Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, sorry Greg, I have to agree with these comments! The font looks slightly narrow perhaps, but still very much a '2'. And they don't look plastered over to me (placards may have been finally swapped out). I've seen the dash change as I pass a sign, suggesting it read the sign and made a decision on its own. Sometimes it would switch to 100, other times to 110. But never 120. I too suspect there is a sanity check happening.

It's frustrating and I always wonder how that incorrect speed limit knowledge contributes to the poor energy prediction accuracy on this route.
From a software point of view it would be insane to build in a country specific override. This software is designed to work across many countries with as few differences as possible. In this case there is no obvious reason for imposing country specific limits that would invariably be out of date and incorrect. What is true is that if it cant read a sign it uses the GPS data instead which does appear to be out of date. I'm not going to push my faulty sign theory but the software bug idea seems even more ludicrous to me. Then again I've been working with software for a few decades so I'm more opinionated on that front.

From a software point of view it would be insane to build in a country specific override. This software is designed to work across many countries with as few differences as possible. In this case there is no obvious reason for imposing country specific limits that would invariably be out of date and incorrect. What is true is that if it cant read a sign it uses the GPS data instead which does appear to be out of date. I'm not going to push my faulty sign theory but the software bug idea seems even more ludicrous to me. Then again I've been working with software for a few decades so I'm more opinionated on that front.
Do you know of anywhere that Tesla sells cars where a white rectangular speed limit sign reading "120" would exist other than BC? I don't. What programmer wouldn't implement sanity checks on the input to weed out things like reading 700kph when it's supposed to be 100 or such?
If it was one sign, sure there's something with the sign, but it was EVERY sign in both directions for several hundred km. That's software.

Do you know of anywhere that Tesla sells cars where a white rectangular speed limit sign reading "120" would exist other than BC? I don't. What programmer wouldn't implement sanity checks on the input to weed out things like reading 700kph when it's supposed to be 100 or such?
If it was one sign, sure there's something with the sign, but it was EVERY sign in both directions for several hundred km. That's software.
i don't and I doubt Tesla does either. It's possible that they could glean maximum speed limits from the GPS data but that would defeat the point of reading signs that can override the GPS data.
Do you think that if a sanity limit was set that Tesla would investigate all speed limits in all jurisdictions in the world, then set the limit only 10 kph over that limit and hope that nobody in any locale in the world ever changed it? One would hope they would at least pick a number north of 200 kph, bearing in mind countries like Germany. I guess it's possible that a junior programmer designed this with no oversight but I find this even less likely than the signs all being converted using a non standard paint and or decal. Presumably all signs were done at the same time by the same company.

i don't and I doubt Tesla does either. It's possible that they could glean maximum speed limits from the GPS data but that would defeat the point of reading signs that can override the GPS data.
Here's a thought... has anyone seen the camera override the GPS data to *increase* the posted limit? Or just to decrease *below* the GPS-provided limit?

There were a few spots on the TCH that saw speed limit bumps at around the same time as the Coq went to 120. I can't say that the camera dealt well with them initially either (90 to 100 change).

However, in both cases without knowing what was in or updated in the GPS around the same time and since, it's impossible to know what's been going on... Spots on the TCH that now work well since 7.0 might have been updated in the GPS... or the software improved the accuracy of reading the signs. Or both.

Here's a thought... has anyone seen the camera override the GPS data to *increase* the posted limit? Or just to decrease *below* the GPS-provided limit?

There were a few spots on the TCH that saw speed limit bumps at around the same time as the Coq went to 120. I can't say that the camera dealt well with them initially either (90 to 100 change).

However, in both cases without knowing what was in or updated in the GPS around the same time and since, it's impossible to know what's been going on... Spots on the TCH that now work well since 7.0 might have been updated in the GPS... or the software improved the accuracy of reading the signs. Or both.
Yes, the camera overrides both up and down. on the TCH the camera frequently shows you the new higher limit, only for the old lower one to pop up on your display 20 minutes later nowhere near any speed sign, so the camera can definitely do both higher, and lower, speeds.

I'm 100% certain this is not an issue with the signs, they're made identically to all the ones it can read, this is DEFINITELY a software thing. No other explanation makes sense. gpetti you're right that they SHOULD have picked a larger offset on their sanity check, but we now know they didn't. As for taking germany in to account, Why do you think that they use the same algorithm? the signs look completely different over there, and our cars don't seem to be able to read that style of speed limit sign (I know, I drove past one that someone had transplanted here...)

Hi,
not sure how many people have seen this thread :
2015 Tesla Employee Appreciation Event
lasr year a few of us sent messages to the factory workers who were working round the clock to get P85Ds out by year end.
tesla bought pizza on our behalf. It occurred to me that if any Calfary owners are interested in doing a video clip(this years idea) we could do one jointly the next time we meet up. Possibly each owner could stand near their car and or each person holds a card with name and car model and the cars are all in the background. Another idea is that we create an audio clip with a message and list of owners then use one of Footbags Waldo (drone) videos.
I realize that not everyone will want to do this as it is kind of unusual really, just thought it would be cool if some of us did a joint one.

Hi,
lasr year a few of us sent messages to the factory workers who were working round the clock to get P85Ds out by year end.
tesla bought pizza on our behalf. It occurred to me that if any Calfary owners are interested in doing a video clip(this years idea) we could do one jointly the next time we meet up. Possibly each owner could stand near their car and or each person holds a card with name and car model and the cars are all in the background. Another idea is that we create an audio clip with a message and list of owners then use one of Footbags Waldo (drone) videos.
I realize that not everyone will want to do this as it is kind of unusual really, just thought it would be cool if some of us did a joint one.
That's a cool idea! Outside my comfort zone (in front of camera) but as long as it's going to Tesla employees then sure, I'm in.

Hi,

I really like the idea, I'm in. I am with 3s-a-charm, I am a little nervous being in front of the camera.

Hi,
You could expand this to include more than just Calgary owners if someone is willing to do the editing...

If I am visualizing the idea correctly, it would be a fast slide show of people holding up the sign, or doing a thumbs-up or whatever.... you could use still photos for most of it instead of video, then mix in some video with audio clips to add interest... It could go to the Vancouver service center as well, since they've been supporting all of us.

If you're willing to include more than just Calgary and more than Alberta, I'd be interested and would see about getting a still shot from each of us in Kamloops.

I'm 100% certain this is not an issue with the signs, they're made identically to all the ones it can read, this is DEFINITELY a software thing. No other explanation makes sense. gpetti you're right that they SHOULD have picked a larger offset on their sanity check, but we now know they didn't. As for taking germany in to account, Why do you think that they use the same algorithm? the signs look completely different over there, and our cars don't seem to be able to read that style of speed limit sign (I know, I drove past one that someone had transplanted here...)
Flogging this near-dead horse some more...

Here's a typical sign - this one just outside of Kamloops:

64725BCLN2007BrjwxCDCQAEJ4QG3.jpg

I don't see what could be wrong with the numerals that could could cause confusion. I'm left to think that it must be an issue on the programming end. I note that the Tesla system is apparently able to read the Finnish 120 limit signs without issue... Red circle, black letters on a orange background.

It's weird and it's annoying. And I can't help but wonder if this is what is messing up the energy calculations on the route. When I see speed limits on my dash that are completely out to lunch and sometimes even down to less than city speeds, there's clearly a problem. And it's a bigger deal as the winter weather becomes more of an issue for energy consumption...

Flogging this near-dead horse some more...

Here's a typical sign - this one just outside of Kamloops:

I don't see what could be wrong with the numerals that could could cause confusion. I'm left to think that it must be an issue on the programming end. I note that the Tesla system is apparently able to read the Finnish 120 limit signs without issue... Red circle, black letters on a orange background.

It's weird and it's annoying. And I can't help but wonder if this is what is messing up the energy calculations on the route. When I see speed limits on my dash that are completely out to lunch and sometimes even down to less than city speeds, there's clearly a problem. And it's a bigger deal as the winter weather becomes more of an issue for energy consumption...
Thanks! I thought it only a matter of time before you would take a picture of a sign :) Given that this is getting way off topic (even for this all purpose thread), consider the horse dead for now. Despite my incredulity about the software having a limit, obviously without any insight to the actual inner workings of this software, there could be a few reasons why the software might refuse to accept a 120 Kph limit in a North American style sign - some sensible and some not. Hopefully at some point we will find out but in the meantime, I think range predictions will anyway be dependent on the GPS data so getting that updated might be the first priority.
When I drove from Hope to Summerland I don't remember mine being wildly off target. Looking back at my numbers I had an average of 221 Wh/Km (in a P85D) but it was 13 degrees and dry. I was using Range mode - as I believe everyone with a D should - for what its worth.

Thanks for the photos. Looks like it was well-attended, and you say it got busier!

It looks like there isn't room for another vehicle in that store unless they remove the skateboard. Very cool, though; I haven't seen a skateboard in person yet. The Vancouver store has a wall-mounted motor with a cutaway on display (the store has room for only one vehicle in the first place) … Calgary might have to get one of those to replace the skateboard to make room for the X.

The Calgary event was indeed awesome! It was so packed in there you could barely move around. Lot's of people attended, and they made us feel very special indeed. The invite only event meant that you had to check in and if you brought (up to 3) guests with you you had to check them in as well. Got to meet most of the new Calgary team, and talk about anything and everything.

Got to meet some people from this forum and also some from the Alberta EVAA Facebook group as well. People came down from Edmonton, and Red Deer to attend!

It it truly was a historic event. A Tesla point of presence in Calgary Alberta! Times they are a changing.

This was taken during the Regional VP speech... there are still people behind me and two full size cars (one skateboard) so yes, it was packed. Great people - both owners and staff - and again great to put some names and faces to forum members as well as staff from Tesla who demonstrate the passion for the brand so well.
FullSizeRender.jpg