Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla participating in 2013 Pikes Peak? How would it look like?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcstp

Feb 7, 2011
Belgium
After watching this video from Tesla, I wonder if they will participate in next year's Pikes Peak.

Maybe they can build one based on one of their BETA-model S's
But how would it look like?

Any creative minds on this forum to start Photoshopping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well having an EV helps a lot because you don't have to worry about oxygen when you get close to 14,000 feet. But that battery weight is probably a hefty penalty going up. And the fact that the record holding EV is only 30 seconds off from an ICE is pretty telling (from wikipedia).

I think you need some serious areo bits on the back to give you downforce, and near 14,000 feet they are going to be big and ugly.

I would think you would want a dedicated battery pack. High current output and a minimal power store. To minimize weight.

Rip out all the interior bits (leave the screen for some marketing). Add a roll cage and a steering wheel.

Get some really good rubber. And some lightweight rims.

Look at changing the drive ratio to maximize performance over the general average speed. (Stock is probably really close to optimal)

--

But I think a showroom stock class S would put up some really good numbers.

Well having an EV helps a lot because you don't have to worry about oxygen when you get close to 14,000 feet. But that battery weight is probably a hefty penalty going up. And the fact that the record holding EV is only 30 seconds off from an ICE is pretty telling (from wikipedia).

I think you need some serious areo bits on the back to give you downforce, and near 14,000 feet they are going to be big and ugly.

I would think you would want a dedicated battery pack. High current output and a minimal power store. To minimize weight.

Rip out all the interior bits (leave the screen for some marketing). Add a roll cage and a steering wheel.

Get some really good rubber. And some lightweight rims.

Look at changing the drive ratio to maximize performance over the general average speed. (Stock is probably really close to optimal)

--

But I think a showroom stock class S would put up some really good numbers.

I was thinking the same way!
That's why I thought it could be based on one of their "old" beta-cars

Yeah other than a battery pack it probably wouldn't take much for Tesla. I don't see them having a motorsports division until they get the next gen roadster into design. I really hope they at least put out demonstration cars and do some publicity motorsports. It would be some nice PR.

But stuff like hill climbs they could put up stock (or close to stock) cars, with professional drivers pretty easily. And they should do well in some of these races. It could be some cheap publicity, and give back some interesting data when pushing the car that hard.

I don't think Tesla needs to touch the battery pack. The Roadster pack is an OK size for Pikes Peak as is.
What the Roadster would need is a water cooled motor and PEM first.
Second would be wider tires and better brakes.

With that you would probably use up half the pack on the way up - so its about twice as big as it needs to be - they could save a bunch of weight by cutting it down, but its probably not worth the engineering to do that - better to kick ass with a stock battery pack.

Pikes Peak is perfect for Tesla, IIRC top speed on any section doesn't exceed 130mph ( and only exceeds 100mph in the first half or so ).

The Model S might be a great pikes peak car without changing anything.

I don't think Tesla needs to touch the battery pack. The Roadster pack is an OK size for Pikes Peak as is.
What the Roadster would need is a water cooled motor and PEM first.
Second would be wider tires and better brakes.

With that you would probably use up half the pack on the way up - so its about twice as big as it needs to be - they could save a bunch of weight by cutting it down, but its probably not worth the engineering to do that - better to kick ass with a stock battery pack.

Pikes Peak is perfect for Tesla, IIRC top speed on any section doesn't exceed 130mph ( and only exceeds 100mph in the first half or so ).

The Model S might be a great pikes peak car without changing anything.

I was supposing for the Model S. I was thinking ~40kWh ought to do it, but you want the current output of the 85kWh or more.

Roadster would need more weight up front! With the road almost always going up you wouldn't have enough weight on the fronts I don't think.

Monster Tajima ran an electric car this year and got a DNF because the car caught fire. It seems pretty likely that he is looking at running a Model S.

Wikipedia -

Nobuhiro Tajima, the 2011 winner and at the time overall record holder, running in the Electric Division saw a surprising upset when his car caught fire in the lower portion of the course causing a DNF.

He could cut a few hundred pounds out of the car by stripping the interior. It would be lovely if he could install a smaller pack and reduce weight, but as was pointed out its probably not worth the hassle. Tajima already nuked a car trying to do it with a custom high performance solution. I'd rather keep the existing drivetrain and replace the aluminum body with a racing body and roll cage.

- - - Updated - - -

Sexagenarian to Pilot EV up Pikes Peak for New World Record | Autopia | Wired.com

One More Weekend Car-B-Q: Reigning Champs Pikes Peak EV Catches Fire | Autopia | Wired.com

Looking at the performance numbers they are citing, he'd probably want more power than what you get with a straight Model S. He might be able to do it with 2 motors and AWD if he can get enough juice from the battery.

I hope that a world class driver runs a Model S up Pikes Peak next year.

If there was a class for production 4 door cars, it would set a record that no current ICE car could touch.
A 560hp M3 is only a 400hp M3 at the start of the race, and a 323hp M3 by the end. The Model S would destroy it.

Monster Tajima ran an electric car this year and got a DNF because the car caught fire. It seems pretty likely that he is looking at running a Model S.
There's no way Monster would run a Model S or anything based on it. He's always raced to set record times - including this year - and that's simply not going to happen unless you're in a custom built race car.

IMO he's most likely to take this years car and improve it's weaknesses for 2013.

I'd still like to see the Model S raced at Pikes Peak (any anywhere else), but like others have said, it's way too heavy and too long to be competitive in this race except perhaps in the stock class.

Just wondering... why does the wheelbase matter when it comes to hill climbing?

The moment of inertia for rotation around the center axis is higher in a long wheelbase car, so initial turn is more difficult. Also, it's more difficult to shift weight between the front and rear axles. For these reasons, a long wheelbase makes controlled drifting more difficult. In other words, it's less "tossable."

That said, a longer wheelbase aids in stability in cornering, so on a paved track a long wheelbase is preferable.

The moment of inertia for rotation around the center axis is higher in a long wheelbase car, so initial turn is more difficult. Also, it's more difficult to shift weight between the front and rear axles. For these reasons, a long wheelbase makes controlled drifting more difficult. In other words, it's less "tossable."

That said, a longer wheelbase aids in stability in cornering, so on a paved track a long wheelbase is preferable.

top to bottom (or bottom to top?) is paved now!
watch from 10.30

Last edited by a moderator:
top to bottom (or bottom to top?) is paved now!

Huh, well look at that.

From Wikipedia: "The 2011 running was the last running of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb that had dirt sections of the course, for approximately 30% of the route, as Colorado Springs is being forced by a Sierra Club lawsuit to pave the road all the way to the summit."

So, it's just a road course now. Well then, bring on the Model S!