Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners That Hog Supercharger Spaces

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This behavior is so inconsiderate. When they had/have an ICE car do they park at the gas station and walk away to do their shopping? What makes them think it is acceptable to do this at SuperCharger? I would like to see some kind of enforcement. 1st a warning, then 2nd, banned from using any SuperCharger. Level2 charging for life...that'll be fun on a road trip.

Reactions: Guy V
I have been seeing more and more Tesla owners parking in supercharger spots unplugged just so they have a better parking space to do their shopping. I am not sure how Tesla can address this.

Just today, someone parked next to me while charging at a very busy supercharger location and did not plug in. They just left. They know it will cost them to leave it plugged in so they just game the system this way.

This is just as bad as ICING, perhaps worse since they know full well what they are doing.

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Greg - NJ

Some states (like Ca) have laws that state you cannot block charging access, so you could have them towed by complaining to the property owner. Ca.’s law states:
the owner or person in lawful possession of a privately owned or operated offstreet parking facility, after notifying the police or sheriff’s department, may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space designated pursuant to subdivision (a) in the facility to the nearest public garage if the vehicle is not connected for electric charging purposes.

NJ is not one of those states though. :-(

Legislation Reference - Reserved Parking for Plug-In Vehicle Charging | PlugInSites

I have been seeing more and more Tesla owners parking in supercharger spots unplugged just so they have a better parking space to do their shopping. I am not sure how Tesla can address this.

Just today, someone parked next to me while charging at a very busy supercharger location and did not plug in. They just left. They know it will cost them to leave it plugged in so they just game the system this way.

This is just as bad as ICING, perhaps worse since they know full well what they are doing.

Greg - NJ

Yeah, I keep meaning to make a little stack of notes to drop on the windshields of these guys. It's pretty damn rude. The note would be a friendly reminder, like "I tried to charge, but you blocked the last spot. Please be respectful of your fellow Tesla owner that might be travelling a long distance and need to charge"

Saw this yesterday.

Plenty of open spaces but two things (besides the obvious) bothered me about the Model S parked at the charger:

1) it was the closest spot to the storefronts (even though there were closer non-charging spaces) and
2) it was the pull in spot which is supposed to be for those pulling trailers.

Clearly, somebody who thinks the car comes with reserved “parking” spaces wherever s/he goes so, no, I didn’t try plugging it in during a rainstorm. Guess I could’ve parked behind and plugged mine in then waited to see them try to leave but I left before they did so...

Agree that this behavior is worse than ICEing but I had more trouble with illegible cabinet numbers (or the ones hidden by the urban SC cables) and Tesla nav directing me to full locations during my recent trip (still can’t change route!).

Last thought, shouldn’t it be ICEing rather than ICing?

Greg - NJ
Tesla needs a charging station Sentry mode to record and charge the trasspasers

Yeah, I keep meaning to make a little stack of notes to drop on the windshields of these guys. It's pretty damn rude. The note would be a friendly reminder, like "I tried to charge, but you blocked the last spot. Please be respectful of your fellow Tesla owner that might be travelling a long distance and need to charge"
This is probably the least aggressive way to handle it. Whether it is effective or not remains to be seen, unfortunately.

People who are that inconsiderate aren’t going to care about a sign. And no one could possibly think it’s OK to use it as a parking space because they’re driving a Tesla. Tesla has its share of jerks as owners now. My guess is their previous car started with a B and ended with a W.

I've seen plenty of cars parked at gas pumps while the owner was inside shopping. It seems that some of these inconsiderate jerks have upgraded to Tesla.

This is more of a people being people problem than a Tesla owner problem. Some people are just rude, selfish, self absorbed. Some people really are dumb enough to think they're not doing anything wrong. I like the idea of taking a pic of VIN and sending to Tesla, does this actually work?

Reactions: ICE collector
All the mall superchargers I've been too, the spaces have been furthest away from the mall or on the top floor of the garage so they were never prime spots.
I hope that is the norm. Every week I stop at the supercharger in Florence, SC. They put it right in the prime spot, not only at the mall entrance, but right at the food court. It's frequently pretty heavily ICED.

I thought we had previously settled that one cannot plug in a locked Tesla, no? I'll try to remember to shut off my Bluetooth and try that. It's kind of a jerk move, and doesn't get you the charge you may need at the time, but in the long run it may help.

Take advantage of the Sentry Mode that you know they have enabled. Make a sign and hold it up to their camera. Let them know you've taken a picture of their license plate and their car abusing the SC stall and you will publicly shame them on forums as well as report them to Tesla.
Gee, glad you aren't my neighbor. I'm wondering if your distant ancestors put people in stockades in front of town square and threw rocks at them because the person took a loaf of bread ;) I'd take a simpler more effective approach. :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno
I've seen plenty of cars parked at gas pumps while the owner was inside shopping. It seems that some of these inconsiderate jerks have upgraded to Tesla.
I was surprised to see this when traveling once. I could understand if they started pumping fuel and had to rush in for a restroom need but to just park at the gas pump and not even be fueling was quite unexpected when I was waiting to fuel while driving our ICE SUV before buying our Model 3. Maybe bad parenting leads to a sense of intitlement for some. In my younger more fit and quick to anger days, I'd give them the ass whooping they must have missed out on...;-)

Reactions: cwmagui
Yes take a photo of the car not plugged in, and plate number and then post it here on this site. Also send the vin to Tesla with the photo. Maybe Tesla could come up with a way the car would sence the location when parked at the superchanger over 5 mins and not plugged in, then century mode could send a warning telling you to plug in or get the idling fee charged to you. Yes very sad people do this.

I learned something today,,, I thought your key had to be present to open your charge port. YIKES!! I don't understand why people think they can just park their vehicle at a charging station. Obviously they have never waited to charge up? Did these people do this when they drove ICE vehicles? Parking their vehicles at a gas station out of convenience? Why do they think this is different? I don't know about you but, I park my baby the furthest away from general public as possible, always! SMH I say call a tow truck... There needs to be a sign,.... VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED AT OWNERS EXPENSE... I only leave my vehicle to go to the bathroom (if there is one) while charging.