Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've told the story of taking my old-school Italian mechanic for a drive... well, here's another one for the thread. Text is cut/paste from my Instagram feed. Note, his Testarossa is just visible in the background... probably should have parked them side by side!

"This is Franco. Today is his open house, celebrating 45 years in the auto business! I've known him since I was a teenager buying parts from him for the family Volvo. When I told him I was buying a #tesla he was skeptical to say the least... "electric cars are garbage!" Well... I took him for a ride and he changed his opinion 180 degrees! He loves my #teslarossa and asked me to let him display it at the open house. I agreed and made him this nice 'street person sign' to wear today. LOL! It says, "Seeking Forgiveness. I was wrong about the Tesla. Any forgiveness you can spare helps. Thanks and God bless." This is a Tesla Moment for sure!"

View attachment 88345

I like that guy! A mechanic with an obviously great sense of humor. :)

We should arrange for a gaggle of owners to drive from Vancouver and have a little picnic on his lot!
Heh, he'd probably break out the BBQ and serve up some burgers! He actually suggested I should send the photo to Tesla - LOL

At last count there were six Teslas in Kamloops. And perhaps that number has grown... the Tesla folks in Vancouver suggested a few more were headed this way. Franco will need a bigger parking lot for a picnic at this rate.

You Vancouver guys would always be welcome. Don't forget Hot Nite in the City is coming up on the 8th of August. Hewey and and I have registered and have hopes a few more will show up to join us for a day in the sun. We had a discussion about what category to register in... 'Special Interest' or 'Modern American Muscle Car' ;-) If either of us had a P, perhaps we'd go with the latter, but we're both driving those sluggish 85D's - which would still probably take most or all of the ICE cars in that category - Hellcat excluded.

I'm heading to the shop first thing Saturday morning to take Franco's late-teens nephew visiting from Italy for a drive. He's excited to see how the kid reacts to the idea of 'EV'... it must be a really bad word in the land of cars with stallions and bulls in their logos!

- - - Updated - - -

I like that guy! A mechanic with an obviously great sense of humor. :)
Absolutely! His low regard for EV's would have come (fairly) from the poor examples produced by other manufacturers. He's a car guy and I think he's learning that the power source doesn't really matter... perhaps a bit like a homophobe coming to accept that the friend who's come out is still a good guy... :wink: If the car performs, who's to judge it for it's preference of power source? :biggrin:

There are many Model S around here. When driving in my Roadster I usually give them a thumbs-up, but they are rarely looking at me. When they are, I think most of them don't realize I'm in a Tesla.

Tonight as I came down the hill from my house, I found myself behind a red P85D. The plates looked pretty new. I couldn't see the people inside the car, but as I followed them to the freeway onramp, I wondered if we'd get there at one of those rare times with no cars in front of us - there were several cars in front at the previous light, so it seemed unlikely. I wondered if they'd accelerate at full throttle. I wondered if they noticed the yellow car behind them, or knew what it was.

It looks like it was "yes" to all of the above (in fact they had been driving a little slow; perhaps they were trying to let space open in front of us). I was surprised that I kept up; perhaps they didn't really floor it, or perhaps because we had a rolling start around the corner they'd lost their from-a-standstill acceleration advantage. Six years in, that was my first in-the-wild dual Tesla run. They slowed down on the freeway so I could get alongside them and thumbs-up just before I exited.

In the grand scheme of things this was nothing, really...but I still enjoyed it.

Lots of Tesla moments for me. Two stand out:

1. I was in the left turn lane stopped at a red light waiting to turn. Dude in the right thru lane slows down and does double take. Then literally goes and TURNS left from his thru lane at the intersection.... Not only that, he commits a U-TURN and comes back the opposite way only to come to a full stop beside my driver side window. I roll down my window to chat. The guy is enthralled and wants to learn more but my light is now green. We end with "check the website! Google it!".

2. Picking up some pizza. Notice a police car in the same lot. After buddy gets the pizza I get a knock on my window. "Hello officer, how are you today?". He asks me where I got the tint on my windows (yes they are all tinted, front and rears). And then proceeds to say "going to have to give you a ticket". I sigh and agree. Then he continues "...or you can let me check out your car!". I tell him to hop in and even offer to drive him around in it for a bit. He opts to just hop into the passenger side and is in utter awe of the console. Let's me off and says "just don't drive too aggressively and nobody will really bother you about the tint. It's not too dark anyhow."

True stories. No joke.

I'm heading to the shop first thing Saturday morning to take Franco's late-teens nephew visiting from Italy for a drive. He's excited to see how the kid reacts to the idea of 'EV'... it must be a really bad word in the land of cars with stallions and bulls in their logos!
Turns out it wasn't the kid I was expecting it to be, rather another relative who is probably in his early 40's. He didn't speak any English, so I just demonstrated some of the touch screen stuff and other than 'No English' from him, it was a quiet ride... Until I goosed it from a complete stop on the on-ramp to the highway. The he started speaking excited Italian to me. All I managed to pick out of the fast-talk Italian was "Mama-mia!" and "Ferrari!".

When we got back, he had a long animated conversation with Franco in Italian, to which Franco translated the summary - "He thinks the car is really fast"... LOL... I kinda got that already!

I can only imagine the reactions if I had a P...

I've told the story of taking my old-school Italian mechanic for a drive... well, here's another one for the thread. Text is cut/paste from my Instagram feed. Note, his Testarossa is just visible in the background... probably should have parked them side by side!

"This is Franco. Today is his open house, celebrating 45 years in the auto business! I've known him since I was a teenager buying parts from him for the family Volvo. When I told him I was buying a #tesla he was skeptical to say the least... "electric cars are garbage!" Well... I took him for a ride and he changed his opinion 180 degrees! He loves my #teslarossa and asked me to let him display it at the open house. I agreed and made him this nice 'street person sign' to wear today. LOL! It says, "Seeking Forgiveness. I was wrong about the Tesla. Any forgiveness you can spare helps. Thanks and God bless." This is a Tesla Moment for sure!"

View attachment 88345

I love it!

Most of the complimentary conversations about my car that I have had with strangers are pretty much generic/interchangeable such that I cannot remember any one specific instance versus another. But this one really sticks out. I was crossing the parking lot to the post office when I noticed a lady (probably in her 40’s) just outside the P. O. door eyeing my car intently. After greeting me as I neared, she proceeded with the usual compliments and questions. As she started to leave, however, she let go one parting shot - "this is the only car I know of that can generate a feeling of lust". :scared:

• Funny
Reactions: steveho
- - - Updated - - -

Most of the complimentary conversations about my car that I have had with strangers are pretty much generic/interchangeable such that I cannot remember any one specific instance versus another. But this one really sticks out. I was crossing the parking lot to the post office when I noticed a lady (probably in her 40’s) just outside the P. O. door eyeing my car intently. After greeting me as I neared, she proceeded with the usual compliments and questions. As she started to leave, however, she let go one parting shot - "this is the only car I know of that can generate a feeling of lust". :scared:

I had a very similar experience yesterday evening. I was waiting outside an ATM for an attractive lady who was inside. She exited and smiled as she passed me heading into the parking lot. I went inside, did my transaction and came back out. She was still in the parking lot, walking around my MS, giving it the twice over. When she saw me she says,"Is this a Tesla?" I affirmed. She then says, "I didn't know there were any around here!" I replied..."Our numbers are growing every day!" She smiles and says "gorgeous car! I'd love to take a spin in one"

I climb into the MS where my wife who has been observing the entire scene smiles at me and says..."Don't even think about it!"

I had a very similar experience yesterday evening. I was waiting outside an ATM for an attractive lady who was inside. She exited and smiled as she passed me heading into the parking lot. I went inside, did my transaction and came back out. She was still in the parking lot, walking around my MS, giving it the twice over. When she saw me she says,"Is this a Tesla?" I affirmed. She then says, "I didn't know there were any around here!" I replied..."Our numbers are growing every day!" She smiles and says "gorgeous car! I'd love to take a spin in one"

I climb into the MS where my wife who has been observing the entire scene smiles at me and says..."Don't even think about it!"

ha ha and i assume you are a smart man and didn`t say "too late" since we all know you did think about it ]

There are many Model S around here. When driving in my Roadster I usually give them a thumbs-up, but they are rarely looking at me. When they are, I think most of them don't realize I'm in a Tesla.

Tonight as I came down the hill from my house, I found myself behind a red P85D. The plates looked pretty new. I couldn't see the people inside the car, but as I followed them to the freeway onramp, I wondered if we'd get there at one of those rare times with no cars in front of us - there were several cars in front at the previous light, so it seemed unlikely. I wondered if they'd accelerate at full throttle. I wondered if they noticed the yellow car behind them, or knew what it was.

It looks like it was "yes" to all of the above (in fact they had been driving a little slow; perhaps they were trying to let space open in front of us). I was surprised that I kept up; perhaps they didn't really floor it, or perhaps because we had a rolling start around the corner they'd lost their from-a-standstill acceleration advantage. Six years in, that was my first in-the-wild dual Tesla run. They slowed down on the freeway so I could get alongside them and thumbs-up just before I exited.

In the grand scheme of things this was nothing, really...but I still enjoyed it.

I had the same situation occur but the P85D I was behind didn't know I was in a Tesla Roadster. I thought it would be great to see the speed comparison. Looks like you discovered what would happen!!

very funny... best pick up line of the year!