Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what (if any) issues Tesla is seeing on the trial sites? We’re talking about lack of capacity, incorrect parking due to charge port locations etc. But I haven’t seen anything from Tesla to suggest they’ve seen a successful trial anywhere. A bit of reassurance would go a long way!

It was inevitable - Norway probably has the best EV infrastructure on the planet.

the problem in my eyes is in using that as a yard stick for the Uk. No doubt it will be successful in terms of revenue for Tesla, but will make it potentially more painful for those of us that use Superchargers regualarly.

That said it does open the possibilities of swapping the Model 3 for something more exciting in the future with a decent charger network

Proponents of this talked about how it would only involve sites with spare capacity, etc. This blows that out of the water. I’m not sure the genie can be put back in the bottle if this doesn’t pan out..

As far as I know no changes have been made to SC hardware in the Netherlands, so any issues with non-Teslas naturally blocking 2 or more stalls due to their charge port location are still an issue.

Good for TSLA shareholders I guess, maybe, although Tesla will have to sell a lot of charging to offset just one Model S car sale loss to Porsche or Audi.

Reactions: Wol747
Tesla already have a finger in Solar electricity and battery storage. It’s a natural progression to boost that and start selling more of the stuff. And it may make it more economic to vastly increase charger sites with additional usage. I can easily envision Tesla buying up forecourts as petrol sales decline and no great stretch to think Tesla coffee shops and groceries.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
No they're not.

Nothing has changed. The trial is ongoing.

CLICKBAIT NONSENSE
It is Teslas official charging twitter account that announced it. So not clickbait I’m afraid. The tick means it has been verified. The Tesla Groups have confirmed it’s genuine too.
F0167BA7-30FE-4FE6-BA3D-83F1F14F46CC.png

• Informative
Reactions: VX Foxy and Durzel
I'm all for this as the only way the UK non Tesla charging infrastructure will improve is if it has competition which Tesla will produce in buckets. It must be obvious to all that that private charging firms are in each others pockets which leads them to be anti competitive and only an outsider like Tesla can break this comfy anti competitive alliance and force change/competition/ and vast improvement. When you choice is rubbish verses rubbish you quickly realize the need for a serious outsider to upset the comfy arranged practices prevalent in the UK charging fiasco. There can be no other reason why in some instances multi billion firms cannot get their act together other than an anti competitive arrangement is in operation which generally leads to the lowest of common denominators prevailing as we see today in non Tesla charging.

I'm not against allowing Tesla chargers for all in emergency situations - as when you are just about out of electrons. The only practical way of doing this is to charge a really exorbitant amount for non-Teslas - say £2 per Kwh. That enables someone to get to a suitable charger but deters them from using "our" chargers on a regular basis.

I'm all for this as the only way the UK non Tesla charging infrastructure will improve is if it has competition which Tesla will produce in buckets. It must be obvious to all that that private charging firms are in each others pockets which leads them to be anti competitive and only an outsider like Tesla can break this comfy anti competitive alliance and force change/competition/ and vast improvement. When you choice is rubbish verses rubbish you quickly realize the need for a serious outsider to upset the comfy arranged practices prevalent in the UK charging fiasco. There can be no other reason why in some instances multi billion firms cannot get their act together other than an anti competitive arrangement is in operation which generally leads to the lowest of common denominators prevailing as we see today in non Tesla charging.
They have even less incentive to do anything now, because they can just tell their customers to use Tesla's superior, reliable network.

No one is buying Tesla's because of the "quality of electrons" that get put into their car. It's not like superchargers are some advertising opportunity for Tesla. When I go to Tesco and use the VW sponsored free PodPoint chargers there, I'm not thinking "mmm this makes me want to buy an ID.3" (and those ones even have video advertising).

Tesla's Supercharger network was the motivator for legacy brands to work on improving their offerings/public offerings.

I am also not at all convinced that the revenue from charging non-Teslas will make up for the loss of vehicle sales in situations where the network was the deciding factor, or that whatever revenue they do get will or can be channeled back into more sites.

Tesla will lose Model S sales to Porsche for sure now, and Model 3/Y to other marques - guaranteed.

I think opening up the network is a terrible idea. Great for TSLA shareholders I guess, but pretty crap for existing owners who are losing a USP and consequently some residual value in their cars. Although I don't personally need to use superchargers, I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned about a depreciation shock on my car when this becomes a thing over here.

Looks like Tesla building loads more superchargers in Netherlands as well.
Problem is not just Tesla’s. The infrastructure needs to be upgraded in a lot of locations hence the slow progress on other chargers. The fact is the DNO’s build substations to suit demand plus a small extra capacity for demand to expand in the area. To change the substations is a massive issue & doesn’t happen overnight. A brand new garage in Shipley wanted to add 4 EV charger points and was knocked back because the local substations didn’t have the capacity. This is happening all over the UK🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Campi
They have even less incentive to do anything now, because they can just tell their customers to use Tesla's superior, reliable network.

No one is buying Tesla's because of the "quality of electrons" that get put into their car. It's not like superchargers are some advertising opportunity for Tesla. When I go to Tesco and use the VW sponsored free PodPoint chargers there, I'm not thinking "mmm this makes me want to buy an ID.3" (and those ones even have video advertising).

Tesla's Supercharger network was the motivator for legacy brands to work on improving their offerings/public offerings.

I am also not at all convinced that the revenue from charging non-Teslas will make up for the loss of vehicle sales in situations where the network was the deciding factor, or that whatever revenue they do get will or can be channeled back into more sites.

Tesla will lose Model S sales to Porsche for sure now, and Model 3/Y to other marques - guaranteed.

I think opening up the network is a terrible idea. Great for TSLA shareholders I guess, but pretty crap for existing owners who are losing a USP and consequently some residual value in their cars. Although I don't personally need to use superchargers, I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned about a depreciation shock on my car when this becomes a thing over here.
If Tesla dominates the charging infrastructure in the future it also controls who charges and I suspect this will have other manufacturers very worried because what can be given can be taken away at a future date. I suspect once buyers of other manufactures cars realize how seamless and reliable the Tesla charging infrastructure is it will defiantly sway their choice on the next car purchase in case that seamless charging is lost in the future. Tesla will hold all the cards and Tesla have already shown they can play this game better than other manufacturer's in just about every field they have entered.

Reactions: Dasher and Campi