TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Opening Up Model 3 Configurator to Everyone

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Dawg, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Dawg

Dawg New Member

• Informative x 1
  2. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

It says priority will be given to reservation holders and while he doesn’t state his source, I do believe that’s true.

I also believe Seeking Alpha’s point that they’re batching cars in hopes there’s a taker.

Key quote:

Opening the configuration to everyone so quickly after the June 27th opening seems to support this theory.

3. Joshuak172

Joshuak172 Member

So, a non-reservation holder places an order today for a 49k car that lines up with what they are currently producing. How long do they wait?

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Months, not weeks. Number of months: unknown. But my guess is at least 8you.

5. Sooby@sdsu

Amazing! I ordered my M3 on June 28. Two days later, I was asked to configure the car. And today morning I got my Vin number and within an hour a call, telling me the car is ready for pick up in 7 days. And I have not even installed a 240 V outlet yet. Did I just win a lottery or is this a hoax? It is almost too good to believe, given I was prepared to wait for 3-6 months (as noted during my order). Anyone else had this nice experience?

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Your configuration was already built, so they just matched a car to you.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

Right, it’s batch. Speeds the process up if they can just churn out tons of white with aero, etc.

I still wonder why they opened the configurator to everyone in North America so quickly.

A couple thoughts:

1. They won’t be profitable in Q3 and they want to show how many REAL orders they have, not just reservations.
    2. They’re running out of combinations of LR RWD at the rate they’re producing them and need to match customers to VINs.
    3. They want to stop batch and get a better sense of what actually needs to be made.
    4. They want the cash to continue to fund their massive cash burn.
    5. All of the above.
    6. None, I know absolutely jack.

:D

8. alchymia

alchymia Member

Any chance they will make it possible to transfer a configured reservation to a different tesla account at this point given configuration will be open to everyone?

9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I’ve said this before, and it’s that the delivery estimates are maximums. If they have your car made, you will get it in a few weeks. There still aren’t that many combinations after adding a motor and the performance pack.

Don’t count on it being a few weeks but don’t plan on taking being the 3-5 months either!

• Like x 1
  10. drj3

drj3 Member

I think what is happening is that with the increased production they are able to deliver to all the reservation holders who are ready to order a LR RWD PUP within the next few months. I think now the orders are now being filled roughly by date of configuration. First day reservation holders had several days to put in their orders before orders for AWD and Performance before orders were opened to all other reservation holders. Now all reservation holders have had about a week to put in orders before orders are open to everyone. I expect when new versions are opened up (LR without PUP and SR) first day reservation holders will have a few days to place orders, then all other reservation holders, then new orders. When you get your car will mostly be determined by when you configure with a little variation related to batch production and shipping and delivery logistics. I would not be surprised to see European deliveries of LR RWD PUP in a few months if they don't shift volume production to AWD.

11. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Tesla has a good sense of how many cars they can produce and how many people are waiting for the standard battery, and Tesla thinks they can fulfill all existing and new long range battery orders (LR RWD, LR AWD, and P) within 5 months. In other words, they think they can produce and sell 100,000+ long range battery cars (20 weeks x 5000 cars/week) in the next 5 months. That implies (pure speculation) that Tesla thinks/knows the other 300,000 reservation holders want a standard range battery car.

12. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Or they're not in North America (especially the US) since that's where virtually all the cars for the rest of this year are going.

Don't recall how many of the original 400k+ reservations were overseas but it was a decent # of em.

• Like x 1
  13. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

It seems to quick to do this after just opening it up to reservation holders. I just hope they can keep up with 5k a week production and logistics or they are risking a lot of unnecessary ill will.

14. Sooby@sdsu

This maybe a naive question. I have scheduled my Model 3 delivery for July 20. Any idea if I am eligible for the full federal and California tax credits? If Tesla will have sold 200k vehicles by then, I think the federal subsidy subsides.

15. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

you are good on the federal tax credit. No clue about cali

• Like x 1
  16. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

What are the digits 5 rightmost digits in the VIN, using XX for the last 2 digits to protection your privacy. So for example if your VIN was:
    5YJ3E1EAXJF023456

What I'm asking for is "234XX".

17. Sooby@sdsu

440XX

• Like x 1
  18. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Well that's definitely one that's been built fairly recently. What colour?

19. Sooby@sdsu