Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No the requirement is not to need an app, so a website and/or phone call center to take payment and start the charge is OK. Discounts are premitted for app users and/or members.
Which flies in the face of how Elon says it'll work for non tesla users... He said you'll need to have a tesla account and payment details, then use the tesla app to start the charge..
"We are thinking about a real simple thing where you just download the Tesla app, you go to the Supercharger, you just indicate which stall you are in, you plug in your car, even if it’s not a Tesla, and you just access the app to tell “turn on the stall that I’m in for how much electricity,” and this should work for almost any manufacturer’s electric car."

As with most things Elon, the reality turns out to be do-able but much much more complicated and time consuming than he realises.

I travel around the country going to football matches sharing the driving with other people.

One of my friends has recently been forced into an EV and has an ID.4. We’ve been looking at our first round trip of over 400 miles this coming weekend in his ID.4. It’s straightforward planning for my Tesla because of the Supercharging network with different options available. Changing my car in the routing app to an ID.4 makes it more challenging without using expensive Ionity.

The ID.4 looks well built and it’s range looks decent as well based on the 800 miles my friend has done, but then again it’s not got the tempting acceleration of my M3P.

Now VW have ironed out the early teething troubles with EVs, I’d certainly be considering them the next time I change my car if the Supercharger network is opened up to the likes of VW.

Which flies in the face of how Elon says it'll work for non tesla users... He said you'll need to have a tesla account and payment details, then use the tesla app to start the charge..
"We are thinking about a real simple thing where you just download the Tesla app, you go to the Supercharger, you just indicate which stall you are in, you plug in your car, even if it’s not a Tesla, and you just access the app to tell “turn on the stall that I’m in for how much electricity,” and this should work for almost any manufacturer’s electric car."

As with most things Elon, the reality turns out to be do-able but much much more complicated and time consuming than he realises.
I don't suppose he was specifically talking about the UK when he said that. That would obviously be his prefered method since its entirely software based. ignoring the fact that the cables wont reach many vehicles. If local laws require something different then I guess they will look at that.
Genie point are still installing public chargers with no way to pay except via the app. They put one at my local Morrisons earlier this year. They removed the need to have an actual account and prepay but you still need the app so there are definitely workarounds to the addition of contactless still even for confirmed public chargers.

I don't suppose he was specifically talking about the UK when he said that. That would obviously be his prefered method since its entirely software based. ignoring the fact that the cables wont reach many vehicles. If local laws require something different then I guess they will look at that.
Genie point are still installing public chargers with no way to pay except via the app. They put one at my local Morrisons earlier this year. They removed the need to have an actual account and prepay but you still need the app so there are definitely workarounds to the addition of contactless still even for confirmed public chargers.
My local ASDA ones have been free for the last 12 months ( 50kW) and only need RFD of a phone/Tesla key card etc to work by swiping the front of the display touch screen.

I travel around the country going to football matches sharing the driving with other people.

One of my friends has recently been forced into an EV and has an ID.4. We’ve been looking at our first round trip of over 400 miles this coming weekend in his ID.4. It’s straightforward planning for my Tesla because of the Supercharging network with different options available. Changing my car in the routing app to an ID.4 makes it more challenging without using expensive Ionity.

The ID.4 looks well built and it’s range looks decent as well based on the 800 miles my friend has done, but then again it’s not got the tempting acceleration of my M3P.

Now VW have ironed out the early teething troubles with EVs, I’d certainly be considering them the next time I change my car if the Supercharger network is opened up to the likes of VW.

There's some really nice looking EVs out there but even if they had access to the superchargers (they'd probably pay more to use them - like Ionity rates), they aren't FSD capable like your Tesla is.

FSD is in beta right now in the US and it's looking pretty good, so I think it'll be out in the UK in the next few years.

I don't see how anybody with a Tesla would give it up and downgrade to a different EV and lose the FSD capability, guaranteed supercharger access, and easy OTA updates.

Reactions: marcopolomt
I’ve bought FSD but in retrospect given the pace of development and Tesla’s ambivalence about the European market I could easily imagine FSD Beta not being available over here for several years.

In all the time I’ve owned the car I think the only practical change has been detection and handling of traffic lights. Nothing else has escaped the US-centric bubble.

UNECE regulations can be blamed for hamstringing things, to a point, but even if you completely blame the lack of development on them you’re still faced with a bureaucratic system that will be very slow to change in a significant way.

I also think there’s next to no chance of the UK opting out of them. If I recall correctly the UK were one of the more outspoken opponents to loosening the regulations.

I’m also not convinced that the current hardware level will be good enough for FSD as we expect it, although to be fair I’d be over the moon at just what the lucky beta testers have got now.

In short - unless your current Tesla is a forever car there’s an above average chance you won’t see FSD (even beta) over here in its lifetime.

Reactions: Wol747
The lane keeping on the new EV6 looks like EAP with extras and I'd be tempted to go that way if the charging network is up to it (couple of years until the PCP is up) - I don't think we'll see any of the fruits of FSD here in the lifetime of the car, except maybe improved motorway behaviour when they go single stack (but the new code still phantom brakes according to those that have it, so that isn't being fixed).

I've been working on the basis that FSD will be working properly about the same time that Fusion Reactors are producing most of our electricity.

More seriously I can see FSD being allowed and viable on the UK Motorway network within 5 years. Other than that, not.
Agreed. FSD will only be of any real use on multi carriageway roads only in UK. Just look on YouTube vids at how wide the residential/urban roads in the USA are compared to the UK. Just a handful of Teslas operating with the dreadfully hesitant FSD in my home town would bring the traffic to a complete halt every rush hour. London’s South Circular, as bad as it is now, wouldn't be a car park. It would become a graveyard, the traffic would move so slowly.

Reactions: Peter 224
I can’t see the current hardware being sufficient either. There are many places I go where the current side cameras are too far back to see what I can see.
Plus I’m still getting condensation forming in the door pillar cameras very quickly once I’m out of the garage at this time of year.
once Norwich SC is up and running, that’s my next task!

I've been working on the basis that FSD will be working properly about the same time that Fusion Reactors are producing most of our electricity.

More seriously I can see FSD being allowed and viable on the UK Motorway network within 5 years. Other than that, not.
And what is it they say about Fusion reactors? "They are 30 years away.....And always will be"
And they have been saying that since the 1950's

There's some really nice looking EVs out there but even if they had access to the superchargers (they'd probably pay more to use them - like Ionity rates), they aren't FSD capable like your Tesla is.

FSD is in beta right now in the US and it's looking pretty good, so I think it'll be out in the UK in the next few years.

I don't see how anybody with a Tesla would give it up and downgrade to a different EV and lose the FSD capability, guaranteed supercharger access, and easy OTA updates.
My M3 has less than 3 years left on its lease, so I can’t see me getting FSD on this one. I didn’t feel it was worth it in its current form and for the number of times that I’d use it.

I did say I’d consider another brand of EV if the Supercharger network is opened up. I’d also consider other brands if non-Tesla charging facilities improve.

Tesla don’t have a monopoly on over the air updates. Tesla’s updates are also a bit of a lottery. Will they give me something useful or will they break something that’s been working?

When the time comes I’ll look at a wide variety of factors and decide what to get next. Things are changing all the time, Tesla could be using newer battery technology, so I‘m keeping an open mind on all aspects at the moment.

Sorry to break it to you, but my Tesla isn't FSD capable and I wouldn't be losing anything if I switched to another brand.

Anything that needs all of the supervision that even the current FSD beta needs is worthless to me, it's not taking away any of the effort of driving. TACC just about works - slightly worse than other manufacturer's adaptive cruise systems - but Auto Steer is next to useless because I still need to turn the wheel for half of the corners it encounters and I have to hold it anyway.

Knock yourself out if you want to keep buying Tesla to retain access to that, but it really isn't a factor in my buying decision and doesn't look like it will be any time soon. The SC network was a major factor, if I can use it with another brand then I will seriously look at changing next time, we have an ID4 that offers almost the same range as my M3 but is a much nicer place to sit than the M3, feels better built and is much quieter at speed.

Kia EV6 Electric Experience are touring the UK Kia stealerships at the moment. According to somebody I was chatting to at a public charger yesterday, who attended a session. One of the major points in the presentation/sales pitch is the fact that all EVs will be able to use the Tesla SuC network imminently. Obviously I took this with a pinch of salt as I suspect Kia Marketing/Sales people will be the last to know what Elon plans are but at the very least they seem to be using Elon's Tweet back in the summer to push their own sales.
I went to their launch and although it's a nice car, it's overpriced. Lots of hype at 800v charging to baffle and bullsh1t newbies but where are these chargers? The most basic model costs as much as the SR+ but lacks a lot of what should be basic features these days. Many newbies who buy it will soon realize Tesla is the better option.
In the UK at least, I think this will massively dent Tesla's sales. Every YouTube review of an EV that mentions tesla mentions the charging network. And in many people's minds (mine included) it's a massive benefit.

If they'd kept it to niche manufacturers, eg. Rimac as an example, then I doubt any of us would be fussed. You'd almost never see one, and chances are you don't have the 2million to buy one anyway.

But if they're really extending it to more common and affordable makes like Kia, well suddenly that's a differentiator gone when comparing an Ioniq 5 with a Model Y... oh, that we can't even buy here. The more that they cater for, the more they're helping their direct competition.

I doubt they're doing this with Kia, I suspect it'll be either very limited charging (how they mark that up, I don't know), prohibitively expensive charging, or picking a niche manufacturer that they're not in near direct competition with.
It might have some impact on sales, and this was a big concern of mine (I'm a shareholder but won't be an owner for another 2 or 3 years). After giving it some thought though I think it may actually benefit both shareholders and investors.

tesla can apply for public funding for chargers and follow the rules of that specific country. That could mean some chargers/stalls remain exclusive to tesla owners, tesla owners could pay much, much less for charging (like ionity does for the manufacturers who help fund the network), or any myriad of systems. Either way I'm pretty sure tesla isn't going to do themselves out of such a great USP. Imagine paying 35p/kwh and having access to 10 stalls at a SC location, whereas the BMW next to you is paying twice that amount and only has access to 5. It also helps fund more supercharger locations making your tesla even more attractive.

As a non-tesla ev driver the SC network is something to envy, but I would rarely use it (bar an emergency) if common sense is applied to the pricing structure.

Also do some thorough research as to what's available on the EV market atm and how utterly crap dealers are. Most options are compromised in one way or another. If it wasn't for the insurance cost to cover my mrs I wouldn't even consider anything else.

Reactions: ringi and Mr_Dave
And what is it they say about Fusion reactors? "They are 30 years away.....And always will be"
And they have been saying that since the 1950's

The progress Tesla have made is pretty impressive on FSD in the last 12 months.

But perhaps even more impressive is the frankly ridiculous amount of cash Tesla is currently spending/wasting in Supercomputing development via DoJo.

Am not going to pretend for one second I understand anything in the white paper Tesla just released on DoJo but it seems to be causing a stir in the Supercomputing world.

It doesn't sound like we'll see what DoJo can actually achieve for another 12 months yet, but right now if you ask Elon Musk what is the future for Tesla is I suspect all he would say is FSD.

Am not sure if Tesla publishes their full accounts, but I get the feeling FSD development is currently swallowing up more $$$$$$$ than Superchargers deployment, factory building, new car development put together.

Last edited:
Knock yourself out if you want to keep buying Tesla to retain access to that

The irony is if you already paid for FSD the last thing you want to do is buy another Tesla just as progress is really starting to happen.

If Tesla allowed transfer of FSD I would seriously consider ordering another X, but instead Tesla are happy to keep on updating the hardware in my car. I think camera upgrades are now coming.

It makes zero sense for a traditional company to keep on updating an older car when they can try and sell you a new one. But Elon Musk made his money in software not hardware, and clearly he believes the software costs of FSD is more valuable to Tesla than profits made on selling new hardware.

Reactions: Cogarch