. If you don't want to believe me, there isn't much else I can do.

When there is an accident and a man is driving, there is zero discussion about 'male drivers'. But it doesn't go without comment, a LOT of comment, when it was a woman driving. It's insane.

I agree, there could be a lot less of that.

Well, my comment was a good natured comment about a guy getting together with a woman for an initial meeting that could lead to a date. So it was explicitly about women/men relationships. It was an OT post that was meant to be lighthearted and not to be taken too seriously.

I can't stop you from taking offense. I honestly explained my comment. If you don't want to believe me, there isn't much else I can do.
I agree, there could be a lot less of that.

Well, my comment was a good natured comment about a guy getting together with a woman for an initial meeting that could lead to a date. So it was explicitly about women/men relationships. It was an OT post that was meant to be lighthearted and not to be taken too seriously.

No, we're good. It's just this whole forum sometimes gets to be a bit, well, you know. You see it. I wish it were more welcoming towards women. So comments like 'women are naturally more devious' are in flashing neon lights, even though you obviously didn't mean it that way.

What would make the forum more welcoming towards women? Serious question. Admittedly, I'm relatively new here, and male, but what I've seen so far is that TMC is generally very polite and that the subject matter is gender-neutral and low-conflict in nature (a handful of explicitly political threads aside). I'm always interested in learning about things that I'm blind to.