Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Texas Auto Dealership owner* rode in the front passenger seat, as one of an Uber party of three (Whiskey Festival. Lots of drop-offs and pick-ups there, LOL) this weekend.
I first gave him a warm handshake. He had several very astute questions, a notch above the usual ones so he had already done his homework about range, charge time, etc.

The ride was long enough for them to get a good experience of the Nav, acceleration, cornering... and he admitted to being "very impressed."
As to the Texas laws and general auto-industry attitude towards TM, I kept my statements to the context of "opportunities" that the rest of the industry has at this exciting, change-charged moment in history.

Rear passenger (the Uber was on her dime) stated the irony of her hailing from California yet not yet ridden in a Tesla until visiting Houston, Texas.
LOL again.

*Geez, I wish now I'd asked his name. From his maturity, I'd guesstimate he owns at least 4-5 established dealerships... and that's probably underguesstimating, given the trend toward Car Dynasties here.

I just took delivery of my Model S a few days ago so my wife would have a safer and 10x funner commuter car. We drove to her office together today so I could walk her through how to operate the car. We plug into a J1772 charger and I take off for the day using a different car we had previously stashed at the office.

She messages me saying she forgot she had a lunch appt and wanted to know how to remove the charger. I sent her instructions via text message and didn't hear back for awhile, so decided to open up the Tesla app. Had a big grin when I saw the car's location moving in real time and pleased to see the battery charged to the limit.

Man, this company just does things differently and I love it. :biggrin:

I had a couple of moments last week which was my first week of ownership of a red S85.

I always arrive early to the office and as such have my choice of parking spots. I typically take the first spot by a crosswalk leading to the door so I only have to worry about door dings on one side. So anyway, the very first morning I arrive in "Tess" and take my usual spot. A short while later my boss appears in my doorway with a huge grin on his face. Boss:"Seriously!?!?! A TESLA!?!?!?". He came by again about an hour later and asked to go out for the tour.

A couple days later, I was giving the tour to 3 engineers one of whom drives a motor cycle or his pickup and is a little bit of a redneck. He was very interested and when we went for a drive and I hit the accelerator his eyes were huge!
Him: "This is an electric car?"
That changed everything he had previously thought about green vehicles. Maybe 3 hours later, he comes back to my office:
Him: "How much horsepower does that car have?"
Me: "About 362."
Him: "And it's all electric..." Obviously, he was still scratching his head and trying to reconcile that with what he thought he knew! :biggrin:

I had to do a U-turn at a 3-way stop intersection. I could see a car coming from my left but had already started, so I just continued slowly to allow the other car to complete their stop and right turn before me. It was nice out and we both had our windows down. I motioned for him to go ahead, but he kind of waited, kind of inched ahead so that I didn't think I could complete my turn without coming uncomfortably close to him.

Me: "Go ahead"
Him: "That's all right, you go ahead"
Me: "Ummm, I don't think I can make the turn"

So he nods and continues to the stop sign. Just as he gets there he says, explaining why he was reticent to move:

"I just really like watching Tesla's in motion!"

I had to file a police report today (some jerk scratched our bumper but we caught it on our dashcam!)

The reporting officer who was taking my details asked me some questions…
(This whole conversation was very friendly and casual. She seemed both amused and curious.)

"What kind of car do you have?"
"A Tesla Model S"
"Model S?...what the hell kinda car is that?"
"It's an electric car. Never need to buy gas again"

"...How do you charge it?"
"Oh, you can plug it into any outlet, even a wall outlet."
"Ah, I see, although you couldn't do that on the street right?"
"You can also charge it at a public charging station, there's one a few blocks from here."
"Hmm! An electric car, huh…"

Five minutes later she gives me back a copy of the report... lol

jGWTiQI.jpg

Literal transcription of the Boston/New England accent (I remember "carcinomer" from past conversations). :biggrin:

As an Englishman I have gotten to know Boston accents from your program "This Old House", I now read the comments of all people from Boston and Massachusetts with Roger Cooks accent :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving on a two-lane country highway early this evening my attention was grabbed by a white Pontiac coming towards me that looked like it was veering hard to its left and about to cross the divided highway, into my lane. Before it crossed, it turned hard back the other way, and then did that again, several more times. I realized the driver was signaling me. He definitely got my attention! I acknowledged the same way, though not nearly as violently.

Driving on a two-lane country highway early this evening my attention was grabbed by a white Pontiac coming towards me that looked like it was veering hard to its left and about to cross the divided highway, into my lane. Before it crossed, it turned hard back the other way, and then did that again, several more times. I realized the driver was signaling me. He definitely got my attention! I acknowledged the same way, though not nearly as violently.

he'd never heard of waving or flashing his lights....? Sounds like a pretty dangerous way to say "hi".

My wife and I had a great Tesla moment on Sunday in Melbourne Australia when we had a brunch in hill country with some of new Tesla owners in Australia. We are spending a few warmer months in Australia avoiding the Canadian winter.

Of 42 Model S owners in all of Australia as of yesterday, 6 were at event. It was good to share views with new owners and to see faces of those in parking lot point out "that's a Tesla". Several people came over to have a look!!

Keep in mind price of Model S in Australia is nearly twice price in North America, a lot due to govt luxury car taxes. Discovered that Model S owners in Australia receive their home wall charger from Tesla as part of price but no charging adapters are provided. Most of charging is done at home with chargers slowly being introduced throughout the region. The govt also does not allow the Internet to be connected to the cars as we have in NA. Two superchargers are in Sydney but none in Melbourne yet. Electric cars also do not receive a govt rebate here. It is the true electric car buff who orders the "S" here. We are spoiled in North America with our electric car infrastructure compared to here.

Seeing wll the "S's" parked close to each other made us want to return home so that we could drive our own "S".