Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will you be super charging all the way to Anaheim or cutting through Montana?

Supercharging, which means we are taking the longer route through BC, then into Washington, then California. My estimate is 62 hours and 12 mins of total travel time, which includes hotel sleeps, and charging. It's 3069.9KMs through BC, and 2507KM's going through Montana. Only about 560KMs longer the way we are going, not a big deal, but I am looking forward to future super chargers that would allow us to go straight South.

Well I flew to Toronto to have a look at the car I ordered before they ship it to Calgary. It's over a year old and only has 12,000 km. Previous owner took really good care of it. Guess they don't use gravel on the winter roads in Toronto. No 3m on it and no rock chips at all.

It's an 85, no P, no D. :)
21" Turbines are in the back.
Had a chance to see the new software artwork. I kind of liked to old 3D look.

View attachment 99490

Congratulation, I've always like the silver for the model s. You'll have to show us the new car when you get it here in cowtown.
welcome to the tesla family.

Supercharging, which means we are taking the longer route through BC, then into Washington, then California. My estimate is 62 hours and 12 mins of total travel time, which includes hotel sleeps, and charging. It's 3069.9KMs through BC, and 2507KM's going through Montana. Only about 560KMs longer the way we are going, not a big deal, but I am looking forward to future super chargers that would allow us to go straight South.
More scenic route also.
I did it 2 years ago and, although the SC built out was quit a bit less, it was relaxing vs rushed and very enjoyable.
Now you can do more of the 101 Pacific Coast Highway

Wow, that sure seems like a lot of driving! Travel with Superchargers is very relaxed and just the right amount of breaks in my opinion. I have always loved road trips and road trips in a Tesla are that much funner!

Enjoy - looking forward to hearing about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I flew to Toronto to have a look at the car I ordered before they ship it to Calgary. It's over a year old and only has 12,000 km. Previous owner took really good care of it. Guess they don't use gravel on the winter roads in Toronto. No 3m on it and no rock chips at all.

It's an 85, no P, no D. :)
21" Turbines are in the back.
Had a chance to see the new software artwork. I kind of liked to old 3D look.
Looks great! Looking forward to seeing it in person. I think we are building a great community of Tesla owners in Calgary - it's interesting to see it come together!

Happened to my son in the US

Great meeting everyone today, once I get to my laptop I will post some photos.

Turns out I got lucky, after leaving our lunch I drove around for an hour and as I parked the car got a low power warning. Turned the car off and back on and now had several messages pop up. Long story short, within an hour of calling roadside support I received a call from Mark in Vancouver - the battery failed, car is going to get shipped to vancouver this week for a full on replacement. Worst thing is there are no tesla loaners available in alberta so im getting ice'd. I will say the turn around to get some answers was quick. Now lets hope they can move the car quickly.[/QUOTE

My son has a 2013 S, lives in WA-his car refused to start one day, luckily was at home-Tesla Bellevue towed it in, gave it a fresh battery. I own a 2015 S D, hoping this never happens to me as an Edmonton is not close to the Calgary shop.

Just finished cleaning up a video we took right after we upgraded the Tesla software with autopilot and autopark capability. You can see it here: tesla002 autopilot and autopark - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to have one on the Anaheim trip too, once we get back.....

Just received notification from YouTube that my second video is up there now. This one documents one of my trips to Edmonton. It covers the return trip from Edmonton to Calgary. Here it is: tesla001 - edm2calgary

Has anyone else noticed issues with Red Deer Supercharger stall 2A, whereby it refuses to release so you can pull the cable out of the car? I have had issues there 3 times now (luck would have it that I keep plugging into that stall!). I don't have issues when I plug into any other stall at Red Deer or Canmore (so I don't think it is me or my car). I did call Tesla to report the issue, but the lady that took the call seemed indifferent about it (I called _after_ spending 10 minutes trying and finally succeeding in freeing my car from the cable... she didn't see what the issue was since I wasn't currently stuck).

And on another topic... while heading to Canmore, we charged at Red Deer and stopped charging as soon as it said we were good. The car initially reported about an 8% buffer. About 20 minutes into the drive, it dropped to 4%. In the end, we made it to Canmore with 6km/1% remaining. I have been wanting to 'push' the car regarding range... 6km... I think that's as close as I care to push LOL. Never particularly concerned about not making it, just slowed down slightly and toggled the heat a couple of times (but nothing causing us to be cool). As the temperature keeps decreasing, I'm going to have to remember to allow ample buffer... got used to the car exceeding expectations in good weather!

Was it anyone here that my wife was chatting with Saturday morning at the Canmore charger?

Last edited:
Driver just called. He said he should be dropping off our new car between eleven and one. Not sure if he can get the big truck down my street. Hope it doesn't snow too much tonight.
I've been following the location of the car using the App since it left Toronto. The battery charge has dropped 46 Km since they unplugged it a week ago.
Not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight. Feels like Christmas eve! :smile:

Saw Chris at Chinook Mall yesterday. He says they are planning a party for the official store opening this month. Stay tuned!

Driver just called. He said he should be dropping off our new car between eleven and one. Not sure if he can get the big truck down my street. Hope it doesn't snow too much tonight.
I've been following the location of the car using the App since it left Toronto. The battery charge has dropped 46 Km since they unplugged it a week ago.
Not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight. Feels like Christmas eve! :smile:

Saw Chris at Chinook Mall yesterday. He says they are planning a party for the official store opening this month. Stay tuned!
Congrats, I can almost feel your excitement!

I didn't need an out of province inspection because mine wasn't "used" it was "inventory" so the government treated it as new.
If your car is coming from BC tesla can do the out of province inspection in Vancouver and Alberta registries will honour it, however they only do that for BC and Saskatchewan, no other province. When I asked my DS about the inspection (before we realised it wouldn't be needed in my case ) he suggested a place, but I can't find the info anywhere, I must have deleted it, sorry.

EDIT: I see someone said harpers tires, I think that's the one my DS recommended.

Since the white stuff is upon us here in Calgary I am looking for winter driving / Skid training courses. Please share if you know who are providing these courses.
I used to drive AWD in 3 of my previous cars, but now that i have the 85 RWD i would like to strengthen my skillset.
Timing to take the course is likely not happening until Jan/Feb 2015 when ice/snow are plentyfull.

If we can get a group of Tesla's on ice together that would be even better.