Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer Trunk/Frunk Group Buy (3/S/X)

please vote below(you can select 2 options)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to keep myself from ordering this.

For some reason I want it but I know it's not very useful. I've never had an issue using my arm to close the trunk or frunk. I use to have an SUV with a power lift gate and I never used it. It was just faster to close it myself.

The frunk might be more useful than the trunk but only cause pushing on the hood makes it flex and makes people nervous. I am not aware of anyone saying they dented their hood but I do feel like it's not a solid enough hood for high use.

I’m ready to pull the trigger on the frunk but I’m unsure which one to get...

I have homelink but I often use the button in the Tesla app to open my detached garage and don’t want to mess with that.

How would it work with my current garage door?

here is the link to buy

Model S/X/3 Electric Frunk / Tailgate Group Buy – TMC – Tesla Offer

orders will ship once we hit 20

if you have placed your order, please leave a comment below so we can keep track. thanks!

group buy ends 9/30/2020

Ordered the trunk (w/o foot sensor) and frunk (with frunk button close), plus added two replacement LEDs for trunk. Made it an even $800 (I'm OCD). Thanks @kev1n for organizing this group buy. After doing all the research the price was the only thing holding me back from buying before this.

Thanks again for organizing - placed my order for Model 3 trunk w/o foot sensor.

A couple of important notes for those ordering - if it tries to charge you for shipping, use coupon code "3shipping" - and if you're buying the frunk for a 2018 model 3, be sure to specify that in the notes so they send you the correct CAN connector.

• Informative
Reactions: kev1n
Thanks again for organizing - placed my order for Model 3 trunk w/o foot sensor.

A couple of important notes for those ordering - if it tries to charge you for shipping, use coupon code "3shipping" - and if you're buying the frunk for a 2018 model 3, be sure to specify that in the notes so they send you the correct CAN connector.

Sorry - that should say TRUNK for the model 3.

I have homelink but I often use the button in the Tesla app to open my detached garage and don’t want to mess with that.

the TLDR to their answer is, you get 3 max settings for homelink, it will take up one of those on the in screen. it should not affect the app homelink button.

my personal opinion, it seems the on screen button seems more natural and the way to go. any reason you rather have the homelink?

please make sure to use 3shipping if it is trying to charge you for shipping. there should be no shipping cost.

they are getting a lot of emails asking for refund on the shipping. they have processed those so far but wish not to continue to process the refunds due to credit card fees as the price is already low and it is eating into their cost so please again make sure there is no shipping cost before checking out and use 3shipping code if there is

also another reminder,

For Model 3 Electric Tailgate customers:
they will ship 2019 CAN connector by default. Please specify in the remarks if you are having 2018 cars.

Last edited:
please make sure to use 3shipping if it is trying to charge you for shipping. there should be no shipping cost.

they are getting a lot of emails asking for refund on the shipping. they have processed those so far but wish not to continue to process the refunds due to credit card fees as the price is already low and it is eating into their cost so please again make sure there is no shipping cost before checking out and use 3shipping code if there is

Which shipping option should be used? There's a free shipping 7-21 and a standard shipping 7-21 that costs $4X.00. Putting in 3shipping accepts the coupon code but the free is still free, and the standard still has a cost.

I just installed the frunk with homelink, but I don't think it's necessary since they updated the firmware to allow open/close from the main screen. I installed the device but haven't had the need to set up the homelink connection.

Yeah, with being tapped into the cambus it should only open with parked and unlocked.
The biggest downside would probably be routing the cable down if your M3 is pre mid '19 and doesn't have that "door" in the bottom trunk area. If it doesn't have it, you'll have to take the whole bumper off.

Ordered my trunk kit!

• Funny
Reactions: P3dStealth
Yeah, with being tapped into the cambus it should only open with parked and unlocked.
The biggest downside would probably be routing the cable down if your M3 is pre mid '19 and doesn't have that "door" in the bottom trunk area. If it doesn't have it, you'll have to take the whole bumper off.

Ordered my trunk kit!

I have a July 2019 build and double checked to make sure that the trap door is there. So, hopefully no issues with the sensor. I've done a ton of involved (mechanical, audio/wiring, and plenty of trim removal) work on my cars before so I am pretty sure installing this kit is no big deal even if a bit time consuming. For some reason though...i've lost interest in doing it myself. If I can find a good local installer (S. Orange County, CA), maybe I'll just pay a couple hundred to have it done.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Status
Not open for further replies.