Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner demographics and purchase reasons--past, present, future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
(Moved from Faraday Future - Page 7 )
Interestingly enough, people can be educated, people can learn, and people can change. We once didn't wear seatbelts, we generally do now. We once didn't put our kids in car seats, we generally do now. We once thought we needed to power our cars with fossil fuels, we are now learning we do not. We once thought we needed 16 cupholders and 8 door pockets...we might not in another decade. :wink:

All those examples of changed behavior benefited the individual buying the product.

There is no example of the majority people paying more for less in order to generate external benefits.

Tesla has gone from a boutique manufacture to a niche manufacture because their cars are cool and fast not because of environmental benefits. Do you see thousands of youtube videos by Tesla owners touting the environmental benefits of of Model S?

And Model S owners still b!354! about cup holders and door pockets. They buy despite this because there is no competition. If Cadillac offered a similar BEV value proposition but with an over the top Cadillac interior for the same money sales would be far different for Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
All those examples of changed behavior benefited the individual buying the product.

There is no example of the majority people paying more for less in order to generate external benefits.

Tesla has gone from a boutique manufacture to a niche manufacture because their cars are cool and fast not because of environmental benefits. Do you see thousands of youtube videos by Tesla owners touting the environmental benefits of of Model S?

And Model S owners still b!354! about cup holders and door pockets. They buy despite this because there is no competition. If Cadillac offered a similar BEV value proposition but with an over the top Cadillac interior for the same money sales would be far different for Tesla.
Several polls here have revealed that Tesla buyers are not typical luxury car buyers. I traded a Fiat for my Tesla because it was the first practical BEV. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it also had incredible performance and style. Yes it could have more cupholders but that's way down the list. I would never buy a Cadillac.

Several polls here have revealed that Tesla buyers are not typical luxury car buyers. I traded a Fiat for my Tesla because it was the first practical BEV. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it also had incredible performance and style. Yes it could have more cupholders but that's way down the list. I would never buy a Cadillac.

Seconded, I came from a minivan and to a Tesla for the same reason.
No need for cupholders anymore, my kids are grown up.

Again, stop. If asked many of those people who fought seatbelts (as an example) they always had plenty of reasons why they a) didn't want to be 'benefited', and b) didn't think it was a 'benefit'. But lets just go down that rabbit hole - I'll go on record as saying not having cupholders benefits all those people who are easily distracted and thusly aren't paying close enough attention to the road when reaching for that drink, when accidently spilling it on themselves, when accidently dropping it, and when putting it back in the cupholders. See! Not having cupholders in the car is a 'benefit' to people and I haven't even mentioned the dry cleaning savings, the water savings not having to wash their clothes, the time savings not having to clean the inside of their cars...

Ahahahahahaha! Off the top of my head....I'm pretty sure we've all paid more for less gas at one point in time. Indeed, I'm pretty sure this week I paid more for a tank of gas than I did last week.

Lots of people have purchased the Model S for its environmental benefits and while I've not done the research to find the exact number (and who really cares, really?) there are videos of people expressing the environmental benefits of the Model S. Again, off the top of my head - just someone tell the whole word on FB that they just received their vegan Model S.

It's always fun to make up a story and then guess at the change in outcome. Unfortunately, there's reality. There is no Cadillac to compete with Model S, so Tesla sales are what they are. :wink:

Basically, the mountain your trying to scale is really just a molehill.

Here's one owner who bought it because it's the first practical EV more than because it's cool and fast. I don't want to increase demand for gasoline, which mostly benefits Arab countries, Iran, and Russia. And I don't give a rip about cup holders or door pockets. Not only that, but I prefer Tesla's interior to Cadillac, and the buying process for a Tesla is much superior. So much for your armchair market research into why people buy Teslas.

Here's one owner who bought it because it's the first practical EV more than because it's cool and fast. I don't want to increase demand for gasoline, which mostly benefits Arab countries, Iran, and Russia. And I don't give a rip about cup holders or door pockets. Not only that, but I prefer Tesla's interior to Cadillac, and the buying process for a Tesla is much superior. So much for your armchair market research into why people buy Teslas.

Doesn't disprove my assertions in the least.

I never discounted idealist or ideologues. They are maybe 10% of current Tesla buyers and tend to post here and at Tesla's own site.The support of idealist and ideologues was absolutely crucial to launch Tesla. But that is not the majority of buyers. That is maybe 5k buyers per year. The majority of car buyers are not idealist or ideologues. Selling to this niche will not transition the world to sustainable transportation. It just makes a profitable boutique automaker.

To transition the world to sustainable transportation EV makers will need to match features and functionality in each model's price class.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, stop. If asked many of those people who fought seatbelts (as an example) they always had plenty of reasons why they a) didn't want to be 'benefited', and b) didn't think it was a 'benefit'. But lets just go down that rabbit hole - I'll go on record as saying not having cupholders benefits all those people who are easily distracted and thusly aren't paying close enough attention to the road when reaching for that drink, when accidently spilling it on themselves, when accidently dropping it, and when putting it back in the cupholders. See! Not having cupholders in the car is a 'benefit' to people and I haven't even mentioned the dry cleaning savings, the water savings not having to wash their clothes, the time savings not having to clean the inside of their cars...

Stop the nonsense. Seatbelts were a benefit to individual owners. Even if they did not see the value or want them. That is were education came in. But the fact they were benefits to people does not change.

The arguments that a lack of cupholders is a benefit is pure and utter nonsense. And the fig leaf of an argument dissipates as Auto Pilot improves.

Ahahahahahaha! Off the top of my head....I'm pretty sure we've all paid more for less gas at one point in time. Indeed, I'm pretty sure this week I paid more for a tank of gas than I did last week.

You did not chose to pay more for gas versus an alternative for the external benefits.

Lots of people have purchased the Model S for its environmental benefits and while I've not done the research to find the exact number (and who really cares, really?) there are videos of people expressing the environmental benefits of the Model S. Again, off the top of my head - just someone tell the whole word on FB that they just received their vegan Model S.

Not the majority. And there are at least 50 videos of Tesla acceleration or auto pilot functionality for every one extolling the environmental benefits.

It's always fun to make up a story and then guess at the change in outcome. Unfortunately, there's reality. There is no Cadillac to compete with Model S, so Tesla sales are what they are. :wink:

Basically, the mountain your trying to scale is really just a molehill.

Basically, it is fun to ignore reality. The reality of the market place, BEV incentives, and ICEv disincentives to change those outcomes are what they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla owners that post on TMC are not typical Tesla owners. None of the automotive enthusiast websites represent the typical buyer.

People like saying they buy products for the environmental benefits. It makes them a good citizen of the world. What they buy and options they chose does not correlate with these words. Tesla is continuously surprised by how many people chose luxury and performance options. Elon himself believed this would be a tiny minority and that people would buy the low end models in order to save money, both on the purchase and cost of operation. But ASP is still over $106k because people load up on luxury and performance options.

I suspect a moderator is probably going to split out the discussion about Tesla's customers to another thread, but I wanted to say I think Tesla draws from a wide swath of demographics:

1) Eco car buyers - many are concerned about the environment, but some buy eco cars to be able to drive in HOV lanes in some states, or some other benefit offered to eco car buyers.

2) Techies - A lot of these people have already bought a Tesla Model S as they are usually early adopters of new technology too.

3) Performance car buyers - These people mostly buy P90Ds and are probably responsible for the used market to have a number of P85Ds already when S85Ds are rare on the used market. These are also the people making the dragster videos.

4) Other? - I probably missed a group who are buying for some other reason.

This makes Tesla owners a mixed bag of car buyers who would normally not associate with one another all that much. Tesla is the first car maker to make cars that appeal to such a diverse group of people. I think in the process they have created an entire new car category which hasn't been named or really flashed out yet. The Model S does not fit in with any other car category you can name. It costs the same as large German luxury sedans, but it isn't really in that class otherwise. It's a pure EV like the Leaf and a number of low production cars either on the market or in the pipeline, but it has more range, more cargo space, and better performance than any other BEV out there.

More than I was going to say, but there it is...

We once thought we needed 16 cupholders
20 years ago most German cars didn't come with cupholders. Fast food wasn't a big thing and still isn't as popular in the US. If you wanted to drink something while driving you would just have a bottle of water. I still always have a bottle and most of the time it sits on some net. The only time I actually need them is the few times I go to McDonalds and I'm alone in the car.

I'm in this segment, although I bought an S85D rather than a P... couldn't justify the extra money for something I will rarely use. Instead, I like the overall balance of the 85D as a daily driver. In the end, though, I bought it because it's the best daily driver available right now, and with an added bonus that it's American-made.

However, I have to say I bought it in spite of the eco reputation, not because of it. I personally think the Model S isn't very "green" from a complete life cycle perspective, and that's fine with me. If I wanted to be "green" I would have bought some tiny gas or electric car.

3) Performance car buyers - These people mostly buy P90Ds and are probably responsible for the used market to have a number of P85Ds already when S85Ds are rare on the used market. These are also the people making the dragster videos.

2) Techies - A lot of these people have already bought a Tesla Model S as they are usually early adopters of new technology too.

I'm not an owner (yet) but I fall into this category. Frankly, I'm not a car guy and don't care about auto brands. Ten years ago I had a Mercedes S600 (V 12) and although it was fun, it didn't do anything for me. Soon I was back to a Honda Accord.

The biggest reason I'm interested in Tesla is for the tech. I consider it the "iPhone of cars." When I saw the first iPhone I immediately knew it would change the world and bought it day 1. Although I'm a bit late to the Tesla party, it's a tech product I know will change the world and for that reason I will eventually purchase one.

4) Other? - I probably missed a group who are buying for some other reason.

Some of 2 and 3 but I really bought to support the electrical industry (by which I am employed). Surprisingly, very few in my industry support EV. I'm trying to change that........

How about for #4 (other):

Ex-ICE luxury car owners not happy with service departments and disgusted by the sales attitude.

Been a BMW family for 10+ years. Service started to issue "urgent warnings" that we needed to pay 200 USD for wheel alignments. Yes I bit for my wife's 2007 5 series, but when they sent the same "warning" for my new 2013 X5 (still under maintenance package) I was not happy. I had inquired about wheel alignment services over 10 years before and was told not to worry about it for the BMWs. I can only guess that service center bought a new wheel alignment unit and needed to turn a profit. At the time I was planning to buy a new X5 (test drove and was configuring) for my wife, and told them they just blew a 60-70k deal for 200 bucks.

Shopped around for a MB and audi (wife hates audis so that was out of the question). MB sales folks had all the cars locked and were very uninviting (not so with audi, but like I said, wife hates audis). My friend who only drives MB says "They're just like that. You basically need to be 'introduced'."

After running the numbers, realized Tesla 70D (with AP) was comparable with MB E400, just slightly more expensive than the 535xi, and 10k more than Audi A6 premium (all with autopilot features). Was able to convince the wife to check out the Tesla. Despite the website saying we had to make an appointment, the sales staff offered us a test drive right then and there (without an appointment). Loved the car, found the showroom and people inviting and unpretentious, and the rest is history. We love it. Now I'm waiting on the model X (I'm not much of an early adopter, and want to wait until most of the bugs are gone).

Tesla should never forget it's the people who ultimately sell the car.

I've never been a car guy. I sold a 2000 VW Jetta with 260k miles a month before I bought my MS 70, however, I had driven it maybe 5 miles in the last two years, I've been taking the light rail to and from work. I'm a techie to the fullest, I'm probably towards the lower financial rungs of new Tesla purchasers but my wife and I found it totally feasible. Autopilot was the straw that put me over the top on buying. I've been following Tesla and Elon intently since about 2008. I love to support companies I believe in and I have a lot of brand loyalty towards those organizations. I'm just over a week into ownership and the grin hasn't left my face, I still go to the garage just to look at her.

I've never been a car guy. I sold a 2000 VW Jetta with 260k miles a month before I bought my MS 70, however, I had driven it maybe 5 miles in the last two years, I've been taking the light rail to and from work. I'm a techie to the fullest, I'm probably towards the lower financial rungs of new Tesla purchasers but my wife and I found it totally feasible. Autopilot was the straw that put me over the top on buying. I've been following Tesla and Elon intently since about 2008. I love to support companies I believe in and I have a lot of brand loyalty towards those organizations. I'm just over a week into ownership and the grin hasn't left my face, I still go to the garage just to look at her.

Tomorrow is 3 years for me, same grin.

Welcome to the club...

In the years prior to purchase of our S85, I drove a Mini. Since I work from home, it only averaged about 4000 miles/year. I told the insurance folks I'd probably double that, but in a year put 16K on the car.

I had EV intent for some time- drove the Mitsubishi and tried to buy a Spark EV. Even a letter to Mary Barra wouldn't release a car for sale in Ohio- only in CA or Oregon. Test drove a Tesla. My wife test drove a week later and we ordered at that point.

My draw? The tech package combined with ecology just made sense. And portends the future.

Yes, I'm absolutely sold: long on TSLA and SolarCity. I'd buy SpaceX too, if available.

I actually purchased the Tesla over the BMW because of its green creds. I really didn't want to charge every day and wanted to be able to count on the car for cross-country trips so the range was the clincher. Don't get me wrong, I love the acceleration (even on my modest S70D) and the uber cool electronics but the key is that I feel great driving this car knowing from the day it is completed it is not going to generate CO2 (directly that is).

Let's never forget terrorism. Terrorism and Oil go hand in hand.
Map out terrorism in the world and big oil producing countries. The correlation is unavoidable.
Buying a BEV is the one certain way to cut terrorism from their $$$ sources and get rid of them in the long run.
A future where Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iraq and Nigeria all loose their easy oil dollars is a future where terrorism lost most of its support.

To finish the terrorism financing process would also require having diamonds become mostly artificial and have rare earth sources from democratic countries. (Diamonds and other expensive mining is the other terrorism magnet, mainly in Africa).

I see an Ad in the future... The sure way to end ISIS and Al Qaeda, buy a BEV.

Canada produces about 4% of daily production, the US about 12%, and Saudi Arabia about 11%. But after that you get into the fact that the bulk of oil production comes from a lot of countries, most of whom, in addition to SA are part of OPEC and, could with the most macroscopic lens be seen as 'terrorist hotbeds'. That said, every country has extremist elements, even the US though the media seems very reluctant to apply the word 'terrorist' when it's a home-grown nut job.