Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first Tesla moment in some time, living n the Midwest of Miami, after all:

Scene: Miami Auto Spa my car wash of choice.
Me: pulling in in queue behind a generic Escalade and the usual riff-raff.
Next: a BMW i8 pulls in behind me; an Alfa 4C immediately after hm.
i8 driver: is that your Tesla?
Me:yes, and your i8 is really beautiful.
4C driver: I feel so out of date!
i8 driver: is that really quicker than mine? Where can you buy it? Where do you charge it? There seem to be only pretty slow choices for me.
M: explain Superchargers, insane and and ludicrous.
4C: Ah, when I get something practical...

i8 driver: can you show me the torque.

some time later: holy s..t! That's faster than mine! Still later, as I allow him to drive: and it handles so well, so smooth...

we had discussed Steven Kessler Luigi Chinetti, various Ferrari Challenge, a Formula Ford, Jensen FF, and so on...
then he said...I wonder if I want to drive ICE (a term he just had learned) again.

methinks that will be a S90DL quite soon...

No idea about the 4C. She has been seen often in Tesla, so observed a couple fellow customers assisting the conversation.

so much for jaded car-rich Miami...

My first Tesla moment in some time, living n the Midwest of Miami, after all:

Scene: Miami Auto Spa my car wash of choice.
Me: pulling in in queue behind a generic Escalade and the usual riff-raff.
Next: a BMW i8 pulls in behind me; an Alfa 4C immediately after hm.
i8 driver: is that your Tesla?
Me:yes, and your i8 is really beautiful.
4C driver: I feel so out of date!
i8 driver: is that really quicker than mine? Where can you buy it? Where do you charge it? There seem to be only pretty slow choices for me.
M: explain Superchargers, insane and and ludicrous.
4C: Ah, when I get something practical...

i8 driver: can you show me the torque.

some time later: holy s..t! That's faster than mine! Still later, as I allow him to drive: and it handles so well, so smooth...

we had discussed Steven Kessler Luigi Chinetti, various Ferrari Challenge, a Formula Ford, Jensen FF, and so on...
then he said...I wonder if I want to drive ICE (a term he just had learned) again.

methinks that will be a S90DL quite soon...

No idea about the 4C. She has been seen often in Tesla, so observed a couple fellow customers assisting the conversation.

so much for jaded car-rich Miami...

I know he's got an i8, but you let a random stranger drive your tesla??

Went to the theatre (did the VIP dinner+movie to see Deadpool) on Saturday night with friends, picked them up in our Tesla.

While looking for parking, we came across 3 other Tesla's in the lot. Four Tesla's in the same parking lot. This is Canada folks, not California, that's a lot of Tesla's in one place!

When the movie was over, I told them to wait, I'd come up to the door to pick them up. I used the car voice command to "PLAY WHAM! Careless Whisper" (in-joke, it's the second last song played in the Deadpool movie) and drove up with the premium audio at 11. We had a great laugh.

Many nice cars had picked up patrons at the front door, and my wife and friends were commenting on them, but then I drove up, and they said "nicest car yet". ;-)

I was outside washing the wheels before taking her inside for the ONR treatment today and my garbage man drove by, stopped the ridiculously loud engine and said, "Is that thing really as fast as they say?" I turned around and said, "Yes, and I'm confident I could beat your rig off the line any day." We had a good chuckle and talked Tesla for a few minutes.

I've had many Tesla moments since getting mine in November, 2015 -- but overwhelmingly I get asked "Do you like it?" more than anything.

Never quite sure how to respond. A "yes" isn't sufficient and I don't want to make a smart ass comment, but I'm always tempted. What's your best one liner response to "Do you like it?"

I was outside washing the wheels before taking her inside for the ONR treatment today and my garbage man drove by, stopped the ridiculously loud engine and said, "Is that thing really as fast as they say?" I turned around and said, "Yes, and I'm confident I could beat your rig off the line any day." We had a good chuckle and talked Tesla for a few minutes.

I've had many Tesla moments since getting mine in November, 2015 -- but overwhelmingly I get asked "Do you like it?" more than anything.

Never quite sure how to respond. A "yes" isn't sufficient and I don't want to make a smart ass comment, but I'm always tempted. What's your best one liner response to "Do you like it?"

I always say, "No." Then after the stunned looks, I continue, "It's more than like. It's the best car on the planet. We love it."

The conversation with the truck driver brings back the Motor Trend or CD article on track testing the Mercedes Benz GT. Stood for "garbage truck". You are aware MB builds work trucks....

"I'm not really a car guy, but this is by far the best car I've ever driven." And then follow up with the Tesla Grin.

Because it's true.

I've gotten a few of the "do you like it" or even "love it" questions. It's the overwhelming number of "nice car" comments that have always stumped me. Those statements always seem to be oddly paired to when I know my vehicle could use a really good wash.

We've had our Model S for almost two years now. There were a couple of early moments that are unforgettable. After picking up our vehicle in Watertown, MA we headed off to CT. It was twilight when we exited the Mass Pike, stopping briefly to pay the toll with cash. The young cashier didn't notice the car until she handed us our change. Her eyes widened as she peered inside the car. She said, "That's quite the ......". There's no word there, she was absolutely speechless. I whispered back, "the future" and drove off. A few weeks later I stopped by a local True Value hardware store trying to find the right size J-hooks for my front license plate mount. I explained to a store worker what I was intending to use them for. He was an older gentleman and seemed to have heard of Tesla. He asked me if I really had one parked out in front of the store. I said sure, come on outside and have a look. We walked outside and he stopped, gazed at the car, then said, "I didn't think they really made these." For just a few seconds, I was the one that was speechless. Looking back I recognize that was a pretty cool moment for both of us.

...he stopped, gazed at the car, then said, "I didn't think they really made these." For just a few seconds, I was the one that was speechless. Looking back I recognize that was a pretty cool moment for both of us.
That resonates with me, because now I usually tell the inquiring person:
Going out to the driveway, grinning at seeing a "Tesla Motors" All-Electric, Cyberspace-connected, Voice-Commandable, swift/silent personal transport, and confirming that it wasn't just a dream I just had, and it belongs to me ...is a daily thing. Going on two years.

"Do you like it?"

My answer is generally along the lines of "No, I love it... and after driving this, I could NEVER go back to driving a Rube Goldberg machine. It's the Best... Thing... Ever..."

And if my wife is present, she'll usually add something like "He probably loves it more than me..."

I've tried to explain - several times - that it's a different kind of love, but she isn't buying it. :cool:

Walking back into the office today after lunch I get stopped and asked this question: "So how does the Tesla do in the rain?" (It's showering here today.)
I reply - "Does fine. No problems."
Then the question starts to strike me as odd and I probe further.
"Why do you ask? Why would any car be bad in the rain?"
He replies - "Well, it's electric, so there might be issues with shorts or getting shocked."
I didn't want to get too cute, so I left it at that. So yea, be careful out there :)

Walking back into the office today after lunch I get stopped and asked this question: "So how does the Tesla do in the rain?" (It's showering here today.)
I reply - "Does fine. No problems."
Then the question starts to strike me as odd and I probe further.
"Why do you ask? Why would any car be bad in the rain?"
He replies - "Well, it's electric, so there might be issues with shorts or getting shocked."
I didn't want to get too cute, so I left it at that. So yea, be careful out there :)

Next time just go "Oh so you have one of those ICE cars without a 12v battery, which you start with a hand crank?"

I tell them it's the best thing I've ever bought. Not the best car. The best THING. And that includes my stapler, my house, and everything in between.