Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had fun getting my annual smog/inspection today. After taking my vehicle and key fob, they told me it would be a 60-90 minute wait and only $7 since it is an EV. There were a lot of cars at the location so I pulled out my iPad to occupy me while I waited. Less than 10 minutes later they called me -- all done. The tech was smiling broadly when he gave me my key and paperwork.

I'm guessing that all of the techs were fighting over the chance at the Tesla. :D
EDIT: I see you posted that it is also an safety like inspection too.

Wait. Tx requires a smog inspection on an EV?

California requires all vehicles to undergo a smog inspection EXCEPT:
  • Gasoline-powered vehicles model year 1975 and older.
  • Natural gas-powered vehicles weighing over 14,000 lbs. .
  • Diesel-powered vehicles that:
    • Are model year 1997 and older.
    • OR
    • Have a gross weight rating of over 14,000 lbs.
  • Electric vehicles.
  • Motorcycles.

I had a few moments on my Chicago road trip last week.

My favorite was the guy coming out of the hotel who saw me open the Falcon Wing to sort out some stuff. He asked me if I was from the future. :)

At a traffic light in a small Indiana town, a guy in a Dodge sedan rolled down the window and asked what my X was - a Maserati? He had never heard of Tesla...

At the Harrisburg Supercharger I ran in to three Priests (or Monks?) in a Model S who asked if they could please see the doors. (Naturally, they got that, and a look through the windshield, and a bit more.)

I had a few moments on my Chicago road trip last week.

My favorite was the guy coming out of the hotel who saw me open the Falcon Wing to sort out some stuff. He asked me if I was from the future. :)

At a traffic light in a small Indiana town, a guy in a Dodge sedan rolled down the window and asked what my X was - a Maserati? He had never heard of Tesla...

At the Harrisburg Supercharger I ran in to three Priests (or Monks?) in a Model S who asked if they could please see the doors. (Naturally, they got that, and a look through the windshield, and a bit more.)

That last one with the priest seems like the start of a great joke!

The Texas annual vehicle inspection is more than just an emissions check. It's a full vehicle safety inspection.

For all passenger vehicles (EV or not), it requires:
  • Working horn, windshield wipers, drivers side mirror, functioning seat belts, working steering.
  • A short road test up to 25 MPH to check brakes functionality.
  • Parking brake must work.
  • Tires must have > 2/32" tread remaining.
  • Windshield cannot have excessive cracks that impede the driver's vision.
  • Tail lights, stop lights, license plate lights, turn signal lights, both headlights, and side marker lights must all be working.
  • High beam headlights require a functional high beam indicator on the dash.
  • Vehicle VIN must be present and match the registration.
  • Window tint, if present, must meet transparency and location requirements.
  • Texas has also integrated the annual safety inspection into the vehicle registration process. The vehicle must be registered and paid in the state's computer system before the inspection can be considered complete. Only one window sticker is now issued, and it now proves both a valid registration and completed safety inspection.

For ICE vehicles, in addition it requires:
  • Exhaust system has no leaks and meets noise requirements.
  • Gas cap must hold proper vapor pressure.
  • Emissions control system must pass particulate, NOx, and CO emissions requirements. This test must be run on a dynamometer, with the computer hooked up to the OBD port, and the sensor in the exhaust pipe. This test is required only in certain counties in Texas, but encompasses all counties around the major cities. For vehicles of 1995 models and older, the emissions system is inspected, but the dynamometer test is not required.

For ICE vehicles, this annual inspection is $32.50.

For EVs, the entire emissions portion is waived, but the safety inspection still has to be completed at a cost of $7.00.

So I have had my car here in Tesla barren South Carolina for about 6 weeks and I have been waiting for my Tesla moment. It finally happened. I arrived at the gym and hopped out of the car when a cute guy (I am in very late middle age) asked me about the door handles. Door handles? Really? Well, I demonstrated the door handles, then showed him the inside of the car. He asked if it was made in Germany. I explained that it was an American car that was fully electric.

Then he accused me of working for the company. I straightened him out and then suggested he go to Charlotte for a test drive. He allowed how he preferred his V8 for power. If the parking lot was bigger I would offered to race him.

People, we are on a mission to educate these great unknowing folks and it may be just be one at a time.

So I have had my car here in Tesla barren South Carolina for about 6 weeks and I have been waiting for my Tesla moment....

People, we are on a mission to educate these great unknowing folks and it may be just be one at a time.

If every owner "sells" a car every year, that's still exponential. I try to show off my car every week. One car at a time, yup, but millions of sales people all over the world. And working for free, for the love of Tesla.

So I have had my car here in Tesla barren South Carolina for about 6 weeks and I have been waiting for my Tesla moment. It finally happened. I arrived at the gym and hopped out of the car when a cute guy (I am in very late middle age) asked me about the door handles. Door handles? Really? Well, I demonstrated the door handles, then showed him the inside of the car. He asked if it was made in Germany. I explained that it was an American car that was fully electric.

Then he accused me of working for the company. I straightened him out and then suggested he go to Charlotte for a test drive. He allowed how he preferred his V8 for power. If the parking lot was bigger I would offered to race him.

Gearhead's eyes get wide when I say I have 762HP. Then of course, they always want to race, and lose.

Nicely done!

Couldn't agree more.

I try to get people into the car for a brief ride. Usually as a passenger. I start out saying it's a great car, and all-electric is so great, much cheaper than gas/oil, but you just have to be patient when accelerating, that's the only negative. They usually nod. I ask if they've been in an electric golf cart. Usually they have. So it's just like that! Then I floor it. Any preconceived notions still lodged in their brains about the deficiencies of electric vehicles then go flying out their head as I accelerate.

Sometimes I let them drive. A couple of days ago, same morning, I put behind the wheel the guy operating the Gentle Giants moving warehouse and one of the two estate sales guys who were loading up some of our now-unused furniture. Tesla giggles, grins, guffaws. New opinions formed.

Alan

So I am amazed by all the different range of comments I have read about the car on this post. I just got my car this weekend and I am absolutely loving it! I have had a range of mix reviews from a brand new Volvo owner giving me the thumbs up as I were pulling out my garage to someone trying to scald me on the price of the car and how they would never pay that much! My best moment this weekend was when I was showing my mother-in-law's neighbor the car and she said that it looks like something a super hero would drive! I was wearing a Superman shirt so I replied that I'm kind of like a super hero! (Yes, I know Superman does not need a car but that is besides the point!)

Here's a great Tesla moment. A whole line of Tesla's of various models/years in line to drive Skyline Drive in Shenendoah National park, Virginia.

There were 4 in front of me as well as that whole long line you see,
IMG_20161105_151039.jpg

Here's a great Tesla moment. A whole line of Tesla's of various models/years in line to drive Skyline Drive in Shenendoah National park, Virginia.

There were 4 in front of me as well as that whole long line you see,
View attachment 201545
I can see the headline now:
TESLAS CLOG SCENIC HIGHWAY
Investigation continues into role of autopilot
"The way they don't make no sound 'ner smell -- just t'aint natural!"
says local curmudgeon Foss L. Fewel.

;)