Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer matches Carmax on Tesla Trade-Ins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for those of you who got Tesla to match Carmax on your trade, I assume you did this prior to your delivery day? And if so, how did you go about getting them to match? Who did you contact, and how?

Trying this right now so will let you know how I make out.
Had a Tesla trade offer (non-Telsa car)

My delivery/pickup day is this Friday, when I also drop off my trade.
Stopped by CarMax this morning, got a quote which came in $700 more than the Tesla trade amount.

Emailed my OA Sales Person and texted my assigned Delivery Advisor ; asked them each if Tesla would match. Assigned delivery advisor asked me to send her a photo of the CarMax printout which I just sent.
Now I wait.

I just did it, last Saturday.

I just emailed my OA a Scan of the CarMax Quote and a little while later the Online order reflected the new trade value.
It was only $1000 more in this case, but it was easy.

Okay great, keep me posted.

Did you accept the Tesla offer in your account? Or select no trade?

I had already accepted the Telsa trade offer on my account and paid my balance to zero so that does potentially make things a little difficult but figured it was worth the shot. Would have questioned myself if I didn't stop at CarMax ; it only took 45 minutes and there is one not far from me.
I imagine if they accept and increase the trade offer to match they would give me a check at closing for the difference?

I had already accepted the Telsa trade offer on my account and paid my balance to zero so that does potentially make things a little difficult but figured it was worth the shot. Would have questioned myself if I didn't stop at CarMax ; it only took 45 minutes and there is one not far from me.
I imagine if they accept and increase the trade offer to match they would give me a check at closing for the difference?

You question is one of mine as well.

You question is one of mine as well.

Ok got some good news.
They matched the CarMax offer in just a few hours time.

Logging into my account, I see they increased the trade and adjusted the loan borrowing amount, so instead of them paying me at closing my loan monthly payment went down as did the amount shown I am borrowing.
Was very painless and glad I pursued it.

Having just done this I would say the best way is to wait until you have a delivery date and a delivery service advisor assigned before going to CarMax. They seem to be the better contact to flow this through compared to your sales OA contact.

Reactions: dblankenbaker