Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla or other wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Running an appliance/extension cord through a wall breaks code. Plugging both devices into the single circuit also leaves people open to overloading the circuit. Personally, I don't care that you did this, but to recommend it publicly in the forum as a general solution is reckless.
1) I shared my install - I did not recommend anyone to do anything.
2) An electrician with 65 years of experience helped set it up.
3) Extension cord enclosed in a wall is a code violation, but I used burial grade cord that is open on both sides, only passing through in a conduit, which is ok.
4) Entire circuit supports more than the load of both concurrently, albeit with only 1 amp to spare, so both only are used indecently with circuit monitoring which will shut off charger if dryer is turned on.
5) Placarded the dryer to not use between midnight and 6AM.

1) I shared my install - I did not recommend anyone to do anything.
2) An electrician with 65 years of experience helped set it up.
3) Extension cord enclosed in a wall is a code violation, but I used burial grade cord that is open on both sides, only passing through in a conduit, which is ok.
4) Entire circuit supports more than the load of both concurrently, albeit with only 1 amp to spare, so both only are used indecently with circuit monitoring which will shut off charger if dryer is turned on.
5) Placarded the dryer to not use between midnight and 6AM.
The fact that you feel the need for all this justification and mitigation kinda makes my point.

Nothing wrong with the Tesla wall connector, but I didn't see any downside to using a commercial grade NEMA 14-50 with a 50-60A circuit with a Tesla mobile connector. The latter is a cheaper solution, and significantly more versatile. It's good to 40A vs 48A for the wall connector, not a sizable difference in charge times.

Reactions: DuncanM
The fact that you feel the need for all this justification and mitigation kinda makes my point.
Showing how you are incorrect proves your point? That takes some mental gymnastics to work out.
You made allegations and I addressed them point by point. Safety is never mitigation. It should always be a layered approach.

Pre-dating the charger install, I also use smoke detectors that are z-wave and if smoke is detected, home automation turns off charging, turns off AC and turns on an in duct fan that uses HVAC duct work to ventilate the area smoke was detected. Smoke and gases fill an average room and blind occupants within 30-40 seconds at the origin of a fire. I take fire safety very seriously. You should too.

Nothing wrong with the Tesla wall connector, but I didn't see any downside to using a commercial grade NEMA 14-50 with a 50-60A circuit with a Tesla mobile connector. The latter is a cheaper solution, and significantly more versatile. It's good to 40A vs 48A for the wall connector, not a sizable difference in charge times.

There are many threads that discuss the WC vs the Mobile Connector, and it's generally agreed that the WC is preferred, safer, and actually can be cheaper.

To use a mobile connector safely, a high priced outlet should be purchased. I believe a GFCI breaker is also required in most areas for code compliance. Once you add the outlet and GFCI breaker, the mobile connector ends up costing more than the WC... and the WC is a safer solution.

Reactions: WyldRide
I see a downside. One of those is code legal and one of them isn't. The breaker must not be higher rated than the outlet type, so a 14-50 outlet cannot be used on a 60A circuit.
Yes, I agree. Erring on the side of caution is always preferred, so keeping the circuit breaker low is best. Unless people commute more than 200 miles per day, charging on a 24 Amp WC setting would easily charge overnight. It isn't worth the extra cost of upgrading.
Cheap Chinese generic outlets should be avoided too. There are many photos of them melting down from poor connections, which causes heat. A poor connection still tries to flow the same current, which is like a water hose being compressed. Water gets accelerated, but electricity starts generating heat.

Gen 3 hardwired, price, lock down security, power sharing, NACS connector, firmware updates, quality built, good looking

I have two and they are amazing
So many benefits

Btw, checkout thruwall install option, gen 3 in the garage, cable and mount outside

Inside
View attachment 956718
Outside
View attachment 956726
Hi kpanda17. Will you please provide the manufacturer and possible sourcing options for the white (plastic?) hanger and cord pass-through pictured in your post?

Another
I've never understood what a WiFi enabled charger does?

If I'm not mistaken the car controls charging, reports on electricity used, lets you know when charging starts and stops. Why the heck does the charger need WIFI?
Another reason for WiFi on the Tesla Wall Connector may be to allow for billing. Tesla in combination with Duke Power in North Carolina is offering unlimited off peak charging for $25 / month. In time this will probably be offered in more areas.

I have to wonder if they monitor the power used through the TWC and deduct the power used during the off peak hours from the total power that is registered in the regular electric meter.

There are probably lots of opportunities to develop software to bill people who live in apartments / condos using the TWC also. That would be much simpler than having to install separate electric meters, which I have seen being done in multi tenant buildings.

I have an app called Wall Monitor that gets data from the TWC via WiFi. Does not do that much right now but I expect it will be developed to do more in the future.

This showed up in a friend's Tesla app who lives in NC. Have not seen this in FL yet.
Tesla Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 3.13.38 PM.jpeg.png

IMG_3343.PNG

Reactions: father_of_6
Showing how you are incorrect proves your point? That takes some mental gymnastics to work out.
You made allegations and I addressed them point by point. Safety is never mitigation. It should always be a layered approach.

Pre-dating the charger install, I also use smoke detectors that are z-wave and if smoke is detected, home automation turns off charging, turns off AC and turns on an in duct fan that uses HVAC duct work to ventilate the area smoke was detected. Smoke and gases fill an average room and blind occupants within 30-40 seconds at the origin of a fire. I take fire safety very seriously. You should too.
You didn't do that, you just posted some more rationalizations for doing this install incorrectly. Plugging them both into the same outlet is wrong. Passing an extension cord through a wall is wrong, no matter what wire you made it out of. You are obviously happy with your install, and I don't really care what you do, so enjoy your life.

Reactions: Rocky_H
We went with 14-50. Now the wife is going back to a physical office, so we'll probably buy her a used low cost used EV for the commute. Had we gone with Tesla WC we would have to rewire/reinstall... with the 14-50 we're all set.

They actually make a NEMA 14-60R. I used them on my setup with my 2gen wall connector because I wanted to be able to unplug it if I needed to.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and Midpack