Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Noob -- What to consider before ordering a Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never been in a Tesla until today when I test drove an MY and completely loved it. I'm planning to get the standard range model (I thought about the MYP but want a softer ride and concerned about eating through the more expensive tires).

Timing is tough because I'll be out of town the month of August and the sales person said you only have 3 days to pick up the Tesla when it gets to the dealership. So I guess I'll need to wait about a month to place the order? Hopefully prices don't go up then.

My electric company gives me a $1,100 rebate on a home charger and install so I'll plan to set that up through them. I'm wondering if the mobile charger would be worthwhile as well, but think I'll just hit up super charge stations for trips - I take a few trips 160+ miles away every year.

For accessories, I plan to get different wheel cap covers -- not sure where I'll get them yet. Any other accessories I should consider?

I've done a lot of research on the pros and cons of owning a Tesla and assuming I don't have any big problems think the pros will be well worth it for my family and me.

Any other recommendations?

Don't want to promote myself but my channel has alot of info for new owners! Accessories included!

I say you got the important stuff like home charging out of the way. Floor mats is something I like. It's not that hard once you get a Tesla! You'll be super happy! Welcome to the family

Lots to read here about range, charging, etc... I've been doing this for 5 years now after BMW's, etc... as many others. Key is research to prep for the change, much to consider. Long trips are great. But you're on the right track - enjoy! You won't regret it, and it's where everyone is going eventually....

Chris, checked out your channel, I’ve been there before, like your presentations, nice work

Brian, there can be a lot to add to your MY for fine tuning it for better. You can research or check Chros’ channel and others but my looking back advice (all protections):

PPF the front and rockers at a minimum, don’t do DIY
2x coats of ceramic DIY or hire someone
Tuxmats are amazing, do rhe full set including the rear cargo
Pet tarp rear drop in if you have. dog
Install front grill mesh
Display glass protection
Rear hatch, stainless steel plate
Tesla front mud flaps, have Tesla install
DIY rear mud flaps
Tint all windows if affordable
Watch for Tesla, backup Key on Apple Watch
Interior ceramic on all sitting surfaces and steering wheel
Canter console surface applied protection
Center console padded cover
Door sill protectors, 4x
Center console floor side protectors, Lasfit (Tuxmats might protect that area, check, I have 3D and needed the Lasfits)
Door pocket drop ins 4x
Center console Cup holder protector
If you ever get fancy wheels, get Magbak Rimcases
If you install wheel covers, get one extra as spare for you will get curb rash

Think that is it for protection, you will figure out the rest in your own

Btw, order with the tow hitch for more flexibility

I would recommend the LR over the standard AWD.

You get a more range for not that much more money. Even if you don’t necessarily need the range all the time, it will be handy in the winter where you lose range and in the future as the battery capacity degrades over time.
Second the notion. We've got a 2018 M3 LR RWD and a 2021 MY LR.

Modern Teslas have a heat pump; they don't lose as much range as that 2018 M3 which can go down by a third in range in cold weather.

The M3 originally had a 320 mile range when full in 9/2018; it's now down to just short of 300 miles, which is kind of expected, and is a 6.25% drop, not bad for a 5 year old BEV. But that will likely happen to you, too.

The other thing you need to start thinking about: How to charge the car at home. That's typically 1/3 of Supercharger rates and worthwhile.

Charging at home is a Very Positive Thing if you can swing it. It's cheaper than Superchargers; if you have 240 VAC available, it's typically overnight. No More Gas Stations 😁 .

Best bet is if your house breaker panel (a) has room for a duplex 240 VAC breaker, just like the one for your HVAC; (b) has the capacity for the amperage of an additional breaker (if you can swing 60A additional, that's great); and (c) is somewhere near your garage.

If you have issues with (a), you probably have issues with (b) as well. In this case, many States have subsidies/incentives to get a higher power feed from Ye Power Company. Further, an electrician will have Solutions for these kinds of problems, ranging from additional sub panels and the like.

Some people discover that, for some $RANDOM reason, they have a 240 VAC socket in the garage; maybe somebody needed something for a welder. That would be a slight windfall, if true.

Tesla keeps a list of electricians that have been certified to do the work on their web site. Get bids. The NACS wall connector is probably cheaper than putting in a 240 VAC socket with its attached GFI.

In my place, relatively new construction, there's a 200A breaker panel, there was plenty of spare capacity, and the panel was in the garage. The electricians took a couple of hours to do the work.

Chris, checked out your channel, I’ve been there before, like your presentations, nice work

Brian, there can be a lot to add to your MY for fine tuning it for better. You can research or check Chros’ channel and others but my looking back advice (all protections):

PPF the front and rockers at a minimum, don’t do DIY
2x coats of ceramic DIY or hire someone
Tuxmats are amazing, do rhe full set including the rear cargo
Pet tarp rear drop in if you have. dog
Install front grill mesh
Display glass protection
Rear hatch, stainless steel plate
Tesla front mud flaps, have Tesla install
DIY rear mud flaps
Tint all windows if affordable
Watch for Tesla, backup Key on Apple Watch
Interior ceramic on all sitting surfaces and steering wheel
Canter console surface applied protection
Center console padded cover
Door sill protectors, 4x
Center console floor side protectors, Lasfit (Tuxmats might protect that area, check, I have 3D and needed the Lasfits)
Door pocket drop ins 4x
Center console Cup holder protector
If you ever get fancy wheels, get Magbak Rimcases
If you install wheel covers, get one extra as spare for you will get curb rash

Think that is it for protection, you will figure out the rest in your own

Btw, order with the tow hitch for more flexibility
Everyone has different needs /. expectations but me that list is way overdone. I did get the factory hitch for bikes and the screen protector. None of the other stuff and I'm still happy with mine almost 3 years in now.

Interesting, today washing the M3 we pulled a rock out of the protective grill mesh. Recent posts of people with things stuck under the Tesla but inside the structure cause a noise they cannot fix. There is a constant threat of road debris getting stuck under the vehicle.
Consider yourself lucky.

Thanks all for the replies. Great info! Awesome channel Chris, my wife just said she found it before I posted here.

A friend of mine also recommended getting the LR. I'm up in the air because most of the driving I'll do is around town - 50 miles or less round trip. For our typical road trips (maybe 6 a year), we drive about 350 miles total (I figure that would probably be 1 stop to charge regardless of version) and average one long road trip a year 1,000+ miles total.

However, we'll keep our Subaru Outback (need two cars for my family) so can also take that on any long trips.

Any thoughts with the additional info?

If you have rhe Outback, why do you need a second SUV? We have a MYP and our second need was solved with a M3RWD. This M3 is the perfect quick short trip run around car complement to the large MY.

If you have rhe Outback, why do you need a second SUV? We have a MYP and our second need was solved with a M3RWD. This M3 is the perfect quick short trip run around car complement to the large MY.

We considered the M3, but my spouse really wants the MY. Since it's only ~$7k more, I agree.
The extra space will be nice for my family even just for a lot of around town trips (like camping, to the lake, carrying 5 passengers more comfortably, etc) and she likes being higher up. Our Outback is a bit older (a 2015 with over 100k miles) so I'm thinking/hoping it'll last a while longer, but some issues have come up.
So the MY will be the main family car (driven about 14k miles a year) and the OB would be the backup (driven about 4k miles a year)

LR also gets better audio, sub

Are there any other differences other than 0-60 times? Is it the same battery type, just a bigger pack? Do they supercharge at the same rate? I believe Elon tweeted the standard batteries should last 300k miles and the LR 500k. I don't know if there's truth to that but if LR batteries tend to last longer, that would be another reason.

After considering all this, I'll probably get the LR. Seems like that's what a lot of Tesla owners recommend and I figure the extra range, slightly faster, better audio,... will be well worth the extra ~$3k especially since I plan to keep the car for a while.

To help confuse you more, run the Outback vin on the Tesla trade in link.
We traded in two ICE vehicles within two months and the last one with check engine light, un repaired bodywork, 20+ years old and 200k miles we received credit of $9000, amazing.
Trading in the outback for the MYLR might help you to then decide the second vehicle to be the M3. Also in the USA you can get 2x tax credits.

just sayin on all of these points

Reactions: gt2690b
We traded in two ICE vehicles within two months and the last one with check engine light, un repaired bodywork, 20+ years old and 200k miles we received credit of $9000, amazing.
Can't believe someone is actually advising to trade-in via Tesla. Maybe it works better for older cars. 🤷‍♂️

I'm with the OP, as we're keeping an ICE vehicle for now. Don't want to jump in with all feet! :)

For anyone using any site, when considering an EV purchase, start with the trade in value. Seeing a high price trade in can help move the thoughts forward to making a decision.
Also
It’s 2023, jump in for there is no fear, the EV S curve of adoption is in the climb phase
Life’s good with Teslas

Trading in the outback for the MYLR might help you to then decide the second vehicle to be the M3. Also in the USA you can get 2x tax credits.

just sayin on all of these points
Good to know, thanks. I don't think we want two new cars since I don't drive the backup that much, but we are planning to get rid of our 2007 Honda Pilot. Will be interesting to see how much of a trade in we'd get for that.

Don't want to promote myself but my channel has alot of info for new owners! Accessories included!

I say you got the important stuff like home charging out of the way. Floor mats is something I like. It's not that hard once you get a Tesla! You'll be super happy! Welcome to the family
Chris,

Help me out with the floor mat thing. Seems many people buy 3rd party floor mats, but the car comes with floor mats. What am I missing?

Reactions: everydaychris
For anyone using any site, when considering an EV purchase, start with the trade in value. ...
They were by far the lowest for me, and from what I can tell, many others on here. You are the first poster I've seen that actually thought they got a competitive offer through them. They were almost $3k below their initial estimate, so I had to scramble after my VIN was assigned. Luckily, there are many online ways to do this now (Carvana, Vroom, Carmax, KBB, Driveway, etc...). Like I mentioned, maybe it works better on older higher mileage vehicles.

A friend of mine also recommended getting the LR. I'm up in the air because most of the driving I'll do is around town - 50 miles or less round trip. For our typical road trips (maybe 6 a year), we drive about 350 miles total (I figure that would probably be 1 stop to charge regardless of version) and average one long road trip a year 1,000+ miles total.
It likely would be 2 charges to be comfortable on the standard AWD but 1 charge if you charge to 100% each time before and during the trip. Definitely LR would do it easily on one charge.

Figure real world range is about 85% of EPA rated and then you only get 70% of that (going from 80% charge down to 10%). That’s 166 miles on the standard AWD before factoring speed and weather variations. That’s also without considering if you get the 20” wheels, future new tires that might be less efficient, and future reduced range due to battery degradation.