Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it used to be one of my annoyances when people would block a busy petrol station whilst queueing becasue they were insisting on waiting for a pump on the "correct" side

back in "those fossil days" when I encountered that, and the "special long hoses" weren't really that long, or they would rub the paint whilst draped over the car, I would just turn round, on the "queuing side", and back into a wrong-side pump ... fill up ... and then exit back into the queuing traffic side - there was usually a route around the pumps for people who just wanted air/water/carwash ... or shopping.

maybe there are some Supercharger sites where that would work ... albeit that nose would be sticking out fairly

people in crashes get damage all over the place.
they do but I would argue that the front probably more so. There is a reason that we have the bumper there and not on the side.
A quick internet search of the most commonly damaged car parts comes back with a top 5 of
Front bumper
Headlights
Front wings
Grille
bonnet

Though since my wife drives my car I would not want it on the back or on any of the wheels either to be fair.

back in "those fossil days" when I encountered that, and the "special long hoses" weren't really that long, or they would rub the paint whilst draped over the car, I would just turn round, on the "queuing side", and back into a wrong-side pump ... fill up ... and then exit back into the queuing traffic side - there was usually a route around the pumps for people who just wanted air/water/carwash ... or shopping.

maybe there are some Supercharger sites where that would work ... albeit that nose would be sticking out fairly
When I had ICE I always queued so my filler was on the right side for the pump because the hose is only just long enough to get to the filler on the other side if the hose is draped over the car - and there isn't a chance in hell I would do that. I did once go into Tesco for fuel and many of the pumps were out of service - a bollard next to the pump (usually done when there was only one staff member on duty and i was unlucky that the only two pumps in use with the hose on the correct side had a really long queue to them - so i spun the car around and reversed onto one of the other pumps - so filler and pump were next to each other - and started filling - The member of staff was very annoyed at me for doing that and told me so over the tannoy system - and again when i went in to the shop to pay. I spend too much time detailing my cars to let a pump hose drape over it.

Reactions: WannabeOwner

"Last month, the automaker also added Spain and the UK to the program. Today, Tesla expanded the program again to include Denmark, Finland, Germany, Luxembourg, and Switzerland. With the update, the program covers most European countries in which Tesla operates:
  • France
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • UK
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Belgium
  • Austria
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Luxembourg
  • Switzerland
However, Tesla didn’t open all Supercharger stations in those markets to non-Tesla EV owners. The automaker has only fully opened the Supercharger network in the Netherlands to all EV owners. With the latest expansion of the program, Tesla claimed its Supercharger network became the “largest public 150 kW+ fast-charging network” in Europe."

So another roughly month to go before all 98? SuC sites in the country are opened up - if the Netherlands is any yardstick.

Any fisticuffs, dog fights, brawls or outright massacres at the current 15 open-open sites?
Are you talking about the Uk fully opening up next month?

I can’t see how that’s a sensible move. We’ve had multiple instances of blocked bays. I’ve just the other day showing an ipace and Porsche both charging and taking up 5 bays because of positioning.

SUC use will increase dramatically during summer holidays, certain sites are a nightmare as it is, think of darts farm queuing with just Tesla only.

I simply can’t see how full open access is a good move until capacity is significantly increased on certain routes. Especially in summer holidays.

Reactions: Wol747
To be fair in the Netherlands they went from 10 sites in pilot to opening all 33 sites. So less sites in aggregate. It was more like 3.5 months actually - so perhaps by the time the kids go back to school.

The Netherlands has a very different charging infrastructure outside of Tesla's Superchargers (is far more evolved). It's unlikely Tesla is planning to directly replicate what is happening there, here in the UK.

The Netherlands has a very different charging infrastructure outside of Tesla's Superchargers (is far more evolved). It's unlikely Tesla is planning to directly replicate what is happening there, here in the UK.
Fair comment. Seems to be a lot more third party public chargers there. Perhaps Tesla just want to compete. So if 3.5 months is too soon, when do you realistically think they will open all UK sites?

Other countries in their own pilot trials may be different - or perhaps Elon will simply wake up one morning and decide to open all European SuC sites at once. Much like the pilot.

So if 3.5 months is too soon, when do you realistically think they will open all UK sites?
I don't think they will, this move isn't to really provide a set of services to owners of other cars, it's to convince the DoT that Tesla were supporting their goals and to get favorable treatment. Given Shapps/Green isn't likely to be office much longer, and we are reasonably likely to get a climate skeptical headbanger as next PM I can't see current policies lasting until Christmas.

Reactions: Neilio
I don't think they will, this move isn't to really provide a set of services to owners of other cars, it's to convince the DoT that Tesla were supporting their goals and to get favorable treatment. Given Shapps/Green isn't likely to be office much longer, and we are reasonably likely to get a climate skeptical headbanger as next PM I can't see current policies lasting until Christmas.
So…you’re of the view they won’t expand it at all beyond the initial 15 sites and may withdraw it entirely?

So…you’re of the view they won’t expand it at all beyond the initial 15 sites and may withdraw it entirely?
I doubt that they will withdraw it and I suspect they may extend it to a few more. The are reputational benefits to say that you are open to all. It may be that the 15 UK sites were all that was needed so that they could claim they were the largest network in europe. Certainly the 15 UK ones are sites that had lots of spare capacity. I have used Dundee a few times and seldom seen more than one or two cars there, so it makes sense to allow others to use it and generate some cash from it.

On the other hand, I have seen Gretna Abington and Scotch Corner regularly queued and it would be foolish to open them to other users.

I guess that the plan was mainly future sites at service stations to be mandated to be open. Look at Oxford Redbridge that's just opened, no reason why it couldn't have be opened to all but its Tesla only. I don't imagine they will undo it.

On the contrary, I’d expect all the ‘joint’ sites to open up in the next wave that are not heavily congested or contractually prevented from doing so (E.g. They may have a Tesla only lock in for X years after opening as part of the deal to jointly build and pay for the grid connection).

Let’s be realistic, if the supercharger was full, you’d just use the grid serve/fastned/ionity charger next to it rather than wait. If you were a non-tesla, you’d probably use the cheaper non-tesla charger unless it was full.

Reactions: gangzoom
Let’s be realistic, if the supercharger was full, you’d just use the grid serve/fastned/ionity charger next to it rather than wait. If you were a non-tesla, you’d probably use the cheaper non-tesla charger unless it was full.

Am one thinking about things logically will realise without a massive expansion of DC rapid charging provision at nearly every Mway service stations, given the number of Ys Tesla are selling the existing SC network will be overwhelmed very quickly.

Its interesting to hear Gridserve think this summer would be the 'worst' for DC charger congestion, suggesting there are plans to get alot of DC rapid chargers installed in the next 12 month, be they Tesal, Ionity, Gridserve sites it really shouldn't matter.

Its interesting to hear Gridserve think this summer would be the 'worst' for DC charger congestion, suggesting there are plans to get alot of DC rapid chargers installed in the next 12 month, be they Tesal, Ionity, Gridserve sites it really shouldn't matter.
There are plans to do a lot at the services, but unfortunately a lot of them require the local DNO (electricity distributor) to reinforce the supply. There is money set aside for some of this. I think the government has set targets of 6 at each services by the end of 2023.

Moto have ambitious plans to do a lot at their services by the end of the year, although I don’t think it will be completed by then. Gridserve have updated a number of Moto sites already this year, e.g. Exeter, Burton, Heston and Swansea. These have the fast Gridserve chargers like at Rugby. You could also see some of these get Superchargers as well as Moto partner with both Gridserve & Tesla.

I can see big improvements are coming down the line, but would tend to agree that there could be issues in some parts the country during the upcoming holiday season as only a handful have been done so far.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
At a very busy Tebay services this afternoon when a VW id3 backed into the next bay, connected to the next but one charger and tried to charge. I explained that Tebay wasn't part of the trial opening to which I got the reply 'but I've got the Tesla app'. Genuine puzzlement ensued...
Luckily we were able to direct the driver to the nearby Gridserve chargers.