Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, so the button is highly unlikely to operate on a non-Tesla to end a charge ... worth a shot but I would be surprised if it does.
Yep the button on the CCS2 plug does didly squat for non-Tesla’s.

I gave Mission Control her mobile number and left them to it as I had to scarper.

She wasn’t there yesterday. So it must have worked out in the end 😅

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
At some point people will need to take some personal responsibility to know WTF they’re doing. It sounds like the lady wasn’t fit to be driving that vehicle.
My impression was she was not long owning/driving the car. Didn’t know about the BMW app until we googled it for her. Was probably getting a bit flustered with her phone. She had her kid with her in the front seat.

I have to say Tesla were doing their best over the phone but relaying stuff to Mission Control (global control of all superchargers) in Texas was a bit sticky.

I have an i3 and have to say it wasn't obvious how to disengage the charge cable - so i feel for the lady a bit (FYI - just press the unlock button on the fob - light changes colour and lock on the cable disengages)
These things are bloody slow on SuC’s. The poor lady was there an hour and had only taken in 11 kW from the screen on the V4. It was chundering along at 3kW when she wanted to pull the plug. I felt a bit awful for her.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
My impression was she was not long owning/driving the car. Didn’t know about the BMW app until we googled it for her. Was probably getting a bit flustered with her phone. She had her kid with her in the front seat.

I have to say Tesla were doing their best over the phone but relaying stuff to Mission Control (global control of all superchargers) in Texas was a bit sticky.
This is kind of akin to the people you see at a petrol station who cannot figure out how to open their fuel flap/remove their petrol cap and that is pretty common.
Got caught out myself once in a Vauxhall hire car. Fuel flap locked doors unlocked no release lever anywhere to be found. Eventually I discovered that the doors had a two stage unlock. press once drivers door. Press twice the other doors and the fuel flap. fortunately I tried it out in a car park before going to the fuel station so no one saw my 5 minute struggle.

These things are bloody slow on SuC’s. The poor lady was there an hour and had only taken in 11 kW from the screen on the V4. It was chundering along at 3kW when she wanted to pull the plug. I felt a bit awful for her.
Was it a very early model without rapid charging? But then it wouldn’t have a CCS socket, so that wouldn’t work. The i3 charges at 50kW and sticks with that rate all the way to around 95%, so unless she was almost full there was something else going on.

She had connected into 2B on her drivers side port

its supposed to be blinking obvious ... if the "2B" writing is on your side, you have the right one. Obviously if the writing is on the other side that's the wrong one ... </sarcasm>

... but I can't help thinking some paint with an arrow on the tarmac would help. Although car would be parked on top of that by the time the person is plugging in. Surprised Tesla didn't do something to make it more obvious which is which, now that cables are long enough or reach on the V4 stalls. (Folk say that the drive-through style is obvious, I've not visited one, but photos look like a forest of stalls to choose from (drive in / back in / right side /wrong side and all that)

Is there a “right” and “wrong” side ?

Do you not watch the Bjorn Show? "The right side is the wrong side, the left side is the right side" or something like that :)

If the charge cable is close to the charge port door, you can press the button on the charge cable to open the charge port door even when Model S is locked or a recognized key is not within range.

The manual is a bit economical with the range - unusual for Tesla :) . Hold the wand up and wave it about and all the Model-S in the car park will flap-open :)

Fuel flap locked doors unlocked no release lever anywhere to be found

I had a hire-van. The fuel filler was partly obscured by the passenger door, and you had to open passenger door to then open fuel filler. Took me ages to figure that out. Maybe common / obvious to a van driver, but not a rental one like what I woz.

Reactions: Sean.
I3 should take close to 50kW up to close to 90% SoC on CCS. Pretty decent charging curve for a 50kW max speed car. Typically we spent 20-40 mins max before being on our way again using the likes of Osprey, Instavolt and BP.

Attachments

• img-bmw-i3-42-kwh-2019-dcfc-power-comparison-20210421-x.png
    img-bmw-i3-42-kwh-2019-dcfc-power-comparison-20210421-x.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 42
I3 should take close to 50kW up to close to 90% SoC on CCS. Pretty decent charging curve for a 50kW max speed car. Typically we spent 20-40 mins max before being on our way again using the likes of Osprey, Instavolt and BP.
It didn't seem right to take a photo of the V4 screen at the time, but in hindsight I wish I had as I've only my mental snapshot to go by. However I"m pretty confident of the figures as they were sooo low. Who knows what was going on between the car and the cabinet.