Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Optimus Sub-Prime Robot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes but these are both low because VAT is reduced by what you buy. Ultimately I think established businesses will need to pay >50% of their revenue. Probably there will be tax breaks for businesses that employ humans.
Businesses are not end users of any products so double taxation of corporate-corporate interchanges would be senseless That's almost like starting to tax money transfers. Same goes for taxing "revenue" instead of "profits".

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Senseless you say? Let me show you some passed laws and lawmakers :)

Senseless, I say and same goes for past and future of the same :)

As Elon suggested, law's, regulations, and terms of positions should have some kind of due date.

Or "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." - Winston S. Churchill

Or “The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.” - Tacitus, or "The more laws, the less justice." - Cicero

True intelligence is the ability to adapt one's beliefs in the face of new evidence, yet maintaining the wisdom to avoid the fickleness of changing positions with every passing wind.

"The measure of intelligence is the ability to change." - Albert Einstein

If you don't do that, civilization collapse (war or otherwise) will do the job, or at least has in the past.

Last edited:
10 minutes demonstrating some of latest robot tech starting at 11:30 into the video.
Not very impressed by anything in that video except for the mnist work back in the days... But I think I will have to be patient for my thesis to be proven right. Imo give it a few years and it should be clear that the winning strategy is what Tesla, Chinese companies etc are doing, going for electric motors, end2end, mass production, rapid iterations etc over these over-engineered demos that will never hit any meaningful scale or usefulness.

Reactions: CarlS
The same thing happened with self driving cars and after 8 years no one is profitable with them. Except for Tesla with partial self driving. Suspect the same can be said for Mobileye and ADAS.

I doubt we are going to see huge breakthroughs in robotics in the next 3 years. Yes there will be significant advances incorporating LLM tech, but that won't move the needle enough for mass humanoid production. We will continue to see specialized robots production increase.
If you are referring to "LLM tech" as anything other than shorthand, you are misidentifying the recent breakthrough and its underlying insight. The recent breakthrough is that machine learning passed the point where it is good and useful. The underlying insight is that machine learning quality is to an overwhelming degree a function of applying computing scale to relevant training data. This insight is leading to extreme rates of growth in compute being put on line at Tesla and many other companies.

In the last year, Tesla has grown its computing capacity by maybe 2,000%. Tesla plans something on the order of 1,000% growth in the next year from here. It follows that we can expect a dramatic increase in FSD quality. Perhaps Tesla will have enough spare capacity for a useful Optimus.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: DanCar
If you are referring to "LLM tech" as anything other than shorthand, you are misidentifying the recent breakthrough and its underlying insight. The recent breakthrough is that machine learning passed the point where it is good and useful. The underlying insight is that machine learning quality is to an overwhelming degree a function of applying computing scale to relevant training data. This insight is leading to extreme rates of growth in compute being put on line at Tesla and many other companies.

In the last year, Tesla has grown its computing capacity by maybe 2,000%. Tesla plans something on the order of 1,000% growth in the next year from here. It follows that we can expect a dramatic increase in FSD quality. Perhaps Tesla will have enough spare capacity for a useful Optimus.
Here's Elon agreeing with James Douma, who is expressing the same as above. This appears to be the view of at least the top management of the company. Of course, you can discount this view as another in a line of bad predictions, but understand that the view is resulting in quite large expenditures for the company.

I gotta say that Figure's demo and technical explanation is well, well beyond what Tesla has shown us. Indeed, Tesla might even be going down the wrong path in their Robot AI development. Figure is able to do what it does WITHOUT Tesla's vaunted vision system. Instead it has leveraged OpenAI's vision system.

It also does NOT use teleoperation supposedly for training, at least not anymore.

Meanwhile the last demo we saw from Tesla was teleop.

I gotta say that Figure's demo and technical explanation is well, well beyond what Tesla has shown us. Indeed, Tesla might even be going down the wrong path in their Robot AI development. Figure is able to do what it does WITHOUT Tesla's vaunted vision system. Instead it has leveraged OpenAI's vision system.

It also does NOT use teleoperation supposedly for training, at least not anymore.

We haven't seen Figure's robot navigating or moving much at all yet. I'd say Figure has the AI advantage on tasks + conversation, but Tesla likely has the AI advantage on navigation.

Its certainly an interesting race though!

The last demo from Tesla was not about the software, it was about the hardware. It was to validate a design, that the hardware was enough for the task to fold laundry. Then they can do whatever they want to get the software to do it.

I think you guys are reading this wrongly. The demo is very cool, figure is doing great progress. Some of it looks nice, but is not that unique, like the conversation etc which is similar to groq(with a q not k).

The hierarchical planning part is not to different than what we have seen before, but a lot smoother. I wonder how they got there, if they used some form of reinforcement learning either in simulation or in the real world.

The hardware is nice, but it's a generation behind Tesla and I doubt that they have done as a great job of making it ready for mass production and crash testing.

Gathering data from 3rd person perspective rather than 1st person is cool, but don't think it's that big of difference and not too much data is wasted by gathering a lot of 1st person perspective as this will likely be very useful also. And Elon has been thinking about this for a long time, they want to be able to leverage the Tesla car dataset to see how people do tasks, ie the car has seen a lot of road side construction work...

In all, I don't think this invalidates Tesla's approach. Very little of Tesla's work is useless. Figure are impressive and OpenAI seems to help them giving Tesla a good contender for the software. And their hardware is very good for a small startup, but it's still behind Tesla.