Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In ideal conditions how much difference will it make?

Say I have a 100kWh battery, and want to charge 10% to 70% and I arrive with a suitably warm battery and the ambient is "ideal"

Am I saving a couple of minutes, or is it more than that?

Couple of minutes on every charge helps if there is a queue for all stalls, but it isn't going to make much difference to me.

If it cuts, say, 20 minutes to 10 minutes then its worthwhile of course ... although if car is ready before me then instead of "doing something else" I will wind up "Sitting and waiting" instead.

in the example given I wouldn’t care - if there was a big Tesla stall next door I’d use it, but if I’m travelling with the family and they need to use a rest room etc then being at a regular MSA has significant convenience benefits which would more than trump a few minutes saved charging (might need more than that to get to an off-motorway SC)

Reactions: Derek25 and ringi
Looks like they’ve recently opened up

- Heathrow T2 & T3

- Guildford

I make the running total sites open to non-Tesla now 24 UK sites
Good spot, I make it 24 non-Tesla UK Superchargers in total as well. Tesla's (know-to-be-unreliable) Find Us map is currently missing Merry Hill and Birmingham - St Andrews but otherwise tallies with the Tesla app, including the two new additions.

Reactions: Sean.
Out of interest, has anyone been to an open SC and had to queue behind non Teslas yet?
I was at Harrogate a couple of weeks ago. The Supercharger only has six stalls; four were in use by Teslas (including me) and a fifth stall was in use by a non-Tesla with the charge port on the "wrong" side so the sixth stall couldn't be accessed. I didn't queue but another Tesla driver had a ~10 minute wait after they arrived before a stall freed up. I imagine this sort of thing must happen a lot there but there was a steady turnover of cars so I guess regular users know they won't have too long a wait if the queue is short. The waiting driver (and their family) didn't seem too concerned, in any case.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I was at Harrogate a couple of weeks ago. The Supercharger only has six stalls; four were in use by Teslas (including me) and a fifth stall was in use by a non-Tesla with the charge port on the "wrong" side so the sixth stall couldn't be accessed. I didn't queue but another Tesla driver had a ~10 minute wait after they arrived before a stall freed up. I imagine this sort of thing must happen a lot there but there was a steady turnover of cars so I guess regular users know they won't have too long a wait if the queue is short. The waiting driver (and their family) didn't seem too concerned, in any case.
If I’m having to wait for any non Tesla to charge I’m selling up immediately. Best bid on Motorway (likely peanuts)

Yeh I know I know. I’m hoping I get more than a tenner for my Y as the year progresses. But will have to sell up soon. But c’mon, people generally can’t be happy about this supercharger situation. School holidays are bad enough!
I live in the middle of the country, I have a drive, Most places I go are in roundtrip range. If I visit relatives further a field I just charge at their house ( which I insist on paying for). I do 12K miles down from 20K pre-covid but I tend to DC charge only about 4 times a year tops and I have only had to wait once in 3 years and that was for five minutes (Cornwall July 2021).
I am the poster child for people who an EV suits so no I am really not losing any sleep over the current DC charging situation though I would consider it a bit of a slap in the face from Tesla if they opened up the whole network bottle neck locations and all at this point in time.
I look at the current prices as an opportunity not a problem. Looking to take advantage to pick up another used EV for a fraction of what it would have cost last year.
Hopefully by the time I am looking to sell the Y things will have stabilized but if not hey I had an M3 for 3 years with 8% depreciation so swings and roundabouts.
Either way I'm still saving a boat load on Fuel/VED/BiK and maintenance. 🤷‍♂️

Our most frequently made longish distance trip is a 600 mile round trip to Preston to check on aged FIL, probably once a month or so. Back in the good old days, before the advent of the MY and when the M3 had only just appeared on our shores, it was a great journey. With a full charge at home we could get to Tebay, then free supercharging there (yes I am one of those lucky buggers!) to get us to Preston, do a fair bit of running around down there and then back to Tebay for a full (free) charge to get home. In those days we were very often the only ones charging at Tebay!!
How things have changed. Fed up with the almost inevitable wait at Tebay to charge these days we now fill up with free electrons at Edinburgh Newbridge. This just about gets us to Preston. Then we have to find a public charger (paid of course) to give us enough for running about. Then back to the public charger (paid again!) on the way home for a full charge to get us back to Edinburgh for a free charge to get home. What an expensive pain! I don’t like to charge at FIL’s place because I’m not sure if his old wiring could take even a granny charger!
Occasionally if we see Tebay has a free slot or two we’ll still use it (we stop at Tebay anyway for a bit of shopping) but this is rare and how terrible it would be if opened to non - Teslas.
In case you’re wondering we travel via Edinburgh so we can pop in to see daughter for a coffee en route.

I am the poster child for people who an EV suits so no I am really not losing any sleep over the current DC charging situation

You (and me too) are Long Range. I think that may be part of the key ... when I moved from original MS to current Raven my Max Range at 70MPH went from 240 miles to 300 miles ... so now the days I have when I need to road-trip-charge are once or twice a year.

Its a big chunk-of-change (although assuming 50% on resale, its the cost of financing of 50% of the price increase over X years), but I'm glad I did it.

ABRP says my Raven range is 296 (summer's day, dry, no wind)

ABRP says a 2020 SR+ is 171 miles ...
... and 2022 60kWH is 198 miles

In terms of the amount of road trip charging that is needed it's a significant difference - both the number of trips that need a charge, and the time spent charging etc.

Contingency is likely the same for both cars, so if that is say 30 miles then my range is reduced by 10% but the SR+ by 15%

Also the 10% - 70% refuelled-leg is 180 miles (2h34m) for me, 117 miles (1h40m) for SR+

Looks like they’ve recently opened up

- Heathrow T2 & T3

- Guildford

I make the running total sites open to non-Tesla now 24 UK sites
London - Tottenham has become the 25th UK supercharger open to non-Tesla EVs (and the first one with V4 stalls).
Birmingham - St Andrews is still missing from Tesla's Find Us map (it's on the app) but the others are all there now.

1693562274261.png

• Informative
Which is great, because I’ll still be able to use lots of the SuC network for my next EV - which won’t be a Tesla.

The more EVs around using SCs the easier it becomes for Tesla to get more SC stalls installed. Its literally a win-win for everyone owing EVs..........Especially for those of us with 'free' Tesla SC usage:).

Rammed SC sites = More SC sites in future.