Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now using deep neural net for auto wipers (2019.40)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wipers occasionally start up in my garage before I back out, even though it's completely dry; and when it's raining they often do not go fast enough to clear the windshield. This is one of the most surprising shortcomings of our M3! Presumably will be fixed at some point...

In the release notes for 2019.40, Tesla confirms that it is using their first production deep neural net trained with over 1 million images of rain drops.

75534310_10157757029310912_2265410492031827968_o.jpg

Hopefully it recognizes salt spray on a cloudy day.

Imagine how much energy is wasted on this, compared to a $5 rain sensor.

sizeof(DeepRain_NN) << sizeof(FSD_NN)
HW3 has a total power consumption of 72W. If delta processing of DR_NN is 5%, that is 3.6W. At 300 Wh/mile in it uses 1 mile of range every 80 hours of operation (>4,000 miles @ 55 MPH). The heater/ headlights/ and radio use more power (center display back light alone is gonna be more than 4W).

Further, the FSD NN needs to know if they are occluded and react to that. A standard sensor situated out of their field of view does not help that criteria. Same deal as a passenger requesting a swipe due to bird droppings/ moth remains/ etc while the driver's side is clear.

Our wipers (M3/LR/AWD 11/18) are finally working as well as auto wipers in our other vehicles here in Hawaii. Excited to learn tgat they should improve thru learning feedback.
This past Thursday, on a drive in eastern Ontario with snow falling and slushy, salty roads, I had to keep hitting the manual button, or use low speed interval or high speed interval.

I wish the low speed and high speed interval settings also used current speed.......stopped in traffic the low speed was okay, but anything over 50 kph could have used something between low speed and high speed interval.

No, it has 3 forward-facing cameras but none focussed on the windscreen. It is almost impossible to notice drops on these cameras due to this focal length. Now rain NN must understand how things look correct and what is "distorted" as it isn't seeing drops.
I would have expected that even though they don't focus on the window those cameras would still be used by the NN to 'see' the distortion caused by rain/snow, but I don't know for sure so I will refrain on arguing the point.

Cheers.

My wipers occasionally start up in my garage before I back out, even though it's completely dry; and when it's raining they often do not go fast enough to clear the windshield. This is one of the most surprising shortcomings of our M3! Presumably will be fixed at some point...
What I hate is how they go CRAZY when you first get into the car and there is any rain on the window. I mean, about 6 super-fast wipes before it realizes that after the 2nd wipe the window was perfectly clear. And why high speed when you are still parked??? Hope the NN programming fixes this...

In the release notes for 2019.40, Tesla confirms that it is using their first production deep neural net trained with over 1 million images of rain drops.

Raindrops? Neural Nets? Do you people hear yourselves?

Rather than volunteer those developers to cure cancer with deep learning, Musk is catering that immense brain trust to the limp wristed who can't turn a switch on and off.

Here's a question. If AP/Full-autonomy is going to be so great, then wipers are not needed at all - that makes this feature development some lead developer's playtime sandbox that becomes totally worthless in 2 or 3 years and that resource is better spent elsewhere.

Another example of a lack of adult supervision on this company's product development team, IMO

-Mr Grumpy

HW3 has a total power consumption of 72W. If delta processing of DR_NN is 5%, that is 3.6W.

Multiplied by however many Model 3s are in the rain today...

I wonder if it is close to 5%. I wonder what their processing budget for auto wipers is, given what they need for FSD.

• Disagree
Reactions: mongo
Here's a question. If AP/Full-autonomy is going to be so great, then wipers are not needed at all - that makes this feature development some lead developer's playtime sandbox that becomes totally worthless in 2 or 3 years and that resource is better spent elsewhere

Full self driving is going to require cameras that need an optically clean path to work. A wiper system of some type is needed to keep the lens / windshield clean.

Multiplied by however many Model 3s are in the rain today...

I wonder if it is close to 5%. I wonder what their processing budget for auto wipers is, given what they need for FSD.

????
If you are multiping the NN usage by the total population, you need to do the same for the other loads which puts you back where you started pencentage wise.