Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owes me money (Trade in more than deposit)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My trade in was worth more than the deposit so Tesla owes me the difference.

This was all agreed in advance and the paperwork reflects it as well as where to send the money

1 week after delivery I reached out to them to chase and I had to, again, tell them where to send the money.

It's now been 2 weeks an still nothing.

Have others had trade in worth more than deposit? How long does it take to receive the money.

Love the car, but customer service is a bit lacklustre....
This goes for most of the UK to be honest. I'm also struggling with Pod Point. Happy to take my money but then radio silence!!

Whatever happened to customer service??!!

My trade in needed Tesla to settle with the PCP company of my trade in car.
They did this the day before the settlement figure expired, and 2.5 weeks later.

Not Tesla's fault as such, but this meant another payment was taken from me for the old PCP, and will take, by the sounds of it up to 6 weeks to make it's way back to me.

Good luck with getting your money back.

Not had this, but normally you would end up paying a larger deposit (price of the trade in) which reduces overall remainder of the cost of the new vehicle so if you're paying a lease your cost per month would reflect

Total cost of the new car
-
Trade in price of old car
/
Term agreed
=
Cost per month (reduction compared to stated website price)

It would be rare to get money back from a trade in, the only time i've ever had money 'given to me' by a dealer is selling a car but not buying a new one and walking away.

Ideally I would have increased the deposit.

I applied for a Tesla loan using the expected trade in price as my deposit.

The trade in turned out be worth more(!!) and since I was picking the car up two days later I didn't want to go through the whole application process again.

I believe refunds etc have to come from Amsterdam and so can take a while.....

This!

This was my experience when I had to get my deposit refunded (because I ended up leasing instead). I had to call 3 times - each time they were very helpful and the person on the phone in each case went through a process to refund me. But after I'd waited the 14 days (I think) nothing had happened. Rinse and repeat, and it was getting very frustrating. Until suddenly it reappeared as a credit card refund (even though I'd been told it would have to be a bank transfer, had provided IBAN/SWIFT etc).

It was not well managed, but I did get the money and I don't believe it was bad intent, I just think the process is really poor (and poorly understood by CS).

I would try and speak directly to Amsterdam.

• Informative
Reactions: Exy1
The saga continues... I've now chased them more times than I can count. Every time someone replies back. Send me you bank details and I will process it. Stil NOTHING.

Now they are claiming they never got the signed trade in paperwork so I have to sign it again.

I love this car, but the communcation and support is shockingly bad. It's not a lot of money they owe me in the grand scheme of things, but I'm tempted to tweet elon and ask if he can refund me since his support team is obviously not know their arse from their elbow...

I thought I'd ressurrect this thread because exactly the same seems to be happening to me, albeit it's been nearly 3 weeks since picking up my car so a comparatively short amount of time than the OP. But I've been onto customer services twice, provided IBAN, BIC codes etc for my bank account and nothing! I'm leasing my Model 3 directly from Tesla. The trade-in value for my old car was more than the deposit I'd specified in my finance application, and I intended to use the difference to pay for the installation of my home charger. As it is, I've since paid for my home charger using money from elsewhere, and it's left me seriously out of pocket!

Did you ever get the money that was owed, OP?

3 weeks is the normal turnaround time for them to process & settle any difference between deposit & trade-in. I had mine within 4 weeks (Jan '21 from late Dec '20 pickup), so you should be seeing it within a week.
You won't get any notification from them - it will just appear in your account.

Tesla owe me £510 after a trade-in deal on a new MY. I gave them my bank details, but haven't received the money yet. But this was only a week or so ago and so I haven't bothered to chase it yet. From my previous experiences with Tesla refunds, they eventually get there in the end and chasing is usually a waste of your time. I'll give them at least 3 weeks before attempting to make further contact.

This!

This was my experience when I had to get my deposit refunded (because I ended up leasing instead). I had to call 3 times - each time they were very helpful and the person on the phone in each case went through a process to refund me. But after I'd waited the 14 days (I think) nothing had happened. Rinse and repeat, and it was getting very frustrating. Until suddenly it reappeared as a credit card refund (even though I'd been told it would have to be a bank transfer, had provided IBAN/SWIFT etc).

It was not well managed, but I did get the money and I don't believe it was bad intent, I just think the process is really poor (and poorly understood by CS).

I would try and speak directly to Amsterdam.
What is "Amsterdam". I'm owed $18k by Tesla (trade in) and it will be 1 month on 7/7/22. I talked to customer service and they said, "they're working on it". Tesla expects me to be prompt with payment, I don't get why that doesn't apply to them also.

What is "Amsterdam". I'm owed $18k by Tesla (trade in) and it will be 1 month on 7/7/22. I talked to customer service and they said, "they're working on it". Tesla expects me to be prompt with payment, I don't get why that doesn't apply to them also.
You're in the Europe/UK forum - over here all trade-in excess payments are handled by Tesla's office in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
I don't know where/how they handle it in the US.

You're in the Europe/UK forum - over here all trade-in excess payments are handled by Tesla's office in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
I don't know where/how they handle it in the US.
Sounds like it could be via Amsterdam too!! :D

Took me 3 months, 2 aborted car purchases and many hours calling 'Amsterdam' just to get an invoice so I could pay Tesla something.

Seems like never ending 'tighter standards and improved systems' only result in more hoops for the little guy to jump through and potentially to do 'the wrong thing' so that corporate can dodge responsibility.

Feels like a common and increasing problem everywhere.