Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I was invited to Montana State University for a 3rd annual EV car show. I had more Tesla Moments than I can count with all the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering students going Bonkers at seeing a Tesla Model S Up Close. I had a young man on a skateboard say , "I am a total devotee of Elon Musk, I have seen all of his YouTube videos, would you mind if I take a selfie with your car. I said hop in the drivers seat, He about fainted!" I had so many students tell me how inspired they were by seeing Elon when he came to Butte, MT for an Economic conference. They said seeing him changed their life! It was so much fun being with all that vitality and promise, being with our youth of Tomorrow! Speaking of tomorrow, I was invited by our City Sustainability Manager to show my Model S from 10-noon at our local Sustainability Fair, so I am looking forward to Having my car named "Inspiration" work it's Tesla magic with the locals. :) If you get a chance to plug in with any College Student Earth Day groups it really is fun to share the Tesla Vision with young open minds that are so ready and in need of the Inspiration that such Impressive Sustainable Transportation can provide. :) Earth week has become a big week for Sharing the Tesla.

After work on Friday afternoon, I was taking a drive in my Model S85 and as I approached a red light in the left lane, suddenly a Silver Lotus Exige S pulls out of a driveway and pulls up in the right lane next to me. I rolled my passenger window down to tell him what an amazing car he has.

I regress, My love for the Lotus goes back to 1974 while walking home from High School a Lotus Europa would drive by 3-4 days a week making my friend and I jump up and down giving the guy a double thumbs up. Last week I literally heard this Lotus Exige come off the highway ramp and pulled right in front of me. I followed him, checking him out till I had to turn.

So now, I find myself, exactly one week after my first sighting and we are right next to each other, stopped at a red light that will allow us to go 0-45 mph when it turns green. He never looked over at me when I had rolled down my window so, I rolled it back up and slammed my foot to the floor when the light turned green, leaving him as a tiny speck in my rear view mirror. I had my cruise set at 45 mph so he eventually came up on my right side. The speed limit increases to 70 mph and he pointed to the sign as we approached it. I hit the "go" button and zoomed from 45- to 70 in a heart beat or two leaving him as a speck once again. At the next light he waved as he turned right and gave me a Big Double Thumbs up, which actually made me let out a larger than life holler and put a huge Tesla Grin on my face. To spontaneously and legally beat a Lotus from 0-45 and again from 45-70 mph is something I never could have imagined happening. A thrilling Tesla moment for sure! I sure love the looks of a Lotus but I love owning my Model S even more!
lotus exige silver.jpg

I've heard that S-CAR GO joke before, from the Elon Musk interview with the Valley Girl. Goodness that was one hard interview to watch, it was hilarious but made me cringe a million times.

It's from that 1983 movie where Eddie Murphy plays a bum that's picked up by two stock brokers. Ah, it's called "Trading Places" - Trading Places (1983) - IMDb

EDIT: So I was told that the joke is even older than that, back to the 60s. Maybe even earlier than that?

Works even better for a Model S though.

In case someone don't get it and are embarrassed to ask:

"Escargot" is snail (in French?) or some special kind of snail, and pronounced "S Car Go" if you like (the t is silent).

Last edited:
After work yesterday, I was getting some 8' boards for a repair project. We'll call it the "orange" store. I came out of the store to see a gentleman circling my car. He said he knew it wasn't a Maserati or Jaguar, but couldn't figure out what it is. So once again the "Tesla" "Who makes that?" conversation. I'm a little surprised that there are still quite a few people that have never heard of Tesla Motors.

He wasn't especially busy, and I was not looking forward to my project, so I showed him the car, front trunk, etc. He was astounded, and impressed by the design. I showed him Tesla's web site on the screen, we talked about skateboard platform, center of gravity, safety, charging, superchargers, the order process, incentives, service... We talked about how they don't really have a traditional sales force, then agreed that owners sell the car.
Then we went for a short ride, when I gave him one of my favorite lines, "This is the slowest one they make."
Then we discussed the roadster, upcoming Model X and eventual Model 3. He commented on what kind of person it must take to start a company like this. He'd never heard of Space-X either, so space station supply missions, re-usable rockets...

What a great way to delay my repair job another hour!

After work yesterday, I was getting some 8' boards for a repair project. We'll call it the "orange" store. I came out of the store to see a gentleman circling my car. He said he knew it wasn't a Maserati or Jaguar, but couldn't figure out what it is. So once again the "Tesla" "Who makes that?" conversation. I'm a little surprised that there are still quite a few people that have never heard of Tesla Motors.

He wasn't especially busy, and I was not looking forward to my project, so I showed him the car, front trunk, etc. He was astounded, and impressed by the design. I showed him Tesla's web site on the screen, we talked about skateboard platform, center of gravity, safety, charging, superchargers, the order process, incentives, service... We talked about how they don't really have a traditional sales force, then agreed that owners sell the car.
Then we went for a short ride, when I gave him one of my favorite lines, "This is the slowest one they make."
Then we discussed the roadster, upcoming Model X and eventual Model 3. He commented on what kind of person it must take to start a company like this. He'd never heard of Space-X either, so space station supply missions, re-usable rockets...

What a great way to delay my repair job another hour!

Oh I love this kind of scenario.

I wonder how many cars I have sold, often I don't even remember if I gave a "test ride", a "full demo" or both, to certain colleagues/friends/family. So now I simply say "so many people tried my car, did I take you for a test drive already?"

Regarding brand knowledge: Despite the immense focus on the Model S (both by enthusiasts and haters), remember that TM doesn't spend much for advertisement. You can't blame John Doe for not knowing what this car is, and hence we need to keep being proactive in helping this marvellous car being in demand. Although you have to wait for your Model S, Tesla Motors and the TSLA stock is often hit by "demand is falling" rumours (on top of the "gas prices / Audi / BMW / lack of chargers / etc-etc-etc will kill Tesla" nonsense)

I don't know how many cars I have sold, in Hong Kong or elsewhere (I travel a lot and my colleagues live all over the world). But in Hong Kong some people call me "Head of Sales, Hong Kong", wonder why :)

A few of us in Hong Kong started Charged Hong Kong | Hong Kong Electric Vehicle Association (charged dot hk) - and we will fight for the conditions of EVs in Hong Kong, mainly charging infrastructure but also many other items related to EVs and clean air. And actually, any car that plugs in electric (plain hybrids without a plug are not inside our scope of interest). You can see me on that page, bang in the middle looking like a sports fisherman showing the size of the fish he caught last week :)

He said he knew it wasn't a Maserati or Jaguar, but couldn't figure out what it is.

Walking out of the store, I see a women who parked behind me in a BMW walking around the car. She started walking into the store and we crossed paths. She must have realized it was my car because I was walking towards it and there weren't many other cars around. I assumed she went on her way but she followed me back to the car and said "I was admiring your car. I used to have an S-Type and I loved it. I didn't know Jaguar came-out with a new S-Type. It's really nice". I told her that it's not a Jaguar and that it's a Tesla. I didn't have time to talk to her about it but I told her it was electric and she looked surprised.

Imagine if I didn't run into her....she may have gone to a Jaguar dealer asking to see the new S-type, lol.

Contrasting reactions within one week:
1. A fellow golfer and I were about to get into our cars to leave, when he "detoured" to come over and ask about specific details of the MS (he knew some basics). This culminated in a 10 minute demo ride during which the only thing he could say was "Wow!"
2. A visiting classmate from out of state expressed interest in the car and a ride so I obliged him. I knew he was a timid type but not how timid until my first launch. I hadn't even reached 60 (couldn't because it was on a curve) when he yelled "Enough, enough!".
And so it went for the rest of the ride.

Haven't even taken delivery yet but have had some moments already... at my garage having some minor work done on my wife's Audi and the discussion with the guys turned to the car I'm expecting.

One of them didn't know what we were talking about (a little surprising in itself).

Another of the guys said "you know, the new Electric Supercar!"

'Supercar'? Niiiiiiice... :cool:

I have given rides and test drives about 25 or more times. Of the rides/drives I have given, about 75% have bought a car. The remaining 25% are trying to afford to buy one at some time, or are waiting for Model 3.

The last few rides/drives I have given, I preface it with "this is going to be an expensive ride!" When they question why, I answer that is because you will want one when you are done!! Everyone has agreed!!

So once again the "Tesla" "Who makes that?" conversation. I'm a little surprised that there are still quite a few people that have never heard of Tesla Motors.

It's quite amazing how long it can take for a brand name to become really well known. KTM and Aprilia have been selling motorcycles in the US for way longer than Tesla and members of my motorcycle forum who ride these bikes regularly report conversation of exactly this kind ... "is that the new Honda? No it's an Aprilia/KTM. Yeah, but who MAKES it?" Another guy who rides a BMW GS once told of a lady in an expensive BMW who was outraged and shouted at him in freeway traffic because of the BMW roundels on his bike. She thought he was riding some japanese bike and had just stuck them on the tank to make it look more "expensive". She didn't have a clue that BMW built motorcycles too.

It's quite amazing how long it can take for a brand name to become really well known. KTM and Aprilia have been selling motorcycles in the US for way longer than Tesla and members of my motorcycle forum who ride these bikes regularly report conversation of exactly this kind ... "is that the new Honda? No it's an Aprilia/KTM. Yeah, but who MAKES it?" Another guy who rides a BMW GS once told of a lady in an expensive BMW who was outraged and shouted at him in freeway traffic because of the BMW roundels on his bike. She thought he was riding some japanese bike and had just stuck them on the tank to make it look more "expensive". She didn't have a clue that BMW built motorcycles too.

And before their first motorcycle in 1929, it was airplane engines...

The BMW Roundels True History and Origin - YouTube

Im with ya MHPR262, I rode a K100RS over 100k miles before selling it, and an R80Rt, Ducati 998. I guess I've never been in the mainstream of manufacturers of transportation.

I picked up our 85D this afternoon. I took my daughter out for dinner at a restaurant that has a charger nearby so I could try it out. After dinner as I was disconnecting the charger, I heard someone yell, "Is that the most fun car you've ever had?" I spent the next 10 minutes showing the car to a guy and his kids in the parking lot and answering as many questions as I could.

I picked up our 85D this afternoon. I took my daughter out for dinner at a restaurant that has a charger nearby so I could try it out. After dinner as I was disconnecting the charger, I heard someone yell, "Is that the most fun car you've ever had?" I spent the next 10 minutes showing the car to a guy and his kids in the parking lot and answering as many questions as I could.

Tesla doesn't tell you this during the order process, but you're also agreeing to act as an ambassador and sales rep when you submit your order.

We can this tesla time.

Congrats and enjoy!

I've got a couple from my road trip this past week from Seattle to Northern California and back. 2,300 miles in a week. This is my fourth time doing this trip since I got the car in September.

1. On the trip south, a gentleman followed me off the freeway to the supercharger in Corning, CA (rural farming town). He began asking questions about the car and said his son has been begging him to buy one, but he didn't know much about them, and he was surprised when I flew past going 90 MPH or so. I answered his questions, and then offered him a test drive. Let's just say he seemed very interested in buying one after that! This guy appeared to be a farmer and was driving a big truck. Not your typical clientele!

2. I got my new license plate recently (SILENCE), and saw 4 people take pics of it on the drive south and 2 more on the way back north yesterday. At least a dozen others gave me thumbs up over the course of the week as well.

3. The last one took plate at the Vacaville supercharger. A guy driving a BMW 3 series pulled up and said he likes "the style of the car, but it just isn't practical". I asked why not, and his response was "The snow." So..."What about the snow?" I asked. His response was "What happens if you get caught in a blizzard?" I responded with "Probably would stay in the car since blizzards are, uh, cold outside" He muttered something quietly and then drove off.

I was at the Corsicana, TX Supercharger Saturday evening on the way back to Dallas from College Station and a family in a pickup truck stopped and asked "What are those things? We've driven by them for months and have no idea what they are." It turned into a 10 minute discussion about Tesla, all electric, free charging, etc.

Being so involved in this Tesla community it's easy to forget just how little the lay public knows about our cars, or even Tesla in general.

Ice cream run to downtown Annapolis last night. As I pulled up to a parallel parking spot on the right, a couple emerged from between the cars parked on the left side of the one way street, saw me just in time to stop. As I backed into the spot, the guy now crossing the street in front of me said: "I couldn't even hear your car, dude." He sounded annoyed that he had almost walked out in front of me. My son-in law in the back seat pipes up: "You could try a crosswalk." Well, yes, he could have tried a crosswalk instead of jumping out in front of traffic. Or he could have looked both ways before crossing the street.

Anyhow, a half hour later, after ice cream at Kilwin's, we are getting back in the car when the same guy (still there?) says: "there's that dickhead with the Tesla." I didn't hear that, but my wife did and says in reply: "we never said anything to you and have no need of your foul language." End of episode. Son-in-law apologizes for inciting the guy...

Not sure what this means except that there are certain resentments out there, of the good fortune to own a Tesla, and-or of its silence and the silence of EVs in general. I guess that really cramps one's jaywalking style.