Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA paint touch up kit (at least for Deep Blue Metallic) sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a small rock chip on the side of the door I got the Tesla Kit (which I know is really Dr. Chip Kit) any way I did it multiple times and the paint does not match at all it stands out like a sore thumb. Is there another paint that matches the color better? This one is too dark.

Attachments

• 2020-03-13 13.26.30.jpg
    2020-03-13 13.26.30.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 857
  • 2020-03-13 13.25.48.jpg
    2020-03-13 13.25.48.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 680
  • 2020-03-13 13.25.31.jpg
    2020-03-13 13.25.31.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 682
That’s surprising to me. I used the Dr. color chip I ordered in several areas and most of them I can’t even find anymore it worked so well. At least in my case it was perfect.
Took me forever to do tho. I was very patient and did the same spot little by little over and over until it slowly disappeared.
No chance they sent the wrong PN to you by mistake?

Yes these are after pics before these you could see the silver steel body. The paint is just blue there are no identifying numbers on the bottle to tell which one is it at the bottom it says 12/20

Attachments

• 574F131E-D2A1-4E0A-9ECA-CE8E821BDBD5.jpeg
    574F131E-D2A1-4E0A-9ECA-CE8E821BDBD5.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 669
The pictures look like you used the kit for the old blue metallic paint (PMMB) on a deep blue metallic car (PPSB). The old blue was quite a bit darker and less sparkly, you can see a comparison here: My Metallic Blue (left) vs the new blue. : teslamotors
FWIW, I used Tesla's PPSB kit on my deep blue metallic 3 and it came out perfectly - I cannot tell where this chip was without running my fingers over the paint.

The application is not too complicated and I also made sure to shake the bottle well before applying. Cleaned the extra paint around. Started by applying it just above the chip and than use the squeegee to swipe the paint.

The pictures look like you used the kit for the old blue metallic paint (PMMB) on a deep blue metallic car (PPSB). The old blue was quite a bit darker and less sparkly, you can see a comparison here: My Metallic Blue (left) vs the new blue. : teslamotors
FIWI, I used Tesla's PPSB kit on my deep blue metallic 3 and it came out perfectly - I cannot tell where this chip was without running my fingers over the paint.
I think that is exactly what happened they freaking sent me the wrong kit even though I ordered the new one and it says it shipped the new one

I think that is exactly what happened they freaking sent me the wrong kit even though I ordered the new one and it says it shipped the new one
There should be a sticker with the paint label and code on the back of the box. Doesn't guarantee that the right paint is inside, of course, but worth a look. Note that initially even the right blue paint will look way darker, but after letting it dry for a few minutes, blending, and polishing, it should be a very close match.

There should be a sticker with the paint label and code on the back of the box. Doesn't guarantee that the right paint is inside, of course, but worth a look. Note that initially even the right blue paint will look way darker, but after letting it dry for a few minutes, blending, and polishing, it should be a very close match.
Isn”t blending just cleaning the paint around the chip?I tried my best not to touch the newly applied paint as the instructions said not to do that. I tried the paint on a piece of paper and it looks just like the older darker blue. I did check and the sleeve on the box said it is PSSB but the bottle or the inside box does not say what color it is or any part numbers.

also these pictures were taken about a month after I applied the patch.

I have deep metallic blue and I repaired a deep scratch and it matched perfectly. No clear coat but the paint matches and visually it looks way better other than on close inspection.

I'd contact Tesla and get a new kit for the right blue.

That’s surprising to me. I used the Dr. color chip I ordered in several areas and most of them I can’t even find anymore it worked so well. At least in my case it was perfect.
Took me forever to do tho. I was very patient and did the same spot little by little over and over until it slowly disappeared.
No chance they sent the wrong PN to you by mistake?
I wonder, does the color change over time (from exposure to UV rays) to end up matching perfectly? I touched-up my Pearl White Multi-Coat and it clearly does not match - it's a bit darker. I just left it as is after the second attempt hoping it would 'blend in' over time.

I have DDR kit for PPSB (Deep Blue Metallic)

After applying the paint match is perfect, but the extra thickness make the repair visible (which is perfectly normal and why the blending solution is for).
But after blending, the touch up paint looks rough and not polished, and its surface aspect looks totally different than the surrounding original paint.
I have contacted the DDR support, which told me it can happen with certain paints and that I should use some polish... which I absolutely don't want to except if I want to mess the whole surrounding area.

In conclusion, I'm not convinced at all by this product.

Mine also was definitely rougher but many applications helped. Definitely not the same as before but color matches and dries to match but looks different for sure. Better than without anything and looks good from greater than 6 feet for my application.