Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moving To 48V System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember reading about the automobile industry switching to a 48V electrical system 30 years ago; still waiting. Tesla could be among the first to change to a 48V system. This would have to include design and manufacture of all-new 48V replacement components for everything that currently runs on 12V (16V). So door locks, window mechanisms, power seats, HVAC blower, wiper motor, lighting and audio system. Computer might still require 12V; USB ports (if still provided); USB-C could be from 5V up to 20V. The accessory outlets would probably continue to supply 16V as with the current Tesla vehicles.

Reactions: howardnj
It's a complicated, bold move however it does allow for smaller gauge wiring. Accessory makers are going to have fun trying to adapt however it is doable at a higher expense though. Oddly enough, Starlink works off of 48vdc also.

It all started with 6v systems, then the move to 12. Big rigs and larger boats operate off of 24v. I know our electric forklifts operate off of 48v. 48v is supposed to be the future of solar as it is more efficient to run a system at this voltage. Everything EV today is based on efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin and jcanoe
Tesla already did a lot of “prep work” for this by putting lithium 15V lithium LV batteries into their cars for past year. They have a DC-DC converter that steps down the voltage to 12V for most of the car’s electronics. Now they can raise that voltage to 48V, update the DC-DC converter (in vcfront), and update a few components that will run on 48V.

So just like current cars are triple voltage (12V, 15V, and ~350V nominal) new ones will also be (12V, 48V, 350+V). 12V will still be needed for auxiliary outlets, trailer output, and for sure lots of other components as well.

Is there a benefit other than thinner wires?
Generally easier power management & distribution. Smaller fuses, lighter and more flexible wiring, simpler components...

Decades ago, components began drawing a lot more power - amplifiers, onboard computers, HVAC, plug-in accessories. It is really hard to support these with normal fuses and wiring. So, the easy button is increase the system voltage so everything gets easier. It is especially critical on an EV, where everything runs off the low voltage system, so stuff like the power steering and HVAC, which are power suckers, are just way cheaper and easier on a higher voltage platform.

48V has been around since at least the early 90s when car power demands really started to balloon. Probably coincided with the minivan era with electric everything and all the in-car kid AV stuff. But nobody was bold enough to actually move forward with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCTAZRichard
It's a complicated, bold move however it does allow for smaller gauge wiring. Accessory makers are going to have fun trying to adapt however it is doable at a higher expense though. Oddly enough, Starlink works off of 48vdc also.

It all started with 6v systems, then the move to 12. Big rigs and larger boats operate off of 24v. I know our electric forklifts operate off of 48v. 48v is supposed to be the future of solar as it is more efficient to run a system at this voltage. Everything EV today is based on efficiency.
85% of Cybertruck modules are made by Tesla. 100% of Gen 3 will be.
By accessory makers, do you mean 3rd party historically 12V stuff? I'd expect Tesla to add standard voltage port(s). Or USB-C converters.

48V is popular in telecom and 60V is a common voltage step in FETs. It's also near the upper end of the lower requirements low voltage class.

By accessory makers, do you mean 3rd party historically 12V stuff? I'd expect Tesla to add standard voltage port(s). Or USB-C converters.
I also expect 12v sockets and usb ports to retain their voltage however aftermarket puddle lights and the struts for an auto frunk would need to be 48V. Want to change the led bulb in the trunk? You will need 48v versions. I doubt they will run another entire sub structure on 12v. They will need to continue with some 12v stuff such as hooking up trailer lights on a Y, we just do not know how far they will take the 48V system.

Is there a benefit other than thinner wires?
P=V*A
higher voltage means lower amperage necessary to deliver the same power.

thinner wires, cheaper motors for window regulators, windshield wipers, lift-gates, etc etc.

it's possible that Tesla would implement a common buss system on the cars, meaning power and signaling on the same circuits, which would be an enormous savings in wire loom (harness) lengths and weight. You might be able to find an early Munro YT video outlining that concept.

I also expect 12v sockets and usb ports to retain their voltage however aftermarket puddle lights and the struts for an auto frunk would need to be 48V. Want to change the led bulb in the trunk? You will need 48v versions. I doubt they will run another entire sub structure on 12v. They will need to continue with some 12v stuff such as hooking up trailer lights on a Y, we just do not know how far they will take the 48V system.
It's not difficult to run a string of LEDs off 48V.
Could just use a resistor, but that's wasteful.