Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Parts Escalation Help, Car 8 months stuck at Body Shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I've been using the Tesla Support/Body Shop Support group on my Model S. Short story is that I went through about 3.5 months to get 'most' of the parts to rebuild the front end after a Feb 26, 2018 accident, but sure enough, the body shop needs some additional parts and I'm getting long delays again from the Tesla side. One 12v Battery frame part has been taking over a month, and now just got pushed to 2nd week of November. With all the management changes, does anyone know who at Tesla is managing parts and distribution? Thanks, Rich

sorry to hear that, I have used Tesla authorized body shop twice, my car was not there more then 3 days, you must have had a lot of work to be done.

Yeah, there was a lot of work unfortunately. I think my disappointment is dates keep getting pushed back, and anytime the body shop realizes they need another part, it's ages before they get it from Tesla. I wish I had totaled the car.

I'm out of my Model S for 3 weeks. Parts back ordered expected to arrive in 2-3 weeks. My damage is in excess of $20k. All due to hitting a normal pothole which should resulted in nothing bigger than a split second discomfort in any other car. The whole front end collapsed. Tesla take no responsibility, so my insurance is taking the hit. To top it all, I still need to pay my lease despite down time resulted from Tesla incompetency. I am feeling cheated. This is my second Model S. It would be my last Tesla.

This was in Brooklyn NY. I didn't realize this would be pinned on me. I would have got the police to come do a report. A week later when I came back after realizing how this is going to go down, the road was fixed and I had nothing to document anymore. My car is still at the body shop. 2 months now. Still missing a part. Tesla body shop rep just hung in my face for saying "sh1t happened" trying to express my feeling. Tesla have the parts to keep making new cars. Why can't they come up with a shock tower cross member for my model S??? I am being told could take several more weeks. This is crazy. Can't wait to get it so I can post it on swap a lease

I feel like I must share... This is my email to Tesla's Body Shops Advocate team. Yesterday the lady hung up in my face after blaming me for "cussing" at her. I explained the term "sh1t happened" should not be taken as me cussing at anyone. but got the phone hung up in my face.
Today I got an email the part I need may be available in the last week of December. Here is my reply and this is my stand in the matter:

This is my 2nd Model S. If you only knew how much I advocated and supported Tesla, and on so many aspects, I was raving about your brands to all my friends, family, and strangers too. Mind you, my business is trucking and all my life I was driving and fixing cars, trucks and motorcycles. I am feeling like this is the biggest BULLSHIT!

My car broke over a pot hole in 10/14/18. Not only I was served with the bill of over $20k for a failure caused by a bad suspension design (not just my opinion), now you are telling me the back ordered part is expected to be available on the last week of this month. This is BULLSHIT! The part is available in production. You are still making new model S every day. EXCEPT, you will not hold on a production of a new car, but you will throw a loyal customer under the bus.

Yes I am upset, but in the most even keeled manor I can tell you, I have zero masochistic tendencies and this is my last Tesla.

Good day to you

There are these threads all over. My Model 3 was damaged two weeks after I bought it and has been in a body shop for four months. Several parts arrived damaged and three have had to be replaced multiple times, each time with more delays.

It is time for us to form a group to exert more direct pressure on Tesla to fix this mess.
Frankly it might be time for a class action.
PM me if you'd like to join.

Wow this is scary stuff, I hope you folks get a resolution soon but after going through this you'd never buy another Tesla would you for fear of it happening again. When it is easier to get parts to restore a 45 year old car than fix a brand new one something is broken in their system.