Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to share one of my Tesla moments, although it happened a couple months ago. I was driving up the Fl Turnpike in Miami about 70 mph with traffic on all sides of me. In front of me a construction pickup truck had a 8 foot step ladder. I watched the step ladder launch from the bed and fly 10-15 feet in the air. It seemed like slow motion. It hit the pavement and bounced once. Then slid directly into my path. Not wanting to cause a serious accident and with no place to go, I drove over the ladder. Centered between the front wheels. There was a thump, a bounce and the ladder shot out from the car under the passenger door. I think it went into the swale area. Looking in the rear view no other cars hit it. I drove to my destination, after the adrenaline rush, and checked for damage. After detailed inspection I found a small scrape below the front passenger door. I love this titanium undercarriage. Safe at any speed.

I've been having lunch a couple of times a week at a little cafe in my town -- but their parking is not so good, so I've taken to parking the Roadster across the street, under the awning of an abandoned gas station, which makes it pretty visible. I went in today and sat down, and one of the waitresses brought me some tea as usual, and then...

SHE: We've been talking about your car, and we can't figure out what it is.

ME: What do you mean, what it is?

SHE: I think it's a Porsche, but she thinks it's a Prius.

ME: It's a Tesla!

SHE: (yells across to the other room) He says it's a Tesla!

I had not realized the Roadster looks so much like a Prius.

By your description of where the damage was, that's the aluminium tank armour. The titanium skid plates are small and to the very front of the battery. They keep debris from catching the front of the battery. Agreed that it's safe at any speed.

But the "bounce" that was described might have been the titanium plate lifting the car as it hit the ladder as per the videos that Tesla released at the time the plates were starting to be fitted? These showed the car lifting, as opposed to the plate deflecting or denting as the car coped with concrete blocks, trailer hitches etc.

The dent in the aluminium panel might be as the car returned to normal height from it's bounce as the ladder was exiting stage right?

True story as told by a Barnes and Noble sales person at the Hamilton Market Place NJ Supercharger.

Irate lady enters store and complains that the vacuum cleaners in the parking lot are not working and there is no slot for the coins.
Sales person tries to explain that these things are chargers for Tesla electric vehicles.
Irate lady tells her in no certain terms that she is full of s--t and leaves in a huff.

Reactions: TesTaipei
Mind. Blown.
True story as told by a Barnes and Noble sales person at the Hamilton Market Place NJ Supercharger.
Irate lady enters store and complains that the vacuum cleaners in the parking lot are not working and there is no slot for the coins.
Sales person tries to explain that these things are chargers for Tesla electric vehicles.
Irate lady tells her in no certain terms that she is full of s--t and leaves in a huff.

Two drive-by moments today.
I was on the way home from a gig in Boston in the right lane as I approached my exit. A woman leaned her head out the window of a car passing in the far left lane, I clearly read her lips, "Nice car!"
Then later carrying a ladder past my car in my mother's driveway, a passing driver yelled out, "That's a beautiful car!"

I'm usually nearly oblivious to all but traffic when I'm driving, so I wonder how often things like that happen that I don't even notice.

I think this one wins!

I just picked up my brand new MC Red 85D at the service center in Dedham Mass. I pull into Legacy Place next door and right off the bat I spot 2 people walk into each other because they couldn't stop looking. After I found a parking spot, I pick my head up from my phone to see several people standing around the car taking pictures. Then I wait until the group dispurses and get out to meet a Tesla admirer. We talked about the car for about 20 minutes.Those Tesla moments sure didn't take long

But the "bounce" that was described might have been the titanium plate lifting the car as it hit the ladder as per the videos that Tesla released at the time the plates were starting to be fitted? These showed the car lifting, as opposed to the plate deflecting or denting as the car coped with concrete blocks, trailer hitches etc.

The dent in the aluminium panel might be as the car returned to normal height from it's bounce as the ladder was exiting stage right?

It could have happened that way, but the two problems in the cars without the skidplates were from short spiky objects rather than long somewhat flat ones. A scrape on the skidplates would be definitive.

some people just can't deal with being out from under their rock. how much you wanna bet she was out there yanking on the cables trying to get them to reach far enough

This makes me want to put an audio clip with the sound of a vacuum on my thumb drive so if someone pulls up trying this I can make it seem like mine is working

As I was waiting for my wife outside a supermarket, the driver of the Evoke parked next to me arrived and started to go all crazy on how cool the TMS is, etc.

Her first question was: "Are you married ?"

My wife arrived a few minutes later ...
I got the same question from a restaurant patio as I drove out of the lot in my Boxster, years ago. My wife was in the passenger seat and started laughing. I pointed to her, and the response from the patio was "No, are you married?"

It's times like this the phrase "You just can't fix stupid!" comes to mind... :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, obligatory Tesla moment - I was driving to the dump yesterday in the pickup. An S was coming the other way. I pointed, gave a thumbs up, and waved. Got a wave back.

Finally took some time to browse through this thread. Reminded me of one of my own Tesla moments... back when I was doing some stuff with the car at the local AAA. The guy behind the counter was so excited that I had a Tesla, and word quickly spread throughout the AAA office. I had to go do a demo outside, and the reaction when I opened the frunk was... well, you know how it goes. Then, when it came time to set up everything in his computer, he discovered that the web form insisted on specifying the number of cylinders in the engine. I was sitting in the waiting area but saw him reach for the phone and call someone. His side of the conversation then went something like this:

"Hi this is so-and-so at the AAA in New Mexico, I have a question."

"Well, I'm encountering a problem I have never ever seen before. I am trying to enter a Tesla into the system."

"Yes, Tesla. T E S L A. And your screen is requesting number of cylinders, and the car has none."

"No really. It's an electric car. I'm getting this error message saying "number of cylinders must be numeric."

"Right, I tried that."

"But it's a Tesla."

"Could we use zero? Let me try zero."

"No, it's giving me another error message that number of cylinders must be 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 12, or 16."

"No, it wouldn't take the zero."

"No. Do you have some other code? Some sort of universal code to bypass?"

"Right. No, it wouldn't do that..."

"Number 4? Ok that would equal the horsepower? Match the horsepower of the vehicle? I don't know..."

"Ok so we wanna go ahead and use that. Let me see if they'll let me do that..."

"What's that? Ok, we're gonna go ahead and use the 4 then...."

"Yep it did! Thank you very much. Ok. Bye."

[ Who knew? Tesla Model S has four cylinders. :) Pretty amazing actually. I would've thought with all the Nissan LEAFs I see around the state, the concept of a) electric cars and b) they have no cylinders, would have made its way into the bureaucratic IT infrastructures by now. ]