Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a number of quite interesting concepts being developed right now that would work very well as range extenders similar to what is in the BMW i3 - the Achates Opposed Piston engine, or the Toyota Linear Free Piston engine. The fomer has demonstrated an efficiency of 43%. Considering the residual heat couldbe used for cabon and battery pack warming in cold weather it would be a valuable addition to larger EVs.

I hope they wait with making a pickup until after they've made a smaller sedan, the crossover, the next roadster and a van.

Pickups do not sell over here. The segment is probably less than 1% of the total market. If they do decide to make one in the near future, I hope the market for pickups is significantly better in the US.
Yes we love our pickups here in USA, especially in Texas where I live. The instant torque will be a big plus for light-to-heavy duty pickups.

- - - Updated - - -

A big truck with a crew cab/six door and an 8 foot bed like these ones;

2006 Reno Six-Door | F650 Supertrucks

Last edited by a moderator:
Some say Tesla already makes an electric pickup.
FB_IMG_1442424901706.jpg

I figure a prototype of a Tesla Model P would appear in 2020. It would be launched in 2022. Plenty of time to get Gigafactory #3 online with battery cells at least twice the energy density of a 2012 release, and at only 33% the cost per each due to volume. Methinks a full sized crew cab dual motor AWD dually pickup truck equipped with a 220 kWh battery pack would run around $60,000 by then. With gasoline and diesel well over 'Six Bucks a Gallon, Please Pay Before You Pump!' levels (thanks to Gulf War III), a Supercharger enabled pickup truck would be just the proper ride to roll here at home. The 170 kWh version would probably be around $40,000 -- but would only have Class II towing capability by default.

Tesla S, 3, X, Y, P?...

Maybe another letter instead? But I guess it would be appropriate on many levels.

Can't wait to see it run Baja or Paris to Dakar!

With a Roadster 2.0 (#511) and Sig Performance Model S (#278) in my garage it really burned me to have to buy another RAM 3500 crew cab w/ 8 ft. bed while waiting for a Tesla electric pickup. I hope it's at least in concept drawing now. I KNOW Elon will give us a breakthrough product in this category. I'd send in a reservation now, sight unseen, based on my trust level with TM. With 11 kWh peak production off my solar array I think I can drive all three on sunlight.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I got the sense from watching the whole thing that while Truck was "the logical thing" It didnt sound like it was a priority in the near/medium term. I think we all assumed Model 3/Suv then maybe roadster and truck right afterwards, but maybe the truck is farther off? My guess 2020, 2022 or so.

I got the sense from watching the whole thing that while Truck was "the logical thing" It didnt sound like it was a priority in the near/medium term. I think we all assumed Model 3/Suv then maybe roadster and truck right afterwards, but maybe the truck is farther off? My guess 2020, 2022 or so.

I only posted it because its the first I've heard about Tesla making a truck from the mouth of Musk. Many have speculated about it, and now its at least in the realm of the possible.

At least 2022 I would say, likely even later. My guess is full steam ahead on Model 3 ramp up to 2020, nothing else focused on really. Musk mentioned a Roadster update in 2019... But I think that will get delayed in the demand for the 3 is sky high and they have to do massive ramp ups.

I only posted it because its the first I've heard about Tesla making a truck from the mouth of Musk. Many have speculated about it, and now its at least in the realm of the possible.

He have said more or less the exact same thing earlier.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-pickup-truck-2013-11?IR=T

Electric car company Tesla is planning to make a pickup truck, CEO Elon Musk said yesterday.

The truck will likely be the same type of vehicle as Ford's F-Series pickup trucks. The Ford F-150 is the best-selling vehicle of any kind in the United States.

Musk said Tesla might make the truck in 5 years.
(Date: Nov. 13, 2013)

The best selling "car" in america is the Ford truck. The numbers are pretty compelling.
Ford Silences the Critics, Posts Mind Blowing Truck Sales to End 2015 - Torque News

After getting a slow start to the 2015 sales year, the Ford F Series trucks have built momentum with the continued delivery of 2015 F150 pickups in more trims and colors around the country. As a result, Ford truck sales have grown over the past few months and this has led to a solid growth for the F Series truck in 2015. Ford was very pleased with 2014 F Series sales, when they sold 753,851 new trucks, but 2015 improved by 3.5% for a total of 780,354.

Compare that with Model S sales for the 2015 year at 25,700.
Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

Will Tesla build a truck. Yes it's just a mater of time before that happens.

I would think an EV truck would be very attractive to any fleet operator that uses vehicles in a local area. Many advantages, few disadvantages. Phasing in as older ICE trucks reach end of life would help minimize the capital costs. I'd love to see Tesla push this.

The best selling "car" in america is the Ford truck. The numbers are pretty compelling.
Ford Silences the Critics, Posts Mind Blowing Truck Sales to End 2015 - Torque News

Compare that with Model S sales for the 2015 year at 25,700.
Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

Will Tesla build a truck. Yes it's just a mater of time before that happens.

The great thing is that there will be more service folks familiar with aluminum work. Hopefully will help reduce repair times and costs with all aluminum vehicles.

It will only become a fleet truck (and huge success in my mind) if the box is on frame and removable. Majority of fleet users have specific setups and need to modify the payload area for their environment. If it's a unibody design like a ridgeline or avalanche, it wouldn't appeal to majority of fleets.

I remember 2-3 years ago EM was talking about this an interview. I remember him mentioning an idea about the rear suspension and how he was looking at adjustable/dynamic spring or damper rates or something so you can have a comfortable ride with a unladen bed but have still the load capacity when needed.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember 2-3 years ago EM was talking about this an interview. I remember him mentioning an idea about the rear suspension and how he was looking at adjustable/dynamic spring or damper rates or something so you can have a comfortable ride with a unladen bed but have still the load capacity when needed.