Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on CBS Evening News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the piece a couple of months ago about Tesla hiring vets (discussed elsewhere on this forum, I think):
Disabled vets see an employment hot spot in the Bay Area | Niko Kyriakou | Bay Area | San Francisco Examiner

A noble cause, but I think in reality, some of those guys are just not cut out for the work force after the injuries and trauma some sustained. Not to say I'm against it though, I'd hate to serve my country, only to be thrown to the side when I'm no longer "useful".

A noble cause, but I think in reality, some of those guys are just not cut out for the work force after the injuries and trauma some sustained. Not to say I'm against it though, I'd hate to serve my country, only to be thrown to the side when I'm no longer "useful".
In reality, some people in general aren't fit for the work force. Being a disabled vet may or may not have any statistically significant deviation from that norm. Being physically disabled certainly isn't an issue in most desk jobs.

I'm not a vet and, frankly, I'm pretty vehemently anti-military in a political sense, but I've worked with a lot of vets and they almost universally have a great work ethic and an ability to get things done even when they don't want to. From my experience, I'd never think for a second someone's military background, disabled or not, would be a negative.

In reality, some people in general aren't fit for the work force. Being a disabled vet may or may not have any statistically significant deviation from that norm. Being physically disabled certainly isn't an issue in most desk jobs.

I'm not a vet and, frankly, I'm pretty vehemently anti-military in a political sense, but I've worked with a lot of vets and they almost universally have a great work ethic and an ability to get things done even when they don't want to. From my experience, I'd never think for a second someone's military background, disabled or not, would be a negative.

I'm not sure how we always seem to end up on opposites, but I in no way stated being a vet is a negative. They started out the article saying the guy had head trauma and severe nerve damage. Others have even more serious physical injuries -- surely that in itself can be a diqualifying factor in many jobs. Desk jobs, not at all (unless the head trauma impairs your thinking), but there are likely more physical than mental jobs around. The article even mentioned hiring vets for a company that lines windows with material to reduce heating costs.

+1 I agree. People, when grouped, usually fall over a bell curve. When looking at these groups: Vets vs. Non-vets, you are going to find a range of capabilities. There may be a difference between the average of the two groups (but I don't know that there is). What I can say is that I have been very impressed with all my ex-military employees (some of which were vets).

It sounds like AnOutsider was specifically referring to a couple people in the article when he said "some of those guys aren't fit for the work force". Without the context of the article though, it sounded like he was talking about vets as a whole, but apparently wasn't the intent. I said my piece (lacking the article context) in large because I hate to see vets, or any group of people really, look like they're getting a negative broad swipe treatment.

Regardless, Tesla doesn't run a charity so I'd guess the guys qualified for the job like any other.