Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2015, when Supercharger coverage was spotty at best, we road tripped our Model S from San Jose, CA to Yellowstone and have nothing but the fondest memories. I was educating my then 5 year old on classic rock as Tommy was being streamed whole and vividly remember coming over the top of a ridge to a stunning view of Pyramid lake in Nevada just as the the music was reaching an emotional peak.
Gotta love it when the music perfectly syncs up to the real world.

At the grocery store today, picked up lunch at the deli counter and was just coming back out to my car, the new Model S LR+ with Ultra White seats and Atomic Teal wrap. A huge Ford F-250 Super Duty diesel V8 had parked next to my car, and the driver had just gotten out — and left the engine idling. He looked like your typical country good ol’ boy, lanky, probably about 20 with a baseball cap and developing beard. As I stepped up to my car, he stepped forward to intercept me, and inwardly I braced for possible confrontation. Then he said:

“Do you mind if I take a picture? I saw your interior, it’s beautiful!”

At the grocery store today, picked up lunch at the deli counter and was just coming back out to my car, the new Model S LR+ with Ultra White seats and Atomic Teal wrap. A huge Ford F-250 Super Duty diesel V8 had parked next to my car, and the driver had just gotten out — and left the engine idling. He looked like your typical country good ol’ boy, lanky, probably about 20 with a baseball cap and developing beard. As I stepped up to my car, he stepped forward to intercept me, and inwardly I braced for possible confrontation. Then he said:

“Do you mind if I take a picture? I saw your interior, it’s beautiful!”
I had a similar experience in Red Bluff at the Supercharger. I was able to remain hitched to my camper while charging, and a heavily tattooed guy in a jacked up F-250 pulled up to me. "That thing probably tows like a dream with the torque, right?" He was incredibly supportive and loved the idea of electric towing.

It's great to be reminded that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Haha. No. She just doesn’t want to drive anything else.
I had a quick chat with someone today and when he asked how I liked it I said if I were in an accident and felt the car was totaled I would be on my phone ordering another one before leaving the accident scene. At this point I don't want to drive anything but a Tesla.

I hauled a load of stuff to Goodwill about a year ago and the guy who helped me unload asked about the car. It turned out he had a Chevy pickup I've seen parked in the lot at Goodwill a number of times. He asked me the range and I said mine was an older one with a little less than 300 miles, but the new ones (at the time) could go 370. He said, "hell my pickup only gets 250 miles to a tank!" He was favorably impressed with the hauling capability, I had put a lot of stuff in there and still had a lot of space left.

At this point, I'm only considering Teslas. My 5 yr old Model S is a little more primitive than the current version, but I'm hoping in 5 more years, it will be grossly primitive compared to new ones off the line, and I will deem it necessary to upgrade. Then again, if I get a Cyber Truck in about 3 yrs, maybe I can live with one being primitive - it would be like a curiosity item. I haven't had many conversations lately with people about the Tesla or EVs. I'm sure if I get a Cyber Truck, that will change.

I spent a little over a month traveling through the interior of North Carolina (where there are a surprisingly high coverage in terms of SuperChargers) and I talked to quite a few folks that had never either seen nor heard of Tesla. With that said, I did see a decent number of other cars at the SuC (S, 3, and X models, mostly 3s as expected). When I switch from the S to the CT, I also expect everyone will gawk at it...hopefully that will also spur more people to ask questions about EVs in general, which I always try to take time to answer as best I can. I can't wait to be able to use an EV for everything: I still have to fall back to using our hybrid Highlander for hunting/working on the farm.

I hauled a load of stuff to Goodwill about a year ago and the guy who helped me unload asked about the car. It turned out he had a Chevy pickup I've seen parked in the lot at Goodwill a number of times. He asked me the range and I said mine was an older one with a little less than 300 miles, but the new ones (at the time) could go 370. He said, "hell my pickup only gets 250 miles to a tank!" He was favorably impressed with the hauling capability, I had put a lot of stuff in there and still had a lot of space left.

A different kind of Tesla moment:

My youngest son, age 16, is taking driver's ed. Virtually. 3 hrs/day, 5 days/wk, 2 wks, not including road time with the instructor. He learns, mostly by rote. He takes written tests. He does really well... probably because the questions are of the form, "who has the right of way in an accident? (a) person on the left, (b) person sitting highest, (c) everyone, (d) no one".

He has also been doing a lot of driving with his mother and me in our Model 3. We've also got an S. And my parents have a 3. Our sole remaining ICE vehicle is a 2012 Prius operated by his sister; he has been in it many times but never driven it.

He comes to me a few days ago to report that he scored 90 on a test. What question did he miss? Well, there was a question about a symbol and he couldn't identify the symbol. So I say, did you learn what that symbol is? I don't want to be in the passenger seat when you're suddenly wondering about a road sign! He says, sure, now I know, the symbol means

Low Oil

----
Alan

I have never towed anything with my M3 but until recently hadn't really pushed it up a steep incline. It's like driving on flat road and climbs a 30degree slope with no effort at all, unlike a ICE car that's downshifting and chugging up the hill!
Yes! My S loafs up a steep highway in my county at the 60 mph speed limit, on cruise control. With previous ICE cars I had to downshift from fifth to fourth and drop the speed to avoid lugging the engine. It's been years since I got my S and got rid of the last ICE car, but every time I drive that highway I marvel over the difference!

Last edited:
I live in an area of about one hundred thousand people and not a lot of Tesla’s. At least once a week someone will walk up and tell me it is the prettiest car they have ever seen. Not bad for a 3 year old car. Never dreamed I would ever pay this much for a car but love never cones cheap.
A model S is one of the prettiest cars ever made IMHO.

He does really well... probably because the questions are of the form, "who has the right of way in an accident? (a) person on the left, (b) person sitting highest, (c) everyone, (d) no one".
When I took my written driver's test, it was at a kiosk with a screen and 4 answer buttons. The screen would show a picture, associated question, and 4 choices. The only one I remember was "What vehicle should you give the most following distance behind? A - motorcycle, B - car, C - schoolbus, or D - dumptruck" (actually, I'm guessing on the last 3) And the associated picture was: the driver's view when following a motorcycle. :rolleyes:

The hardest thing I had to do in the driving test was turn the correct direction onto a one-way street when approaching from a T intersection. :rolleyes: