Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Not drawing charge from at home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned my tesla model 3 for almost 3 years and have had no issue charging with the car or my at home wall charging station (version 2 model I think). Over the last month or so I was getting "charging interrupted" notifications and my car had stopped charging. I attributed it to the heat and something getting overheated, so I downed the amperage to 16/32 and that seemed to resolve the issue. Then over the last two weeks the issue got worse. Constant interruptions...downed the amps even more...limited success. Yesterday my car stopped taking charge from the wall charger entirely. Plugged in, reads 240 voltage, but drawing 0/32 amps. Wall charger rolls green, car port green flashes...looks like its working, but no charge. Reset the car, reset the charger, tried resetting the circuit, same result.

Tried charging using the plug-in adapter car charge fine. The wall charger appears to be working, and the car recognizes it and seems to initiate the charging process, but draws 0 amps. It's a gen 2 charger, so i don't think it gets wifi firmware updates... I've been scouring these message boards and it seems like other people are/were experiencing similar issues (this thread Charging Issue Level 2 at Home sounds similar to what I'm experiencing). I'm running software 2021.24.5 ... I can't remember when I installed that or if that installation coincided with the problems... Any ideas?

Anytime someone posts something like this you have to try other charging methods first. Does 120 charging work? Can you use a Supercharger?
Try eliminating some variables.
Yes, try the 120V charging and try to fine another wall connector to plug in. That should tell you if there is a problem with your charger (in the car) or something wrong with your wall connector or wiring in your house.

I don’t have an HPWC. I just use NEMA 14-50 outlets. I had similar repeated problems with a ”charging interupted” notice. I found that the plug had worked it’s way a little loose. Pushing it in solved the problem. It may have been repeated hot/cold temperature fluctuations that caused it to be slightly loose & cause voltage variation.
It could be the same thing with a loose set screw holding in a supply wire.

Anytime someone posts something like this you have to try other charging methods first. Does 120 charging work? Can you use a Supercharger?
Try eliminating some variables.
I mentioned in the original post that 120 charging works via the plug in adapter. So the problem seems to be the interaction between the car and the charger...I

@Ezmendriz Tried circuit reset. No change. Charger appears to be working, car recognizes it and detects 240 volts, draws no amps.

@Sophias_dad Tried the button, also no luck.

I appreciate all the input tho.

I mentioned in the original post that 120 charging works via the plug in adapter. So the problem seems to be the interaction between the car and the charger...I

@Ezmendriz Tried circuit reset. No change. Charger appears to be working, car recognizes it and detects 240 volts, draws no amps.

@Sophias_dad Tried the button, also no luck.

I appreciate all the input tho.
Apparently HPWCs are warrantied for four years. time to call Tesla.

Reactions: Ezmendriz
I've owned my tesla model 3 for almost 3 years and have had no issue charging with the car or my at home wall charging station (version 2 model I think). Over the last month or so I was getting "charging interrupted" notifications and my car had stopped charging. I attributed it to the heat and something getting overheated, so I downed the amperage to 16/32 and that seemed to resolve the issue. Then over the last two weeks the issue got worse. Constant interruptions...downed the amps even more...limited success. Yesterday my car stopped taking charge from the wall charger entirely. Plugged in, reads 240 voltage, but drawing 0/32 amps. Wall charger rolls green, car port green flashes...looks like its working, but no charge. Reset the car, reset the charger, tried resetting the circuit, same result.

Tried charging using the plug-in adapter car charge fine. The wall charger appears to be working, and the car recognizes it and seems to initiate the charging process, but draws 0 amps. It's a gen 2 charger, so i don't think it gets wifi firmware updates... I've been scouring these message boards and it seems like other people are/were experiencing similar issues (this thread Charging Issue Level 2 at Home sounds similar to what I'm experiencing). I'm running software 2021.24.5 ... I can't remember when I installed that or if that installation coincided with the problems... Any ideas?
Call Tesla. Go to charging support. I had this issue with a Gen 3 charger and it was the temp sensor in the wall charger. They sent out a charger head to swap (easy to do no electrician needed). Only thing with Gen 3 must re-initialize the new charger to your home WiFi.

Bump. Having the same issue as the OP with my gen 2 wall charger - everything *appears* to be working properly; indicator lights and all. Estimated charge time is on par with what it should be. 240v but 0 amps, 0Kwh, 0 charge.
120v mobile connector works as intended with no delay.