Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not producing any more Performance models for duration of the year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet the price is adjusted after Jan 1st. But don't be caught between price drop and tax break.

Based on history, it is reasonable to expect a price cut to partially offset the loss of the $1,875 USA tax credit, but I wouldn't expect more than $1K and it probably won't be consistent across all configurations. This might not happen, but something probably will.

It also is unlikely to occur precisely on Jan 1st, probably several weeks into January, so if the OP doesn't get delivery by Dec 31st and Tesla don't offer to make up the $1875 in early January, they should wait a few weeks before taking delivery. :)

Reactions: mswlogo
Do you have documentation of "2-4 weeks delivery" when you delivered it? If not. please document that immediately in an email to your SA (very politely of course).

You have several options available to you:

1) Wait and hope one is available to you in a nearby Delivery Center

2) Ask the SA to recommend a different Delivery Center within reasonable reach which has a car available (going the Freemont, Ca from NJ seems a bit excessive)

3) Let the process work out, being prepared to take delivery in January, and then insist Tesla credit you the tax credit that you lost. Assuming they wouldn't have already adjusted the prices in January to adjust for the expiry of the USA tax credit anyway.

PS: 20" performance tires (aka "summer tires") are very unwise in NJ in the winter, so if your configuration doesn't already have all-season tires, you'll immediately need a set of all-seasons with rims. I mention this because if you ordered the car with 20" performance tires, ask if one is available with 19" all season tires instead (and then buy the performance tires in the Spring).
Agreed about the tires.

In a weird turn of events I not only got a text telling me my order is ready but telling me to pick my car up in 2 days. What a rollercoaster ride. I’m working to get insurance worked out.

Nothing about this process made sense but oh well! Looks like I got a VIN and a pickup appointment today.

ordered 11/23 or so and pickup on 12/13.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Agreed about the tires.

In a weird turn of events I not only got a text telling me my order is ready but telling me to pick my car up in 2 days. What a rollercoaster ride. I’m working to get insurance worked out.

Nothing about this process made sense but oh well! Looks like I got a VIN and a pickup appointment today.

ordered 11/23 or so and pickup on 12/13.

Sounds normal (for Tesla)

I ordered mine at the end of June 2018 and was told to expect delivery in September, then within 10 days was told I could pickup the car in a couple of days, so had to run around like a crazy person getting a new insurance company (old one's price was insane) and setting up the financing.

Reactions: endymion
I placed an order on 11/23...website said 2-4 weeks. Now it’s updated to 3-5 weeks from delivery date.

I just got off the phone with my 3rd SA (my first two were basically non-responsive) and she said that it’s unlikely anyone will be getting any performance models before end of year. I’m kind of disappointed. What is going on there?

What happens to our tax credits if we don’t take delivery by year end? I stupidly opened a credit check a week or so after and now I am paying the price of it if I can’t get a VIN to complete the process :/

Super disappointed. Anyone else hear this from their SA?

I wouldn't believe a word that a SA says. I placed my order (on a performance model) 11/25 and am taking delivery 12/23.

Based on history, it is reasonable to expect a price cut to partially offset the loss of the $1,875 USA tax credit, but I wouldn't expect more than $1K and it probably won't be consistent across all configurations. This might not happen, but something probably will.

It also is unlikely to occur precisely on Jan 1st, probably several weeks into January, so if the OP doesn't get delivery by Dec 31st and Tesla don't offer to make up the $1875 in early January, they should wait a few weeks before taking delivery. :)

Highly doubtful there will be any price drop come Q1 2020. They just raised price in October. Past pricing action doesn’t suggest they will do it again.

Orders are through the roof, hence all the complaining on delayed delivers. Why drop the price if people are lining up to buy? Tesla has Qtr earnings to hit and dropping price $1k won’t help with that. $1k drop also won’t be enough to move a buyer that is on the fence.

I placed an order on 11/23...website said 2-4 weeks. Now it’s updated to 3-5 weeks from delivery date.

I just got off the phone with my 3rd SA (my first two were basically non-responsive) and she said that it’s unlikely anyone will be getting any performance models before end of year. I’m kind of disappointed. What is going on there?

What happens to our tax credits if we don’t take delivery by year end? I stupidly opened a credit check a week or so after and now I am paying the price of it if I can’t get a VIN to complete the process :/

Super disappointed. Anyone else hear this from their SA?
I wouldn't be concerned about your tax credit. It is Tesla's history that after the times the tax credit has lowered afterwards they lower the price by that same amount. I would never buy a Tesla just before the end of a quarter, they like to rush them out the door