Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a great one testing new 7.1 features. I used perpendicular autopark outside a local apartment building. Then I got out and tested "summon" to pull it out of the space. Worked great. After it was done, I looked up and noticed two people who were chatting outside the building and now had their jaws on the ground. Totally derailed their conversation. "What kind of car is that?!" And the typical conversation ensued. Too funny!

I just had a great one testing new 7.1 features. I used perpendicular autopark outside a local apartment building. Then I got out and tested "summon" to pull it out of the space. Worked great. After it was done, I looked up and noticed two people who were chatting outside the building and now had their jaws on the ground. Totally derailed their conversation. "What kind of car is that?!" And the typical conversation ensued. Too funny!

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding this, but Summon works when it's not just in a home garage? Aka out of a parking spot?

That's amazing, can't wait to get the update on my P85D

Summon is basically just the ability to use the key fob to move the car forwards or backwards up to 40ft, with some intelligence avoiding obstacles. It seems to work anywhere. The release notes warn that it should only be used on private property, but I think that like the "hands always on the wheel" warning with autosteer, this is not actually enforced.

It should be great for cases where somebody parks very close to your driver's side door, for example.

Hey can someone explain the trophy thing for this California boy? We don't have Quaker Steak and Lube out in these parts.

Quaker Steak & Lube does a "Classic Car" show every Thursday night. Pretty much, if you want to pay $5, then you can show your car. Sometime there are some nice muscle cars end generally a few older restorations. They give out a whole bunch of trophies for "cars of merit" but not in any particular categories. This week I saw a much bigger trophy for the best car of the night, but hadn't seen that before. To be fair, we're usually inside eating when they call the winners outside, or we're by just generally not paying attention. So we may have racked up a few more trophies that we didn't collect. Btrflyl8e has 2, FLDarren has one or 2, I think Great Dane has one, and MaxK received one for the awesome Model X this week.

A friend's cow-orker has four sons (Ages ranging from about 10 to 16). When they heard about the Tesla, they all had to see it. Of course I had to offer them a little test drive. They had all the best questions to ask, were very knowledgeable about the car and Elon. We did a clown-car picture so they can show their friends.

20151231_142113a.jpg

A friend's cow-orker has four sons (Ages ranging from about 10 to 16). When they heard about the Tesla, they all had to see it. Of course I had to offer them a little test drive. They had all the best questions to ask, were very knowledgeable about the car and Elon. We did a clown-car picture so they can show their friends.

View attachment 107289

I hope it was a test ride and not test drive ;)

One of the VERY rare times my younger one convinced my older one to sit in the rear facing seats.

Leaving the store, kids close the trunk, and this woman looks like she saw a ghost, walked past us, went to her car with her friends and I overhear her say "I think they forget their kids in the trunk".

My wife starts to pull out of the space, and the woman with the faceless expression runs over, knocks on our window and says "umn... I THINK your kids are in the trunk". My wife, says "I know". The woman goes "o? You know? ok...." and starts walking back to her friends.

I yelled out the window "there are seats back there". I would've showed her the seats to ease her concern, but we had 15 mins to get to the next store before it closed.

Hopefully the cops won't be paying me a visit later...

• Funny
Reactions: TesTaipei
As I started walking into work from the back of the parking lot this morning, I crossed paths with someone who worked in one of the neighboring auto supplier buildings. He got my attention and said "I like your Model S. I haven't seen one in Michigan yet." I replied that there aren't many and thanked him and we continued on our ways.

Time permitting, I drag people into the car and show it to them; give them a ride; sometimes even have them drive. Usually accompanied by a chant of the form, "you can get this as a sedan, as an SUV, and in 2017 as a compact sedan for the average price of a new car except LESS because of the federal tax credit". :) It's impossible to quantify so I'm just going with my hunch that every friendly owner engagement now translates into someone giving serious consideration to a new Model III in 2017/2018 or a used/CPO III in 2019/2020.

Alan

P.S. Really, REALLY hard to resist the setup line, "ok, you've been in a golf cart, right, this is electric just like that, so please just take a deep breath and be patient with me as I attempt to accelerate", and then WHAM! Even in an ancient, dirt-slow P85+, it's a winning move! :)

One of my employees comes up to me a few minutes ago and says "Hey Boss, there is a Camry parked in your space."

"Yeah, they gave me a rental from Enterprise while they make my car faster."

"Just thought you might like to know that it is still running."

Oops. :redface: