Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I had a great Tesla moment on Sunday in Melbourne Australia when we had a brunch in hill country with some of new Tesla owners in Australia. We are spending a few warmer months in Australia avoiding the Canadian winter.

Of 42 Model S owners in all of Australia as of yesterday, 6 were at event. It was good to share views with new owners and to see faces of those in parking lot point out "that's a Tesla". Several people came over to have a look!!

Keep in mind price of Model S in Australia is nearly twice price in North America, a lot due to govt luxury car taxes. Discovered that Model S owners in Australia receive their home wall charger from Tesla as part of price but no charging adapters are provided. Most of charging is done at home with chargers slowly being introduced throughout the region. The govt also does not allow the Internet to be connected to the cars as we have in NA. Two superchargers are in Sydney but none in Melbourne yet. Electric cars also do not receive a govt rebate here. It is the true electric car buff who orders the "S" here. We are spoiled in North America with our electric car infrastructure compared to here.

Seeing wll the "S's" parked close to each other made us want to return home so that we could drive our own "S".

So if you are not allowed to have internet connect to the cars does that mean no updates or live navigation data? Can that be gotten around by having a device that connects to the internet, writes to a flash drive and then loaded on the car? Can the car use analog cellular?

Maybe this one counts... A couple days ago I was waiting to pull out of a restaurant driveway onto the main road in my roadster, and a passing driver flips me off and mouths "f%$# you" to me. Not the type of Tesla Moment I like. :/

Most likely jealous because you work hard and earn money to able to buy nice things!!
One day some idiot was working real hard to prevent me from merging and nearly ran me into the curb. Some people are childish and this is the way they act out. No skin off my back as I am driving an awesome car!!

Most likely jealous because you work hard and earn money to able to buy nice things!!
One day some idiot was working real hard to prevent me from merging and nearly ran me into the curb. Some people are childish and this is the way they act out. No skin off my back as I am driving an awesome car!!

Pretty much my take on the occurrence as well. My only regret is not having enough time to motion back an inappropriate universal hand signal. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, how do they find superchargers, or get updates? Are they allowed to tether to a smart phone? No big map!
It's only the Web browser 'App' that is removed from the screen, you can search for all 2 Australian Supercharger locations using the 'Places' feature of the Navigation app. 3G Internet connectivity and updates all work as normal.
We're currently lobbying Tesla to have the Web Browser enabled whilst in Park as our reading of the legislation indicates that this is allowed.

Last edited:
It's only the Web browser 'App' that is removed from the screen, you can search for all 2 Australian Supercharger locations using the 'Places' feature of the Navigation app. 3G Internet connectivity and updates all work as normal.
We're currently lobbying Tesla to have the Web Browser enabled whilst in Park as our reading of the legislation indicates that this is allowed.

Same as in Hong Kong, except we don't even have navigation YET. That is a TM issue, though, not regulatory (Navigon who provides navigation for Tesla Motors don't cover Hong Kong, Japan and China)

Apart from the web browser, we also cannot have the extra children seats (I would have gotten them for sure). A lot of way outdated laws still in force - but that's Hong Kong. At least there is no registration tax on these cars, not even sales tax (no sales tax in Hong Kong). I paid something like 5 USD for import taxes of the car. Yearly road tax just over 100 USD.

At work, I have a small vision board. Early 2014, i added a picture of a P85, not knowing I will purchase it on Dec, 2014.

Fast forward to Jan, 2015. Two lawyers stop by my office and saw my old vision board.
Lawyer 1: So, did you get your Tesla? (laughs)
Me: Yup (responded casually)
Lawyer 2: You got a Tesla???
Me: Yes.
Lawyer 1: You got a Tesla??? (with disbelief)
Me: Took out my keyfob

The look on their eyes was awesome! So, I answered all of their question regarding the company and the car itself.

Here comes the best part.
Same day. Lunch time, I went down to the parking lot. As I was walking towards my car, the same gentlemen were waiting for their cab and they were checking out my car.
As they saw me..

Lawyer 2: Let me guess, THATS YOUR CAR!
me: Yes. (And i said it with a big smile.)

As I walk closer to the car, the handles presented itself and I heard both of them said, "WHOOAA".
Right before I closed my door, I overheard one of the lawyer say, "I HAVE TO GET ME A VISION BOARD AND PUT A PICTURE OF THIS CAR."

BOOM!!! Felt really good. :tongue:

At work, I have a small vision board. Early 2014, i added a picture of a P85, not knowing I will purchase it on Dec, 2014.

Fast forward to Jan, 2015. Two lawyers stop by my office and saw my old vision board.

The look on their eyes was awesome! So, I answered all of their question regarding the company and the car itself.

Same day. Lunch time, I went down to the parking lot. As I was walking towards my car, the same gentlemen were waiting for their cab and they were checking out my car.
As they saw me..

As I walk closer to the car, the handles presented itself and I heard both of them said, "WHOOAA".
Right before I closed my door, I overheard one of the lawyer say, "I HAVE TO GET ME A VISION BOARD AND PUT A PICTURE OF THIS CAR."

They aren't charging your enough, they are keepers!

Quiet a few moments already in less than a month but a few stand out:

1) While I was waiting to join a major road from a strip mall, saw a Panamera driver rubber-necking and staring at my loaner so hard I was afraid he would collide with cars stopped ahead at a light. Interestingly I noticed his car from a distance too but I thought it was another Model S. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked but it did look similar.

2) Neighborhood kids are telling my son that he has the coolest car they've ever seen. In fact, a lot of kids or young people have given me the thumbs up or waved at me on the road.. many more than adults. It could be a Youtube thing or they have better environment consciousness than a lot of us adults.

3) My wife took the car to work one day and when she was walking towards the car at lunch, a bunch of senior executives she knew were hovering over the car checking it out. She decided to wait till they left as she didn't want anyone to know what she drove for whatever reason. I don't ask.

4) The rear facing jump seat is a hit with my son's friends and cousins. They all want to sit in the back, at least as of now while the weather is cool. One kid did ask me not to accelerate hard as he was scared. And I don't even have the P.

2) Neighborhood kids are telling my son that he has the coolest car they've ever seen. In fact, a lot of kids or young people have given me the thumbs up or waved at me on the road.. many more than adults. It could be a Youtube thing or they have better environment consciousness than a lot of us adults.

It's these kinds of moments that give me hope that EVs will ultimately prevail. Just think, some of those kids will never know what it's like to drive an ICE.

As they saw me..

I love this story!

- - - Updated - - -

It's these kinds of moments that give me hope that EVs will ultimately prevail. Just think, some of those kids will never know what it's like to drive an ICE.
Like you? Lol!

I had a small moment and I don't even have my car yet. I ordered it about 5 days ago and my wait begins, but people have been finding out that I ordered one. And I live in a very rural farm country area of NJ (yes they do exist). And a friend come over with his 10 year old son, congratulated me on my new car. His son asked me what car I bought. My friend said "Mr M is going to own the coolest car in town."

I had a small moment and I don't even have my car yet. I ordered it about 5 days ago and my wait begins, but people have been finding out that I ordered one. And I live in a very rural farm country area of NJ (yes they do exist). And a friend come over with his 10 year old son, congratulated me on my new car. His son asked me what car I bought. My friend said "Mr M is going to own the coolest car in town."

Smart kid!

Welcome to the forums!

(I'm very sorry to the majority of the people out there, as if you aren't a software developer, you likely will not get this one)

My first true "moment" happened today. Was reviewing some changes to commit to source control for one of our company's products, and had a running list in my head. Was interrupted by a very pleasant phone call... my SC scheduling Next-Gen seat install... and when I went to actually type them, the first item my brain spit out was "+ Next gen seats".

WTF brain? I guess I'm past all hope now, and a Tesla owner for life.

(I'm very sorry to the majority of the people out there, as if you aren't a software developer, you likely will not get this one)

My first true "moment" happened today. Was reviewing some changes to commit to source control for one of our company's products, and had a running list in my head. Was interrupted by a very pleasant phone call... my SC scheduling Next-Gen seat install... and when I went to actually type them, the first item my brain spit out was "+ Next gen seats".

WTF brain? I guess I'm past all hope now, and a Tesla owner for life.

So you're saying that the hold-up for other owners to get their seats has been because you've only coded it for yourself? :wink:

Twenty-ish years in software R&D...I "got it". :) It'd be even funnier if that item made it out to your customer-facing release notes (assuming that's applicable to your company / product).

Enjoy!