Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone pls. relax a little - all buyers in the US are pretty lucky if you look at us poor Europeans - and then we don't even mention RHD in the UK (or those in Australia) yet.

Oh we're so doomed as Europeans. Especially a non-core market like mine. I want to believe that I'll get my car during the first 3 months of 2019 but pessimistic people around me say I shouldn't expect it before 2020. (Reserved online March 31st 2016, owner) In all seriousness I believe if Tesla invites country by country in EU and leaves non core markets to way later, there won't be any point in reserving. Say that there are 2000 reservations in my country, by then that will be half a week's production. So having paid a 1000€ 36 months before won't have any significance. I hope they just take EU as a whole country. By EU I mean Type 2 3 phase + CCS cars with EU regulation.

Does anyone have insight into how priority will work once they release other configurations such as standard battery? Assuming that both owner and non-owners have been invited to configure at that point - will it simply be based on configuration/order date at that point? or will there still be other factors such as owner status, original reservation date, etc?

I hope they just take EU as a whole country. By EU I mean Type 2 3 phase + CCS cars with EU regulation.
Elon has said that they will start with Norway. My bet is that they then will continue with Switzerland as none of this countries is in the EU - but still within EEA, and don't need to go via the Tilburg factory.

As far as I know Turkey is neither part of EU or EEA, and I have no idea about if it uses the same car regulations as in EU? If not, I do not know if would be considered part of the same marked as EU at all even if it uses the same charger interface?

"Current" and "existing" by definition do not include "future".

Perhaps, but tomorrow's non-owner can become an 'existing' owner today by placing a deposit on an new S/X or or CPO.

(Need to work on those critical reading skills.) Elon even sent out a tweet that clarified that a non-owner purchasing after Mar 31 will jump the non-owner line by virtue of said person is now an owner.

Reactions: EinSV
That tweet asks what happens if you purchase an S or X today. It says nothing about when the actual reservation was placed. Yes... if someone reserved on day one and then purchased an S in 2018, Elon's reply makes it clear that that person moves ahead in the line. But what if someone has owned a Model S since 2012, but waits until today to reserve a Model 3? It isn't clear from that exchange what happens in that case.

I can shed some light on this with some empirical evidence. I purchased an early Model X and ordered a Model 3 day 1 with an online reservation. My son who was not a Tesla owner also ordered online day 1. He truly needed the car now so I made the very difficult decision to let him buy the car under my reservation and I plan to get my car when his reservation is available. Having a hard time waiting - I ordered a second Model 3 early this year to see if I could improve on the delivery time as an owner. I ended up with a late 2018 date for first production. I think that means I probably gain some preference over non-owners but my son's reservation (day 1 non owner) will come to fruition much sooner. I am not at all upset and think this is a very reasonable and fair outcome.

I know a lot of people have questioned the way people have leveraged their ownership to snag a Model 3, but those who acquired an S or X during the past year no doubt helped Tesla make their delivery numbers at a time when the really needed them and should be rewarded. With my Model X purchase, I did some hard time in a 1980 Taurus station wagon that I bought to cover the year between when the X was supposed to be available and when it actually became available so I appreciate Tesla giving me early delivery of a Model 3 with just an online order.

One thing is certain - when the waiting is over and you actually get your car - you will forget all about what seemed like an eternity waiting for your Model 3.

I can shed some light on this with some empirical evidence. I purchased an early Model X and ordered a Model 3 day 1 with an online reservation. My son who was not a Tesla owner also ordered online day 1. He truly needed the car now so I made the very difficult decision to let him buy the car under my reservation and I plan to get my car when his reservation is available. Having a hard time waiting - I ordered a second Model 3 early this year to see if I could improve on the delivery time as an owner. I ended up with a late 2018 date for first production. I think that means I probably gain some preference over non-owners but my son's reservation (day 1 non owner) will come to fruition much sooner. I am not at all upset and think this is a very reasonable and fair outcome.

I know a lot of people have questioned the way people have leveraged their ownership to snag a Model 3, but those who acquired an S or X during the past year no doubt helped Tesla make their delivery numbers at a time when the really needed them and should be rewarded. With my Model X purchase, I did some hard time in a 1980 Taurus station wagon that I bought to cover the year between when the X was supposed to be available and when it actually became available so I appreciate Tesla giving me early delivery of a Model 3 with just an online order.

One thing is certain - when the waiting is over and you actually get your car - you will forget all about what seemed like an eternity waiting for your Model 3.

Great post but I think it's slightly different. The missing dimension is owner priority per Tesla you own, otherwise you could reserve 25 M3's for friends and family with priority over non-owners.

Perhaps, but tomorrow's non-owner can become an 'existing' owner today by placing a deposit on an new S/X or or CPO.

(Need to work on those critical reading skills.) Elon even sent out a tweet that clarified that a non-owner purchasing after Mar 31 will jump the non-owner line by virtue of said person is now an owner.

Actually, what Elon tweeted is contradictory to what Tesla posted, but since he seems to be an authorized agent, both the Tesla blog and Elon's tweet could be binding on Tesla. In fact, if somehow a non-owner who relied on Tesla's blog and a post-day 1 purchaser who relied on Elon's tweet somehow both got screwed, they could both sue and they could both win, even though their positions are in conflict, because each relied on a different representation that was binding on Tesla. Chew on that for a while Big Dog and see if that doesn't make your head explode.

Tesla also said that priority would be done by region. So it wasn't clear to me if being near the factory would give me priority over an owner line-waiter who was on the east coast (for instance.)
The best available information said "Region -> employee/owner -> Time of registration" as setting priority.

If you see Troy's well researched posts - and his model - this was the assumption.

With my Model X purchase, I did some hard time in a 1980 Taurus station wagon that I bought to cover the year between when the X was supposed to be available and when it actually became available so I appreciate Tesla giving me early delivery of a Model 3 with just an online order.
I assume that’s supposed to be a 1990 since the first year the Taurus was available was 1986, but that had to feel absolutely amazing going from that car to a Model X! My dad bought a 1987 Taurus new that became my car in 1995 and I later had an 89 wagon temporarily. What an awful car.

Actually, what Elon tweeted is contradictory to what Tesla posted, but since he seems to be an authorized agent, both the Tesla blog and Elon's tweet could be binding on Tesla.
I'm guessing that you are talking about this blog post?

Exactly *what* in that blog post does contradictory what Elon tweeted?
It says "existing customers will get priority in each region", but it does not say anything about when they need to be "existing". Was it existing customers March 21, 2016? Or March 31, 2016? April 1, 2016? At the time of reservation? At the time of production start? At the time the configuration email was send?

I understand the very early Tesla buyers were the reason we got to where we are today.

But people act like buying a Tesla from 3/31/06 until today wasn't also very helpful to the cause.

We saw how many times they were running out of money. Their were over 150,000 Tesla's sold since the model 3 was announced.

Those people are also very responsible for this moment.

Elon has said that they will start with Norway. My bet is that they then will continue with Switzerland as none of this countries is in the EU - but still within EEA, and don't need to go via the Tilburg factory.

As far as I know Turkey is neither part of EU or EEA, and I have no idea about if it uses the same car regulations as in EU? If not, I do not know if would be considered part of the same marked as EU at all even if it uses the same charger interface?

Turkey isn’t part of EU but part of EAA I believe. Cars manufactured in EU (the Tilburg way) can’t have a customs tax in Turkey and vice versa. Also car regulations are the same as EU. We order Model S/X through Tilburg now so I hope our reservations are counted the same as Netherlands. Else I have to wait until 2020 having reserved March 31st 2016.

Turkey isn’t part of EU but part of EAA I believe.
No, you are not part of the EEA, but I see now that you are within the EU Customs union:
400px-Supranational_European_Bodies-en.svg.png

So based on what you say about car regulations I think you are within the EU marked from the point of view of Tesla, and should get your car along with everybody else within this marked.

• Informative
Reactions: TEG and FlatSix911
I assume that’s supposed to be a 1990 since the first year the Taurus was available was 1986, but that had to feel absolutely amazing going from that car to a Model X! My dad bought a 1987 Taurus new that became my car in 1995 and I later had an 89 wagon temporarily. What an awful car.

I am sure you are right about the date. I just needed a car for what was hopefully only going to be a couple of months. I bought it for $375. It had all kinds of qwerks but it actually made it through the winter and I grew kind of fond of it. I really only used it for very short trips though.

I am sure you are right about the date. I just needed a car for what was hopefully only going to be a couple of months. I bought it for $375. It had all kinds of qwerks but it actually made it through the winter and I grew kind of fond of it. I really only used it for very short trips though.
I owned a 86 and a 96 Sable - same car. The 96 had its first service ( except oil change) at 93,000 miles when the tires were replaced. Alignment was stlll in spec. Front brakes were changed at 135,000 mi. Car still in the family. Rear brakes original, paint still good. My son changed the heater core a couple of years ago. Don’t knock ‘em until you’ve had one for 22 years..

Well it was comfortable. And in my senior year (1996) we got a lot of snow and there were days I was the only person that showed up for work on my own. Everyone else waited for the boss to pick them up in his big truck. That thing was wonderful in snow. Just had lots of issues at fairly low mileage on both of the ones I had, as did a friend. The name became synonymous with junk for us!