Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now RENTS solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla told me I needed to upgrade my panel to support 22kA fault current breakers. My current panel is 200A 10kA fault current. Trying to get them to show me where the city and/or utility requires 22kA, no luck yet. Consulted with a 3rd party guy who does solar engineering design, he's never seen a 22kA requirement called out either. Mystery to be continued....

Tesla told me I needed to upgrade my panel to support 22kA fault current breakers. My current panel is 200A 10kA fault current. Trying to get them to show me where the city and/or utility requires 22kA, no luck yet. Consulted with a 3rd party guy who does solar engineering design, he's never seen a 22kA requirement called out either. Mystery to be continued....

Oh please tell me that is a mistake!! I hope I don't have to do that. 22kA is for commercial, not needed on a residential box. What size system did you order? I order the large one and they are coming out this Friday. I will be so pissed if they changed the requirements.

Oh please tell me that is a mistake!! I hope I don't have to do that. 22kA is for commercial, not needed on a residential box. What size system did you order? I order the large one and they are coming out this Friday. I will be so pissed if they changed the requirements.

Large system. I checked in with my rep on Friday and she said it's been escalated to management/engineering and would let me know when she heard something. Too bad I missed the Sept 30 rate decrease deadline....she didn't file my application with APS since this thing is up in the air. Oh well. Hopefully they will come back and say my current panel is fine.

Large system. I checked in with my rep on Friday and she said it's been escalated to management/engineering and would let me know when she heard something. Too bad I missed the Sept 30 rate decrease deadline....she didn't file my application with APS since this thing is up in the air. Oh well. Hopefully they will come back and say my current panel is fine.

I am getting the large system too. I will post back on Friday and let you know what they say. I hope there are no issues as I just put in a brand new panel and knew nothing about the breakers being 22kA.

Reactions: destructure00
What is the current status of the not requiring the $1500 removal fee? Is that over now, or can it be negotiated?

I went into the rental thinking that there was the $1500 removal fee. I asked my energy advisor where it was in the contract once I received it. He pointed me to the line in the contract that states Tesla will remove the system at no cost to you.

I also emailed my advisor today to ask how long it will take for Tesla to remove the system if I ever decide to cancel the program, she said they submit a work order with the installation team and they will remove it at the next available date.

What is the current status of the not requiring the $1500 removal fee? Is that over now, or can it be negotiated?

It is still free to remove the system. I also found out that you can suspend service and leave the system up there without removing it or paying the monthly. You can then resume at another time if you want or have Tesla remove it at no cost. Great solution in my opinion.

That is expensive but once you pay it off you are free and clear and won't have any payments. I wonder how the warranty works?? Do you have to pay a separate warranty payment once it is payed off or is it included?

Invertor is warranty for 12 years.
Panels are warranty for 30 years with a guarantee of no lost of power generation something like no more than 2% per year.
That's all part of the package not a separate payment.
But who's to say the company will be around for that long to honor that warranty.
I've done my homework and generally once the panels are up it's pretty much next to no maintenance.
They will monitor power generation and ensure it don't fall below 2% per year.
The panels should continue to work probably two or three time longer than the invertor.
First 8 to 10 years is needed for ROI. The next 20 to 30 years is free and clear.
It's $912 per month for the next two years no interest but that not factoring in the 30% incentives before 2019. In reality it's ~$630 per months for the next 2 years.

There's talks about the incentives going away completely by year end. Currently it's 26% after 2019 and slowly tapper off.

All in all - solar was terrible investment 10 years ago because the panels only last 10 years. But currently, it make sense.
I hope I am making the right choice here. Who knows... Maybe someone will come up with a better and cheaper electricity generation method. But right now, its seems like a good time to jump on. I just don't see our utility company will ever lower our rates. It just kept going up. The more Solar is going up, utility company will have less customers. Guess who is paying for the cost. The one without solar. However, one can also argue more EV owners are coming onboard hence more juice pulled from the grid.

I figured I might retire in 10 years. That's one bill I don't have to worry about.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I am getting the large system too. I will post back on Friday and let you know what they say. I hope there are no issues as I just put in a brand new panel and knew nothing about the breakers being 22kA.
Got confirmation and explanation behind the upgrade. It's a City of Phoenix/APS combination thing I guess. Here's the fault current rate table they use for Phoenix, and since I'm 200 amp single phase power, my standard fault current is 14kA. My panel must be equal to or greater. I'll probably end up cancelling, was not planning on a $2700 upgrade right now.

Screenshot_20191010-061900.png
Screenshot_20191010-061944.png

I think it's silly to turn off the feed to the grid. That's credits being generated and Tesla can use the credits to offset supercharger cost when pulling from the grid.

I think the problem is that unless the utility installs a separate meter, there is no way to account for the solar production. Without a separate meter the utility customer (i.e., the subscriber) would get credit for the production, not Tesla. I don't think Tesla can easily get all the utilities to trust them to provide the billing data. As far as I know, there's only one state in the US (I think Vermont or New Hampshire) where they have such a deal.

I think the problem is that unless the utility installs a separate meter, there is no way to account for the solar production. Without a separate meter the utility customer (i.e., the subscriber) would get credit for the production, not Tesla. I don't think Tesla can easily get all the utilities to trust them to provide the billing data. As far as I know, there's only one state in the US (I think Vermont or New Hampshire) where they have such a deal.
They install second meters in Colorado (even for purchased systems). I bet they could do that in California and other states too.