Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sister saw a woman getting out of a black Tesla today, so she struck up a conversation and told her I had one, too. She asked her if she ever attended any of the local events, and the woman said "there are events?!?". She gave my sister her card with her email address and asked her to give to me. I'll send her info on TMC and our FL club, of course!

When my sister asked her how she liked her car, she replied " it's life-changing! "

On the contrary, I've found the fact that Tesla doesn't sell through dealers is one of the things that people are most excited about when I tell them about the car, almost as much as you can drive between cities in an all electric car. Buying a car without going through the Texas auto dealers cartel really resonates with people, even those who aren't into electric cars.

+1

I always make a point of correcting anyone who calls a Tesla Store a dealership. Its the one thing that separates us from the savages. :wink: I usually tell people I bought my car sitting on my couch during a commercial break. I usually get a bug-eyed reaction to that. I've always been one for theatrics. :biggrin:

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but my wife ran into a guy with a Tesla jacked in the elevator where she works. She asked if he had a Tesla and it turns out he was a service technician at my local Service Center. He knew me and all about my car when she mentioned my name.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but my wife ran into a guy with a Tesla jacked in the elevator where she works. She asked if he had a Tesla and it turns out he was a service technician at my local Service Center. He knew me and all about my car when she mentioned my name.

I'm not sure I would categorize that as a positive thing -- I mean being so well know by the local Service Center technician. They have never seen me or my car and I prefer to keep it that way for as long as possible :wink:

Must have been a big elevator. (autocorrection is worse than typos :)

In Hong Kong, few people charge at home, most of us rely on superchargers. The Model S only launched at the end of July this year, and I mine just over two months. Rumours and collection of statistics and government data suggests that there are 300-400 Model S on the roads of Hong Kong now, possibly 500 or more by year end. This is a place with less than 10 million people, but most people don't even own a car (there are taxis everywhere, and buses/trains are also everywhere).

The Tesla community is growing, and besides TMC Forums, we also have several other networks running, like several Whatsapp groups and a facebook group.

What most often happens when I am at a supercharger is that I meet someone who doesn't know (yet) about the networks. So first I get them to join the whatsapp group and then TMC. I have more tha 80 contacts now who own (or co-own, or drive) a Model S in Hong Kong. It's funny that most times I get to a supercharger I intend to read something but end up chatting up other Model S owners :)

These are typical "Tesla Moments", I had many already. Being an avid Teslavocate, I have recruited many already - and our strong force of owners will hopefully soon amount to a "plugged in" organisation in Hong Kong - to put weight behind the promotion of electric cars and in particular, the charging infrastructure.

This could also go in "Random Sightings" but...

Last night my bf and I wanted to drive through a local neighborhood who go all out decorating for Christmas. They have been doing it for over 20 years, with donations going to the local Hospice org. Anyway, in true FL fashion, we chose to NOT take my Tesla, but take his brand new convertible Camaro, top down of course.

On our way back home, as we passed a strip mall a few blocks from home, out of the corner of my eye I spied a white Model S. As we approached the red light right at that corner it registered that there was also a MC red next to it with a lighted front T. Could only be two people... FLDarren and Great Dane! I told my bf "turn here, turn here!" He had no idea what was going on. We pulled in and it was them, alright. We had a nice chat and Jim got to show off HIS new baby for a change, although he had to endure lots of ICE jokes of course!

I started reading this thread a couple days ago and am only about a third of the way through it. I will get my MS in early March, when the 85Ds start coming out. I would have had one by now, but when I switch from an 85 to an 85D the wait went from about now to approximately the first week in March. So I don't have mine yet, but I had something of a Tesla Moment last night, a different kind of Tesla Moment. That is, if a Tesla Moment is someone else having strong feelings about you having a Tesla.

We were out with some friends for dinner, actually the same friends that raved and did high fives with us when we told them a few months ago that we were getting a Tesla. Last night, on the way to dinner, we heard a thunk sort of sound, we had run over something in their Lexus SUV, but didn't think much of it. When we left the restaurant a couple hours later, their car was warning him of a low tire (7 lbs.!) so we stopped and filled it and headed to our house. So we were making plans to make sure they would get to their house with the crippled (we could watch the poundage go down every few minutes or so) Lexus. So in planning to get them home, the wife, let's call her ICE wife, ICE wife (she has a 5 series BMW) says, "I am not sure you are actually getting a Tesla. It keeps getting longer and longer for you to get that car! I'm calling that Tesla, the Unicorn, it's mythical" To get her back, I said, "Well, I guess if your tire goes flat on your way home from our place tonight, I'll come pick you up in the Tesla!" We all laughed.

I do believe she is really excited for us to get a Tesla and there is a bit of envy going on there...

On the contrary, I've found the fact that Tesla doesn't sell through dealers is one of the things that people are most excited about when I tell them about the car, almost as much as you can drive between cities in an all electric car. Buying a car without going through the Texas auto dealers cartel really resonates with people, even those who aren't into electric cars.
Yeah, even here in SoCal people are still pleasantly astounded when I tell them that I configured, ordered, and paid for the car on my iPad and never had to deal with a dealer.

This could also go in "Random Sightings" but...

Last night my bf and I wanted to drive through a local neighborhood who go all out decorating for Christmas. They have been doing it for over 20 years, with donations going to the local Hospice org. Anyway, in true FL fashion, we chose to NOT take my Tesla, but take his brand new convertible Camaro, top down of course.

On our way back home, as we passed a strip mall a few blocks from home, out of the corner of my eye I spied a white Model S. As we approached the red light right at that corner it registered that there was also a MC red next to it with a lighted front T. Could only be two people... FLDarren and Great Dane! I told my bf "turn here, turn here!" He had no idea what was going on. We pulled in and it was them, alright. We had a nice chat and Jim got to show off HIS new baby for a change, although he had to endure lots of ICE jokes of course!
Lighted t could've been me!

Back in March I decided I wanted the Tesla before a June vacation. I called the Orlando sales office ( Sarasota just opened) and asked for a test drive and was told they would be offering them in the area in April. I mentioned that I wouldn't buy without driving first and I really wanted the car for June and didn't Tesla only provide delivery in 90 days?
They offered to come to the house and we set a date. I drove with my wife in the passenger seat and the Tesla rep in the back. After an hour of tooling around on various road types the rep asked what I thought. I said when I got home I would be sitting down at the computer to order. He said would I like to order now? He had his iPad. So I ordered my car while taking the test drive!

Tesla Moment #1 from me. hahaha :rolleyes:

Picked up our P85 last week (12/3/14). The key fob is attached to my other keychain together with my ICE car key. This happened to me about three times already where I would get in to my P85, hold my ICE key and try to insert it to the car ignition realizing two things, one, i'm holding the wrong key and two, there is no ignition to insert the key or even a push start button. hahaha :tongue:

More tesla moments from me to come for sure.

Tesla Moment #1 from me. hahaha :rolleyes:

Picked up our P85 last week (12/3/14). The key fob is attached to my other keychain together with my ICE car key. This happened to me about three times already where I would get in to my P85, hold my ICE key and try to insert it to the car ignition realizing two things, one, i'm holding the wrong key and two, there is no ignition to insert the key or even a push start button. hahaha :tongue:

More tesla moments from me to come for sure.

Wait until you walk away from your ICE car while it's still running and unlocked. The other fun one is to almost launch yourself (while in said ICE car) into the back of someones car when you let off on the accelerator expecting the car to actually stop.