Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Noob -- What to consider before ordering a Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never considered a vehicle that has so many idiosyncrasies and huge pros/cons.

I'll list my concerns:
1)No spare tire.
I will be driving 200 miles round trip in rural Oklahoma on a regular basis. I must have a spare. I've done some research and may order one and keep it in garage and only put it in car during long trips. I'd rather keep it in car but it seems this would require some modifications to storage floor.

2)Heat from glass roof.
I test drove a MY about 2 years ago (just before the stratospheric price increases) and the glass roof was amazing and awful at the same time. It got so hot inside that it nearly turned me off to the MY altogether. I know there are shades out there, and I'm sure I'll install one, just very unfortunate. Maybe tint the roof, too? Any advice would be appreciated.

3)PPF
This seems to be a must have for at least front of car. I've kind of resigned to the fact.

4)Cold weather range.
This is probably what causes me the most anxiety. I've seen some report that you'll get approximately 240-250 miles in cold weather, driving 70MPH. If anyone has any experience with this, it would be appreciated.

Right out of the gate, I'll be spending around 3-4k for tint, PPF, sunroof shade and charger installation. This essentially erases my first 3 years of savings by going electric.

Again, I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Understand your concerns, but they have easy solutions.
Biggest issue is mind set. Owning a Tesla is far more than just saving $ on buying gasoline.

1. Modely Y has a huge storage area under the hatch. Easy to just toss a spare in for your longer trips. You can also change over to run flat tires, but they tend to ride harsh, be loud and wear quickly.
2. Glass roof is coated against UV and heat is easily controlled. For those wanting more protection it is easy to have clear or tinted UV applied to the top glass.
3. +90% of owners do not install PPF. That will be your individual choice.
4. Cold weather, elevation changes, headwinds and speed will all reduce your range. Often times it means just making a 15 minute stop at a Supercharger or high speed independant charger on your trip.

Tesla ownership is a bit different from driving a gasser. It has pros and cons, like every automobile choice, but once you get used to it, most find it harder to switch back to burning petro.

I've never considered a vehicle that has so many idiosyncrasies and huge pros/cons.

I'll list my concerns:
1)No spare tire.
I will be driving 200 miles round trip in rural Oklahoma on a regular basis. I must have a spare. I've done some research and may order one and keep it in garage and only put it in car during long trips. I'd rather keep it in car but it seems this would require some modifications to storage floor.

2)Heat from glass roof.
I test drove a MY about 2 years ago (just before the stratospheric price increases) and the glass roof was amazing and awful at the same time. It got so hot inside that it nearly turned me off to the MY altogether. I know there are shades out there, and I'm sure I'll install one, just very unfortunate. Maybe tint the roof, too? Any advice would be appreciated.

3)PPF
This seems to be a must have for at least front of car. I've kind of resigned to the fact.

4)Cold weather range.
This is probably what causes me the most anxiety. I've seen some report that you'll get approximately 240-250 miles in cold weather, driving 70MPH. If anyone has any experience with this, it would be appreciated.

Right out of the gate, I'll be spending around 3-4k for tint, PPF, sunroof shade and charger installation. This essentially erases my first 3 years of savings by going electric.

You are correct on all counts. I bought a Modern Spare (only throw in back for road trips), I swap in a two-piece roof shade for summer (2 piece has less sag), didn't get ppf on 1st MY and regretted it (have it on current), in very cold months range plummets. Still totally worth it.

Reactions: Okcharge72

I'll list my concerns:
1)No spare tire.

2)Heat from glass roof.

3)PPF

4)Cold weather range.

I'm spending about the same in addition to the cost of the Tesla. The way I reasoned the extra expenditure is that I saved almost $5K buying my Y out of inventory.