Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Work in Oil/Gas Industry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if there are any Model S owners out there that work in the oil/gas industry? I do not currently own a Model S or work in oil/gas but that may change in the near future. Would I have to choose one or the other?

I do not personally work in the oil industry, but both of my parents worked for Mobil (and subsequently Exxon-Mobil) as geophysicists for 25+ years each. My dad is actually very much a fan of the Model S and has a fairly sizable holding in TSLA. I don't think he (or any of his former colleagues) view Tesla as a major threat at this point. People will still consume gasoline, even if an affordable electric car is an option.

There was one guy who posted in "what do you do for work" who said this:

"All right, that question got me to register.

I work for an Oil Company.

I try to find MORE oil, and to get it out of the ground as cheaply and safely as possible.

At the moment I'm sitting on an oil production platform far out in the ocean, drilling an injection well which should hopefully increase the oil production from nine other wells.

Electric cars just make more sense!" -Ole

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7205-What-do-you-do-for-work-Just-passing-time-waiting-for-updates-from-Tesla-)/page28?p=243427&viewfull=1#post243427

I work for a big oil company. I own a Model S and offset my home's electrical usage with rooftop solar.

I've taken my Model S to work and showed it to my colleagues, who like it. One of them bought me lunch in exchange for a ride. I showed the Model S to one of the managers who was really excited about it. Like me, my colleagues are engineers so they are intrigued by cool technology.

Gentilly, there's a small percentage of individuals with some pretty extreme anti-EV views. I'm not convinced that these extremists are any more common in the oil industry than in most other businesses. I don't know any of these types in my company, though I suppose there's some.

I worked in the Oil & Gas industry full-time for 13 years then another 13 years in IT, but still doing projects mostly in Oil & Gas. I don't find a negative EV or anti-sustainable bias amongst my colleagues. We all realize that fossil fuels will not last for ever and if anything, prolonging their use is a good thing. One thing individual companies look at from time-to-time is the remaining proven reserves of oil/gas, and this number is always reducing unless and until a new discovery is made or a new technique is perfected whereby more hydrocarbons can be extracted. I have seen entire companies close and lay off their workforce because the concession/field they were created to explore and develop dried up. It has been my experience that the so called anti-ev extremists are more likely to be motivated by political views.

I was wondering if there are any Model S owners out there that work in the oil/gas industry? I do not currently own a Model S or work in oil/gas but that may change in the near future. Would I have to choose one or the other?

Why do you need to choose one or the other? oil has uses outside being burned. Like all resources. Burning resources is wasteful and unsustainable.

I am a consultant for oil refineries. I have been in over 100. I give presentations. The background on my company computer is a photo of my Brown Model S. I drove my Model S to a very large major refinery south of Houston last week. I often take my primary contact there to lunch in my Model S. One of the young ladies at the refinery saw my screen saver and asked if I had a Model S. She is planning to buy one!

I also own a Volt and almost never buy gasoline. Almost every light in my high rise condo is an LED. Just because I have expertise in refining crude oil efficiently, doesn't preclude me from utilizing energy in the most efficient manner in my personal life.

Reactions: dzmconstr
My brother works on a drill ship. He's hoping that they will start doing more wind turbine drilling soon. Some of their ships do it now.
Most of their stress is spill prevention.

What is shocking is the rate at which they are cranking out new drill ships.

Oils has uses from detergents, to synthetic fabric, to plastics, to candles, to lubricants . . . we shouldn't be anti-oil, let's just not burn it!

+1

Also is it not correct that compared to today, virtually no one will be needed to work the oil industry when gasoline cars go away. Unless everyone starts wearing disposable nylon body suits. :D

I would expect that engineers in the industry would be positive about PEVs. They can see how extraction is going. Their jobs would be safer than ever because when thigs get more difficult you need more expertise. It's investors, people who work at gas stations or people who drive gasoline delivery trucks who might have reason to worry about PEVs.

But, it's a reasonable quedtion from the OP. He doesn't want to feel like he'd be driving a big "Oil Companies Suck" bumper sticker to an oil company office.

Oils has uses from detergents, to synthetic fabric, to plastics, to candles, to lubricants . . . we shouldn't be anti-oil, let's just not burn it!

You know, some of my family members say that, but 67% of oil is used for our transportation. We don't need the oil companies to drill for more oil when we have EVs. They have enough already for the other purposes.

MOVE_TransportationUses2[1].gif

I am in the Oil & Gas business. My first electric vehicle was a Segway. With it I learned to appreciate the efficiency and fun of an EV. I told myself that if an electric car ever came along that I could afford and was as fun as the Segway then I would buy it. So I guess there is a benefit to being in the Oil & Gas business. It allowed me the resource to buy a Segway.

The decision was not driven by any desire to be green or different. I just wanted to enjoy every minute driven. Now that I have a Model S I do enjoy every minute. Even when I am stuck in traffic I can catch up on my Web browsing or at least employ google maps to avoid the slowdown ahead.

I worked for Shell and now work for an IT spinoff. Also, living in Houston, I know of at least one BP and one Chevron employee that owns one, as well as some oil field services folks. While there are certainly anti-EV folks out there (in many industries, not just energy), most of the energy folks I know are pretty open minded when it comes to EVs.

I worked 8 years for Amoco Corporation, which was bought by BP. I have been an engineering consultant for past 25 years. BP, ExxonMobil and Qatar Petroleum ar three big clients. I often show them pictures and tell of my experiences with our Model S. They are all excited hearing about its performance, innovated design, and are really happy for me. I never perceived any animosity toward EVs, as big oil is simply too dominant and will be for all their careers. Frankly, engineers are mostly intrigued by new technologies, and Tesla is respected for what they are, a great run business.

There was one guy who posted in "what do you do for work" who said this:

"All right, that question got me to register.

I work for an Oil Company.

I try to find MORE oil, and to get it out of the ground as cheaply and safely as possible.

At the moment I'm sitting on an oil production platform far out in the ocean, drilling an injection well which should hopefully increase the oil production from nine other wells.

Electric cars just make more sense!" -Ole

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Tesla-)/page28?p=243427&viewfull=1#post243427

That would be me.
I notic that on an average day there are Teslas in at least 6 of the 57 charge spots in the car park at work, the rest are mostly Leafs.

I've had my MS in Houston for over a year - and now see more MS's on the road - both locally - and when driving in the "Texas triangle" of Superchargers.

When I had my MS in for 25K service recently, I heard Model S sales in the Houston area exceeded expectations - evidently Tesla also thought that an area with a lot of major oil and gas companies would not be as interested in the Model S.

Tesla's inability to sell cars from their stores in Texas is not due to the energy industry - it is the strong resistance from the auto dealerships - which have been successful not only in preventing Tesla to sell cars from their stores - but also in keeping auto dealerships closed on Sundays - the only product that can't be purchased on Sundays in Texas.