Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer Power Frunk - Add close button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Freewheeler

Vendor
Supporting Member
May 22, 2020
New York
Is anyone familiar with the Tesla Offer power frunk system that can opine on this? I installed the system and it's great, but don't care for having to use the phone or screen to close it. I also envision damage should a service tech or anyone else use too much pressure trying to close the hood not realizing it's powered.

So, for the power frunk, I'm curious if it's possible to wire in a close button like the trunk by tapping a signal wire somewhere. I asked Tesla Offer and they didn't respond. I am comfortable tapping the wires and installing the button, but am no expert in determining which wire is which. Thanks.

Is anyone familiar with the Tesla Offer power frunk system that can opine on this? I installed the system and it's great, but don't care for having to use the phone or screen to close it. I also envision damage should a service tech or anyone else use too much pressure trying to close the hood not realizing it's powered.

So, for the power frunk, I'm curious if it's possible to wire in a close button like the trunk by tapping a signal wire somewhere. I asked Tesla Offer and they didn't respond. I am comfortable tapping the wires and installing the button, but am no expert in determining which wire is which. Thanks.
The emergency release button already in the frunk functions as a close button.

After seeing this thread, I've been down a rabbit hole with the auto frunk opener. Have you guys had any issues with this? Any bugs or glitches?

We’ve had the TO power frunk in both of our MYs for several months without issues. We actually use the Frunk now, haha!!

We've also had them both at the SC to have the recalled A/C sensors replaced, and the SC didn’t bat an eye. I mentioned to them at drop-off that they were installed and they said they were very familiar with them.

Does the Tesla Offer frunk kit not close when you press the frunk interior light button?

I'm debating whether to put a powered frunk kit in my Y. I had the Hansshow frunk kit in my 3 and I could close it from both the screen & the interior frunk button (and on the fob), but I barely used that storage area and I really don't use the Y frunk either.

Does the Tesla Offer frunk kit not close when you press the frunk interior light button?

I'm debating whether to put a powered frunk kit in my Y. I had the Hansshow frunk kit in my 3 and I could close it from both the screen & the interior frunk button (and on the fob), but I barely used that storage area and I really don't use the Y frunk either.
Who installed it on your car? Do you have an installer in SoCal, preferably LA? I tend to use the frunk for food items (for the smell) and also my surfing gear (don't want the interior to get too dirty). I'm getting nervous of getting dimples or dents from all the use of the aluminium hood.

To answer part of your OP - the strut/mechanism is not damaged when manually raising/closing the hood.
It can be moved freely (like it was stock) with or without power.

I know this because I asked Tesla Offer when troubleshooting my DiY install with TOs Raymond.

It makes sense because the manual hood release function should work and with then manually raising the hood, when without power.

Reactions: Freewheeler