Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Neurio Device Accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So earliest Tesla can come out is still next Friday, but after seeing another post about someone with the same sign flip on grid consumption and how they just swapped the Ch1 and Ch2 connectors (much easier and less scary than swapping at the CT side since mine are buried behind a protective plastic cage surrounding my incoming power lines that are exposed metal bars) and were able to flip the sign, I tried it out and it seems to have worked! Tesla app has the correct sign for grid consumption and I'm no longer magically producing solar in the middle of the night with zero house consumption! Now I can finally see what my real solar production and consumption numbers look like, though wildfire smoke blowing in now and won't be able to get a good read on the max production to see if there are any issues that I can mention to the tech when they come out. Also, fingers crossed it doesn't start behaving weirdly after a few days like you guys experienced, though if it does, hopefully the tech will be able to fix it.

Awesome, I hope that works for you long term. When I did that it only helped for a few days and created other issues. If I remember correctly I needed to reboot it every few days. Wasn’t going to work long term.

Guys/Gals,
I need some helps. As many of you, I have some reading issues with the app/Neurio Meter. From my observation, I can tell the readings are wrong but according to Tesla, they don't see anything problems on their side. It seems my numbers between Home and Grid are reversed.

Solar Only: 12 Kw, Two Inverters
Below are some pics and sample data:

Daytime Solar Reading
Solar Home Grid Utility Meter
6.6 5.2 1.4 -5.2
7.6 6 1.6 -6
As you can see, Home and Utility are closely matched.

Night Time Reading
0 .3 .3 3.10
Here, it shows the app shows I only pulled .3 Kw but the Utility Meter indicates 3.10 Kw which is more accurate.

Some pics of my set-up:

Attachments

• Inverter 1.jpg
    Inverter 1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 120
  • Inverter 2.jpg
    Inverter 2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 91
  • Neurio 1.jpg
    Neurio 1.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Neurio 2.jpg
    Neurio 2.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 97
Guys/Gals,
I need some helps. As many of you, I have some reading issues with the app/Neurio Meter. From my observation, I can tell the readings are wrong but according to Tesla, they don't see anything problems on their side. It seems my numbers between Home and Grid are reversed.

Solar Only: 12 Kw, Two Inverters
Below are some pics and sample data:

Daytime Solar Reading
6.6 5.2 1.4 -5.2
7.6 6 1.6 -6
As you can see, Home and Utility are closely matched.

Night Time Reading
0 .3 .3 3.10
Here, it shows the app shows I only pulled .3 Kw but the Utility Meter indicates 3.10 Kw which is more accurate.

Some pics of my set-up:
Your setup looks to be very close to mine. The picture with the CTs is a little close to tell where they connected them. I had a couple of issues. 1. The CT’s weren’t installed close enough where the grid power started. 2. These new Neurio devices are mess up and who know how. You’ll need to change the configuration (CT’s) as noted in this thread or have an electrician do it. Tesla won’t do it or at least not where I live, so I did it myself. I would imagine that everyone with this base configuration is going to see this issue.

Those two CTs are never going to correctly measure the grid if they're only clamped around two of the wires.
Good catch. A few years ago I had a similar panel and could not connect the CT clamps there. With the help of a knowledgeable and skilled friend we were able to access the service conductors safely. This is not recommended for the unskilled since there is no way to disconnect the power to these conductors except at the transformer.

Good catch. A few years ago I had a similar panel and could not connect the CT clamps there. With the help of a knowledgeable and skilled friend we were able to access the service conductors safely. This is not recommended for the unskilled since there is no way to disconnect the power to these conductors except at the transformer.
It looks like you have a center fed panel that uses 4 wires between the meter and the main panel. Those two CTs are never going to correctly measure the grid if they're only clamped around two of the wires.
So you are saying that I need 4 CTs/one for each line in order to read the energy consumption correctly? I have a case open with Tesla so any information I can give them would be helpful.

So you are saying that I need 4 CTs/one for each line in order to read the energy consumption correctly? I have a case open with Tesla so any information I can give them would be helpful.
Either that or each CT needs to be placed around both conductors that are on the same phase (ie. two red wires through one CT and two black wires through the other). However, there is usually not a good way to do this because of the way these panels are built and how stiff those wires are.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Here we go again. Looks like real time data issues again from my Tesla Neurio device. The information is off with my Sense solution (solar high, home low). Trying to quantify now and will try a robot but anyone else seeing strange real-time data? Tesla might be adjusting something but unsure at this point.

Attachments

• 622EF69B-0BDC-4400-A102-6780AE389F39.jpeg
    622EF69B-0BDC-4400-A102-6780AE389F39.jpeg
    584.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 4C58B66B-72FA-4D37-9957-598B924659DA.jpeg
    4C58B66B-72FA-4D37-9957-598B924659DA.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 93
Here we go again. Looks like real time data issues again from my Tesla Neurio device. The information is off with my Sense solution (solar high, home low). Trying to quantify now and will try a robot but anyone else seeing strange real-time data? Tesla might be adjusting something but unsure at this point.

I saw unexpected home usage numbers in the Tesla app around the time the app was updated to the new look, although I’m not sure if my case was directly related to the new app. I restarted the inverter and then things went back to normal.

I hardly ever check the Tesla app for this info, though, since I’m mainly relying on Sense.

I saw unexpected home usage numbers in the Tesla app around the time the app was updated to the new look, although I’m not sure if my case was directly related to the new app. I restarted the inverter and then things went back to normal.

I hardly ever check the Tesla app for this info, though, since I’m mainly relying on Sense.
When the Neurio was rebooted it really didn't help at all. I did bounce both inverters and now it does seem better but I had lost the sun so will validate tomorrow. Yes, the Sense has been pretty reliable and tracks very close with my utility. Close enough I can estimate/track my bill each month. I just would like the Tesla monitoring history to not get too far off track if possible. Its only a matter of time though based on how I have it working with the help of this forum.

Has anyone looked at the Tesla Neurio KWh initial report a little after midnight on the impact tab? It jumps to some arbitrary number that’s fairly large for just a few min into the next day. I didn’t take a screen shot but will tonight and my Home and Grid are reporting correctly at the moment. It’s very strange and impacts the the home usage. Comparing it with the Sense app that I know is accurate.
@MCNE did you ever get this weird issue resolved? I'm seeing the same thing. Early in the day I'll have zero real grid usage, but the Grid display will show equal amounts of From/To grid that cancel each other out. The delta is always correct, but the stats below the graph are bogus. And somehow this bogus data also gets into the Home tab (slightly modified which is odd) and corrupts the Self-Powered percentages. On a day I was 100% self-powered it will show ~70% due to the bogus grid data.

The graphs are correct and the downloaded data is correct, so I think it's just an app issue. But it's annoying that you can't rely on the app to display the data properly.

I'm also seeing a small issue where either the Neurio or Gateway current monitor starts to drift and I'll see very small amounts (0.2 kW) of grid usage. A reset seems to clear it up and it goes back to zero grid usage for 24 hours or so. I need to do some more investigation to see which monitor is glitching. Not sure if this could be related to the C1/C4 Neurio issue you originally reported on.

Last edited:
Yes that’s the CT issues I had to work through that corrected the problem, #15. The other issue that occurs just after midnight is expected behavior per Tesla and not an issue. I now also run the Sense monitoring tool side by side with Tessa’s solution.

Swapped my CTs around today. Fingers crossed this will fix my data issues as well. Will report back tomorrow with results.

Didn't see anyone mention it, but I had to run the Setup Wizard to disable CT2 and enable CT4.

What's interesting is that both CT1 and CT4 are labeled as Phase A in the Wizard and CT2 is labeled as Phase B. Once I moved the CT to CT4 and inverted the collar, the power numbers matched what I was seeing before on CT2.

Swapping the CTs didn't fix my issue, but I'm starting to understand what is really going on. I don't know if this is something Tesla can fix on their end or not. The system works as expected, but the power reporting in the app gets messed up.

I have two site CTs (one in the Gateway and one upstream on my non-backup panel). When solar/powerwalls are sending power to the non-backup panel it gets counted twice as From and To Grid power. To Grid through the Gateway CT and From Grid through the non-backup CT. These cancel out to give zero net grid usage. When I'm actually exporting excess solar power, it will only report as To Grid through the Gateway CT.

The issue arises when the app starts using the From Grid numbers in the Home Usage tab.

Home = From Solar + consumption (Powerwall + grid)

The consumption gets messed up when trying to use the From Grid number instead of any positive Net Grid Usage. The strange part is the graphs are correct. It knows where the power came from (solar vs powerall vs grid), but the stats are all wrong and mess up the totals and the Self-Powered percentage.

Anyone have a similar setup with a partial-backup and two site CTs?

Swapping the CTs didn't fix my issue, but I'm starting to understand what is really going on. I don't know if this is something Tesla can fix on their end or not. The system works as expected, but the power reporting in the app gets messed up.

I have two site CTs (one in the Gateway and one upstream on my non-backup panel). When solar/powerwalls are sending power to the non-backup panel it gets counted twice as From and To Grid power. To Grid through the Gateway CT and From Grid through the non-backup CT. These cancel out to give zero net grid usage. When I'm actually exporting excess solar power, it will only report as To Grid through the Gateway CT.

The issue arises when the app starts using the From Grid numbers in the Home Usage tab.

Home = From Solar + consumption (Powerwall + grid)

The consumption gets messed up when trying to use the From Grid number instead of any positive Net Grid Usage. The strange part is the graphs are correct. It knows where the power came from (solar vs powerall vs grid), but the stats are all wrong and mess up the totals and the Self-Powered percentage.

Anyone have a similar setup with a partial-backup and two site CTs?
Swapping them is a part of it but one CT needed to be reversed as well. Sounds like you have a more complex setup than I do with only two CTs. These devices from Tesla are messed up. They had no idea why my configuration was working and they were on-site looking at it. Try reversing one of the CTs at a time as well.