Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty reasonable, Tesla will earn a fair bit from this if they apply it across the whole SC network.
So based on the articles there seems to be nothing vehicle specific. so really slow charging cars and more importantly ones with the charge port in the wrong place will be able to charge.
Are the cables long enough to reach front charging vehicles without them offset parking? if not this will be carnage unless they have lengthened the cables at these locations

Edit
ID3. which has to be one of the most common EV's these days has it rear right which is pretty much the worst place it could be

Reactions: Durzel
I googled some of those locations in Holland. most are too new to be on Street view.
I did come across this one though. Maybe the opened up ones will be this style. It would be easier to get other makes to fit just by pulling the car forward or back without having to change the cable. Of course it would still be easy for people to park on the wrong side and Tesla is still building most new ones with the tombstones at the back as far as I can tell

View attachment 728031

Yes, I'd say the configuration is likely to play a big part in choosing which sites can be opened up to non-Teslas.
Also if you look at those non-Tesla sites in NL:

They all have 12 or more stalls
They are mostly 250kW
The 150kW only sites are the very big ones (20-32 stalls)
They are 10 sites out of 36 currently operating with another 7 coming soon

I doubt the UK will open up many, or any, SuC sites to non-Teslas until we have quite a few more 250kW sites with 12+ stalls and when we do I doubt it will be an issue. There's a lot of hysteria among Tesla owners who are saying 'exclusive' Supercharging was the #1 reason they bought a Tesla. As though they're going to trade it in for a Kia as soon as it's possible to charge one at a SuC. :rolleyes:

Tesla have been testing at least 14 different (non-Tesla) models in NL leading up to this, so they won't just open it up to any CCS-equipped EVs. Let's just wait and see how it plays out there before jumping to too many conclusions.

I really don’t see this going well. I see that it makes sense for the charger network to find itself and to ensure continued growth and expansion but I do worry about this ending up damaging the worth and value of Tesla ownership.

Will non Tesla users be charged more? How about compensating existing owners with so many free miles per year or a guarantee of a reduced rate?

From the announcement
"Does the Supercharger cable reach all EVs?
Certain Supercharger site layouts may not be suitable for some cars. Please do not obstruct other cars by parking over the lines if the cable cannot comfortably reach your car."

Yup I can really see that happening...
They would need to employ stewards/bouncers at every SuC location to police this.

So based on the articles there seems to be nothing vehicle specific. so really slow charging cars and more importantly ones with the charge port in the wrong place will be able to charge.
Are the cables long enough to reach front charging vehicles without them offset parking? if not this will be carnage unless they have lengthened the cables at these locations

Edit
ID3. which has to be one of the most common EV's these days has it rear right which is pretty much the worst place it could be
Yup, and since Tesla don't control the sites and therefore can't levy penalties for anti-social parking what you're going to get is all sorts parked sideways, across 2 bays, etc. Grrrrrrrrrrrreat.

At more than double the price that we pay for charging I think it might have been ok, but €12.99 a month subscription to get the same pricing as Tesla owners get... hmmm... Probably good for the share price, since that's not really based on vehicle sales anyway, but not so good for owners who are losing a significant USP of their car.

If this comes across as is the the UK, which seems likely, then I'll certainly be looking more closely at other EV brands the next time around.

Reactions: couplands
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NewbieT
Will non Tesla users be charged more?
Yes.. Taken from the announcement

How much does charging cost for Non-Tesla vehicles?
Pricing for Non-Tesla drivers reflects additional costs incurred to support charging a broad range of vehicles and adjustments to our sites to accommodate these vehicles. Rates vary by site, and you can view charging prices in the Tesla app. The per kWh price to charge can be lowered with a charging membership.

Yes.. Taken from the announcement

How much does charging cost for Non-Tesla vehicles?
Pricing for Non-Tesla drivers reflects additional costs incurred to support charging a broad range of vehicles and adjustments to our sites to accommodate these vehicles. Rates vary by site, and you can view charging prices in the Tesla app. The per kWh price to charge can be lowered with a charging membership.
The devil is in the detail though.

If they pay a €12.99 a month membership charge, they pay the same as Tesla drivers.

You don't have to do much supercharging at €0.57/kW for that €12.99 charge to be worthwhile.

Reactions: ringi