Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My best Tesla moment so far occurred last night. My co-workers got me a bad ass, full-sized Chewbacca costume for my birthday, which I obviously had to wear on the drive home. A wookie driving a P85D isn't something most people see everyday, even in Silicon Valley.
Come on, there needs to be a photo of that! "Hit it Chewie". [emoji3]

Come on, there needs to be a photo of that! "Hit it Chewie". [emoji3]
That would require me to figure out photo bucket, or something like that, which I should do anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Best I can do on short notice is: (1) visual evidence of my beautiful new P85D; and (2) wookie driving said P85D

telsa.JPG
wookie.JPG

That blue with the grey 21's, looks fantastic!
Thank you. I fell in love with the blue right away. I initially wanted the silver rims but the Mrs. persuaded me to go with the grey - apparently it "brings the car together" with the all-black interior. However, I overruled her efforts to remove the carbon fiber spoiler. It may not be of much practical effect but I think it looks slick.

On our way back from early dinner tonight, we were stopped at a light. To our left and a car length ahead there was a VW beetle with a mom and young boy of around 10. I realized they were both straining to look back at my car. Then, the boy held out a cell phone and took a couple of pics. I was making faces and doing "jazz hands" for his shots, and we were all laughing until the light changed. I love it when it's the kids who know what a Tesla is!

Who would have thought that we would see a Tesla in Ketchikan Alaska - what a moment. We were walking around town during one of our Alaska cruise stops when my wife stopped me and said there is a Tesla!! Of course we had to take pictures.
image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Another Tesla moment occurred on our way to my daughter's place in Portland after our Alaska cruise ended in Seattle. We stopped on the trip to her house at Centralia to shop at the outlet Mall. When we were looking for a parking spot my wife pointed out to me that there is a Tesla supercharger station. I was let off to check it out while they shopped. The station has 10 slots and while I was there 6 cars were charging at one time with cars coming and going from California, Oregon and Washington States. The cool thing for me was to see a Handicapped spot designated for The charging station. 4 slots had no parking signs and 6 had 30 minute only parking signs if you were not charging - I.e. ICED.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 822
The cars are becoming more common around here, and of course there is a fair amount of press, so it always surprises me when someone has no idea what it is. At a 4 way stop in the middle of a very busy shopping center parking lot today, a 20ish guy in a Chevy made a left turn across my bow and stopped in the middle of the intersection. He made a motion for me to roll down the window, so I did, and he said "I'm staring at your car and can't figure out what it is! What is it?" I hollered "Tesla" and he said something back that wasn't quite right, so I said it again. At that point there were cars backed up in all four directions but he didn't seem to care. So I just said "Made in California" and moved on.

Not a Tesla moment per se but had a really interesting dinner conversation with an Obama administration official last night. I don't want to out him as we have mutual acquaintances and he's a low profile guy, but suffice to say he has about 20K employees under him around the world. Anyway, we were talking about the next election cycle - he's "looking forward to getting fired" LOL as regardless of the outcome it's a political appointee position - and I mentioned that I'm really interested in renewable energy and sustainable transport. He brought up Musk and I told him I was in the market for a Model S. He sees a fair amount around MD/DC and had a million questions. Eventually we had to break off so we could dance with our wives (it was a banquet hall celebration), but he thanked me for the chat. Later on the way out we connected on LinkedIn, and he said he's going to take a closer look at Tesla - possibly order a sedan or Model X. To which his middle school son exclaimed, "Oh, yeah, that would be awesome!"

Just another day in the life of an evangelist.

So yesterday on the way to dinner, I pull up next to an Aston Martin DB9 at a red light. He notices me and starts revving his engine. The road is clear with no turn-ins/turn-offs for a good bit and when the light goes green, he guns it. Man he looked frustrated from my rear-view mirror! We both get up to 55 (the speed limit) and then just cruise. At the next lift he turns left and a guy in a MB E550 pulls up beside me and gives me a thumbs up from his sunroof! I definitely was sporting a Tesla grin at dinner!

At Starbucks yesterday morning a father and son were checking out my car when I came out. The boy was about 8 or 9 and he asked me if that was my Tesla. I told him that it was and he said "Cool!" We chatted for a moment and the dad asked the son why he was so enthused about the car. The kid rolled his eyes and said "Sheesh, Dad, its only the best car in the world."

1. A bit of a reverse-Tesla Moment here. I had my car in to Vancouver Service for its two-year check and a couple of minor issues (that were fixed). We were on our way to Whistler for a couple of days of biking, so I had my hitch and bikes on the car. When I arrived at Service I took the bikes and rack off, leaving the hitch attached. The staff were very kind allowing my bikes and rack to be stored in the manager’s office, since he was away on vacation. When we got back to pick up the car, it was raining slightly so TJ offered to have me bring the car into the service bay to put the bike rack on. The Moment: while I was doing that, a couple of the staff came over, had noticed our electric-assist bikes, and wanted to know all about them. One of the staff had already been on the web checking a few things out. So it ended up being the equivalent of a Tesla Moment with the staff, except about the e-bikes.

2. Coming back from Whistler, we stopped at a small town just north of Victoria. We hadn’t charged the car since Squamish on the way to Whistler a few days before, and the trusty nav screen was saying I’d have 2% battery left once I got home. So we pulled into a 30A charger while having dinner to get just a bit more for a buffer. While waiting for the server, I had my iPhone out checking to make sure electrons were still flowing. The young server came, and while chatting about the menu she happened to notice the picture of the car on the app, and asked about it.

“What’s that?"

“We have an electric vehicle and this is telling us how the charging is doing.”

"What kind of car?"

"A Tesla - have you heard—“

She interrupted “Oh, a Tesla!! My boyfriend is SOOO into those! He can’t wait for the Model 3! I think they’re great too. Is that the one from around here?"

“No, we’re from Victoria, but we did see a black one 5 minutes ago on the highway, didn’t see the plate though"

“What’s your plate?"

“WAT GAS"

“WAT GAS! I know that plate! I saw your car in Victoria and told my boyfriend all about it!"

[Cue the jokes about how everyone in Canada knows everyone else.]

I don't get asked a lot of questions, which is probably because of the area I live in and the Model S being so common. So I don't have any super interesting stories I guess.

I was at the supercharger the other day and looked in my rear view and saw two guys taking pictures of only my car and I've seen a few people do double takes and look back, almost dangerously too long, as they drive by the car.

While I was borrowing a P85D, some guys chased me down to tell me how much they liked my car. Started asking questions about it and I told them about the performance and they enthusiastically said they had seen the videos on YouTube. Said our goodbyes and as usually I launched at the light. They chased me down, and at the next light asked me if they could snapchat a video of me launching.

Day they announced the P90D, when I was able to upgrade from P85D to P90D, I was at the supercharger with a car I borrowed and some other owners were asking me questions about the Model S. Another guy walks up and answers some of the questions and then the P90D came up and I started talking about what I knew. Turned out the guy that walked up was one of the engineers that built the fuse so the tables were turned and I became the question asker. It was just kind of cool. (Note to Tesla: he was very careful and didn't say a lot about the fuse... so nothing to worry about, no NDAs were harmed in the making of that conversation)

Pulled up to a light one day and when it turned green I saw this bike take off and pull a wheelie so I floored it and as he turns his head to look back for his buddy he sees me a couple lanes over right there with him while the other cars were 1/4 mile back. He seemed surprised :)

Got pulled over by a cop and something was said that made me say something like, "yeah this has a lot of power" and when I said how much he was like "wow I knew they were nice, but that's insane". I probably should have said, "it's not insane, it's ludicrous...".

[Cue the jokes about how everyone in Canada knows everyone else.]

Not making jokes, but true story. A while back my dev team was around 12 people and at the time we had 4 people from Canada and they all went to the same school at different times, knew a lot of the same people, but didn't know each other (two had met once). It was kind of a joke at the time just because I was the only American in the office I sit in and I somehow was given honorary Canadian citizenship because I own a labrador and labrador origin is Canadian. I don't think they understand how the citizenship process works, but hey, no paperwork to fill out ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a Tesla non-moment:

My younger daughter (age 23) came for a visit recently. First time she's been in the Tesla. Without saying anything, I did a launch from a red light. She just looked at me and said, "please don't do that again." She did like the door handles and took a video of them on her cellphone.

Here's a Tesla non-moment:

My younger daughter (age 23) came for a visit recently. First time she's been in the Tesla. Without saying anything, I did a launch from a red light. She just looked at me and said, "please don't do that again." She did like the door handles and took a video of them on her cellphone.

I'm not a father but if I was one I would take that as a good sign she isn't riding in fast cars.

I had a new one, sort of. Over the summer I have been giving friends and friend's kids rides. A couple of the kids (my daughter's age, middle school) wanted multiple rides over the summer. No problem. One in particular, kid about 12 was really enjoying it and wanted me to take him and his friends and show them all the gizmos etc. Didn't think anything of it. But was talking to his mom over the weekend. She said that at school the kids were asked about what was the highlight of their summer and she said he thought about it for a minute and said "I got to ride in a Tesla!". I saw this kid at a party yesterday, I asked him if it was true. He said yes. So I gave him my Tesla hat and told him to wear it with pride. He didn't take it off the rest of the day. It was cute to make his day.