Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Opening Up Model 3 Configurator to Everyone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully those of us who went through the reservation process and have already configured get priority

Tesla is opening Model 3 online configurator to everyone

It says priority will be given to reservation holders and while he doesn’t state his source, I do believe that’s true.

I also believe Seeking Alpha’s point that they’re batching cars in hopes there’s a taker.

Key quote:

My observation is that Tesla is batch-building cars and matching them to customer orders later. That’s why they had to open the configuration floodgates to all comers. If you choose a “lucky configuration,” then you can receive your car immediately regardless of your position in the reservation or confirmation queues.

Opening the configuration to everyone so quickly after the June 27th opening seems to support this theory.

Amazing! I ordered my M3 on June 28. Two days later, I was asked to configure the car. And today morning I got my Vin number and within an hour a call, telling me the car is ready for pick up in 7 days. And I have not even installed a 240 V outlet yet. Did I just win a lottery or is this a hoax? It is almost too good to believe, given I was prepared to wait for 3-6 months (as noted during my order). Anyone else had this nice experience?

Amazing! I ordered my M3 on June 28. Two days later, I was asked to configure the car. And today morning I got my Vin number and within an hour a call, telling me the car is ready for pick up in 7 days. And I have not even installed a 240 V outlet yet. Did I just win a lottery or is this a hoax? It is almost too good to believe, given I was prepared to wait for 3-6 months (as noted during my order). Anyone else had this nice experience?

Your configuration was already built, so they just matched a car to you.

Right, it’s batch. Speeds the process up if they can just churn out tons of white with aero, etc.

I still wonder why they opened the configurator to everyone in North America so quickly.

A couple thoughts:

1. They won’t be profitable in Q3 and they want to show how many REAL orders they have, not just reservations.
2. They’re running out of combinations of LR RWD at the rate they’re producing them and need to match customers to VINs.
3. They want to stop batch and get a better sense of what actually needs to be made.
4. They want the cash to continue to fund their massive cash burn.
5. All of the above.
6. None, I know absolutely jack.

:D

I’ve said this before, and it’s that the delivery estimates are maximums. If they have your car made, you will get it in a few weeks. There still aren’t that many combinations after adding a motor and the performance pack.

Don’t count on it being a few weeks but don’t plan on taking being the 3-5 months either!

Reactions: Big Earl
I think what is happening is that with the increased production they are able to deliver to all the reservation holders who are ready to order a LR RWD PUP within the next few months. I think now the orders are now being filled roughly by date of configuration. First day reservation holders had several days to put in their orders before orders for AWD and Performance before orders were opened to all other reservation holders. Now all reservation holders have had about a week to put in orders before orders are open to everyone. I expect when new versions are opened up (LR without PUP and SR) first day reservation holders will have a few days to place orders, then all other reservation holders, then new orders. When you get your car will mostly be determined by when you configure with a little variation related to batch production and shipping and delivery logistics. I would not be surprised to see European deliveries of LR RWD PUP in a few months if they don't shift volume production to AWD.

Right, it’s batch. Speeds the process up if they can just churn out tons of white with aero, etc.

I still wonder why they opened the configurator to everyone in North America so quickly.

A couple thoughts:

1. They won’t be profitable in Q3 and they want to show how many REAL orders they have, not just reservations.
2. They’re running out of combinations of LR RWD at the rate they’re producing them and need to match customers to VINs.
3. They want to stop batch and get a better sense of what actually needs to be made.
4. They want the cash to continue to fund their massive cash burn.
5. All of the above.
6. None, I know absolutely jack.

:D

Tesla has a good sense of how many cars they can produce and how many people are waiting for the standard battery, and Tesla thinks they can fulfill all existing and new long range battery orders (LR RWD, LR AWD, and P) within 5 months. In other words, they think they can produce and sell 100,000+ long range battery cars (20 weeks x 5000 cars/week) in the next 5 months. That implies (pure speculation) that Tesla thinks/knows the other 300,000 reservation holders want a standard range battery car.

Tesla has a good sense of how many cars they can produce and how many people are waiting for the standard battery, and Tesla thinks they can fulfill all existing and new long range battery orders (LR RWD, LR AWD, and P) within 5 months. In other words, they think they can produce and sell 100,000+ long range battery cars (20 weeks x 5000 cars/week) in the next 5 months. That implies (pure speculation) that Tesla thinks/knows the other 300,000 reservation holders want a standard range battery car.

Or they're not in North America (especially the US) since that's where virtually all the cars for the rest of this year are going.

Don't recall how many of the original 400k+ reservations were overseas but it was a decent # of em.

Reactions: commasign
This maybe a naive question. I have scheduled my Model 3 delivery for July 20. Any idea if I am eligible for the full federal and California tax credits? If Tesla will have sold 200k vehicles by then, I think the federal subsidy subsides.

What are the digits 5 rightmost digits in the VIN, using XX for the last 2 digits to protection your privacy. So for example if your VIN was:
5YJ3E1EAXJF023456

What I'm asking for is "234XX".