Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't believe it's water cooled
if the cable gets hot it's much cheaper, safer and way and more efficient to increase the conductor size (and keep it short) than it is to add water pipes and everything required to make that work.

However it is a bloody heavy cable with serious safety requirements - don't think anyone should bring your own.
It’s not water cooled but v3 superchargers use a liquid cooled cable.

I really don't believe it's water cooled
if the cable gets hot it's much cheaper, safer and way and more efficient to increase the conductor size (and keep it short) than it is to add water pipes and everything required to make that work.

However it is a bloody heavy cable with serious safety requirements - don't think anyone should bring your own.
You wouldn't be able to lift a continuous rated 2 core 750 Amp cable if it wasn't liquid cooled.

It’s not water cooled but v3 superchargers use a liquid cooled cable.
I'd just like to point out that water IS a liquid at room temp and a very good coolant. but I appreciate it does have some safely issues around electricity so if it is liquid cooled its probably more likely something like ethylene glycol but my main point stands. We aint bringing our own cables to the SuC party anytime ever.

What's your thinking about this?

I heard that Tesla are working on an App that will allow others EV owners to use the super charger network. It makes sense long term as we don't have petrol stations that can only be used by Ford...
Difficult one!

There’s no doubt in my mind the supercharger network is the best part about Tesla. It’s the one thing after many years of owning and driving Tesla that I still think they’ve executed extremely well. It cements over other parts of the ownership experience which are frankly sub par.

If there was no supercharger network, I have no doubt that Tesla ‘first’ sales would be far lower than what they are. For repeat sales once that initial ‘magic’ has worn off, then I dare say it’s the possibly the biggest draw the brand has.

I’m in two minds. On the one hand if only buy Tesla cars for ever after (probably unlikely, sorry Elon 🤣) then I would selfishly prefer to keep the wall around the garden. On the other hand if I dare stray and look at another make of car, then maintaining some level of access to the network would be…quite nice. It would keep the door open so to speak.

Reactions: roadcred
And not just for future installations. That consultation talks about cancelling all existing exclusivity contracts aka Electric highway and forcing all chargers on motorways to be public aka Tesla. Let's hope they back it up with some more grid capacity because Woodall South for example with its 8xV2 is a nightmare now. Open to everyone and it would be totally overwhelmed. Even without ID3s taking up 2 bays.
I agree about Woodall SC; same happens at Scotch Corner - waiting 10-15 mins at busy times and very little room to form a queue. If they were open to all EVs then there would just be no point in planning to use them if charging wait times become ridiculous at sites where there no room to queue.

Tesla are opening further sites in France and Norway. Have we seen any feedback from Tesla how the first trial sites have been?

Tesla are opening further sites in France and Norway. Have we seen any feedback from Tesla how the first trial sites have been?
I wonder if non-teslas are being charged more?

Might be worth looking through the NL section of TMC to see how Tesla owners have found it. I have done from time to time and I haven't seen much in the way of complaints.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
While some might complain on the principle, the only valid complaints should be if you're unable to charge because another brand of car is using the charger. Thats difficult to balance, especially on the V2 sites where even if you can charge, the speed is reduced if you have to share.

I wonder if they're only allow some lss busy sites, although how they'd make that work in practice is going to be tricky without lots of attempts to charge at the others.

Might be worth looking through the NL section of TMC to see how Tesla owners have found it. I have done from time to time and I haven't seen much in the way of complaints.
you should also check on the number of charging stations in NL.. they have high speed Instavolt, Ionity or similar chargers in more or less every second petrol station. I was surprised to see that to be fair.

Reactions: browellm

I think the concern I had, which a few others shared was that while NL superficially has a similar number of SuC/capita as the UK, they also have extensive, highly available 3rd party networks also in play. The same cannot be said for the UK and the conclusion is that opening the UK's SuC network is much more likely to see it swamped.

I think the concern I had, which a few others shared was that while NL superficially has a similar number of SuC/capita as the UK, they also have extensive, highly available 3rd party networks also in play. The same cannot be said for the UK and the conclusion is that opening the UK's SuC network is much more likely to see it swamped.
Agreed. In my opinion until the quantity and quality of public rapid charger provision (in total) matches or exceeds that of the Supercharger network there should be no opening up.

That reason is valid and may mean any trial here is restricted to only a small number of the largest sites initially.

financially I'm sure it was a great success

Reactions: Lord Farquad