Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said this a few times. But I bet that the Tesla Pickup is designed to be a fleet vehicle. I can't imagine how many pickups that electric utilities have in this country. I bet GA Power in Atlanta has 400 or more. And I bet that they could change ~3/4 of them to EVs in a heartbeat.

I bet they target a full on work vehicle for a pickup. Besides even the 'recreational' pickup user buys their truck based on capability, even if they never use it. It is why the Honda Ridgeline doesn't sell, even though it is a pretty nice truck.

Model S attacked the heart of the premium luxury sedan market, not premium company cars or some tiny sliver.

Again, Elon said the target is F-150. Make the type of vehicles people actually buy. The F-150 is the top selling vehicle in America.

Nobody needs a full size sedan that can go 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. A mid-size sedan that does 0-60 in 9.0 seconds is more than enough for real commuters.

But the heart wants what the heart wants.

The Tesla pickup has to have the cargo capability and low end torque(not just torque at 0,obviously Tesla wins there by default) to smack around the F-150.

Because that is what buyers want even if it is not what they need.

Matching specs will not make the most loyal owners in all vehicledom (full size truck buyers) switch brands.

It also needs more in your face aggressive styling. Like virtually all full size pickups.

Last edited:
Again, Elon said the target is F-150. Make the type of vehicles people actually buy. The F-150 is the top selling vehicle in America.

^^^This^^^ You simply can't please everyone when it comes to a pickup. But obviously the F150 has pleased quite a few. Personally, I'd prefer a midsize with AWD but that's just me. I'm gonna buy whatever truck Tesla offers immediately. My truck is 17 years old. It's replacement will be the Tesla pickup.

Some good 'ol boys will never switch brands. I remember when Toyota first came out with their full size truck. Lots of folks around here said they'd never buy one. Now I see tons of them. These new trucks are very expensive and their fuel economy is awful. They drive them less than 200 miles a day almost always. An equally stylish, and capable half ton truck that costs 6 times less to operate WILL sell around here. I'll bet on it.

Some good 'ol boys will never switch brands. I remember when Toyota first came out with their full size truck. Lots of folks around here said they'd never buy one. Now I see tons of them. These new trucks are very expensive and their fuel economy is awful. They drive them less than 200 miles a day almost always. An equally stylish, and capable half ton truck that costs 6 times less to operate WILL sell around here. I'll bet on it.

truck_market_large.jpg

Full size trucks rule the roost. Tundra has only 5% and Nissan Tundra doesn't register yet.

But one advantage is that Tesla is an American company. Even the good ol' boys have to admit Northern California is part of America :)

But one advantage is that Tesla is an American company. Even the good ol' boys have to admit Northern California is part of America :)

LOL. The bottom line is the bottom line. Good 'ol boys aren't stupid. They may not jump on it right away as we did with the MS. However, when they realize that a good looking truck has the same (or better) capabilities than their current half ton and it costs them 2 bucks a day vs. 15 or 16, they'll switch. If the styling is there, and the price point and capabilities (hauling, towing) are the same or better, they will buy it.

I'm keeping my 2004 RAM 2500 with an 8 foot bed and quad cab alive (hopefully) until TM produces their pickup. I really hope it can match or exceed the capability of my truck so I can pre-order it. I'd pay in full up front for it to join my Tesla Roadster and SP85 Model S at my home's solar charging ports and finally be rid of gasoline and big repair bills!

Elon Musk full of hot air when claiming that Tesla will likely manufacture a pickup truck within the next five years? Despite Elon Musk making such declarations in the news, Tesla's VP of sales and service; Jerome Guillen laughed denying the idea. Calling it a rumor.

So it appears Tesla has bad communications, and/or that Elon Musk is again full of hot air.

Tesla VP denies, laughs at question regarding company’s plans for an electric pickup
Tesla VP denies, laughs at question regarding companys plans for an electric pickup | Equipment World | Construction Equipment, News and Information | Heavy Construction Equipment

Elon Musk full of hot air when claiming that Tesla will likely manufacture a pickup truck within the next five years? Despite Elon Musk making such declarations in the news, Tesla's VP of sales and service; Jerome Guillen laughed denying the idea. Calling it a rumor.

So it appears Tesla has bad communications, and/or that Elon Musk is again full of hot air.

Tesla VP denies, laughs at question regarding company’s plans for an electric pickup
Tesla VP denies, laughs at question regarding companys plans for an electric pickup | Equipment World | Construction Equipment, News and Information | Heavy Construction Equipment

I can't see how it's possible in 5 years. They'll have their hands full with the X, the E, the Roadster, and possibly the CUV.

There's another potential fly in the batter that can complicate things. VW has introduced to extreme adulation their "Amarok" pickup truck. Modestly capable with a 4-cyl TDI, and quite impressive with a V6 turbodiesel. Now, IF they can get the US to drop that 50-year old "chicken tax" of a 25% on imported pickups (the result of a trade war with Europe in 1963 over chickens), then that pickup might make serious inroads in the half-ton (F-150) market, and complicate any Tesla introduction.

Timing in this favors VW and definitely is against Tesla.

Some links:

GEAR: Volkswagen Amarok concept pickup boasts V-6 turbodiesel, 0-62 in 7.9 seconds (PHOTOS) | Equipment World | Construction Equipment, News and Information | Heavy Construction Equipment
Volkswagen turned its Amarok pickup into a glacier-climbing monster truck and its the best thing at the Winter Olympics (VIDEO, PHOTOS) | Equipment World | Construction Equipment, News and Information | Heavy Construction Equipment

I can't see how it's possible in 5 years. They'll have their hands full with the X, the E, the Roadster, and possibly the CUV.
This would be very easy. Take the Model X AWD and remove the back seat. This becomes the pickup bed for the truck.

Also removes the falcon wings so many people around here love :)

According to what Musk has said, in 5 years I'd expect a pickup truck to be in the same situation as the Model E is now. Model X should be going to production within a year or so, Model E should be revealed within a year or two, and be in production within 3-5. I think a truck is the correct next step, before a new roadster.

Things could end up moving much more quickly than we think. Look how fast SpaceX has ramped up.

What's needed is low cost batteries. Once that problem is taken care of, concurrent models can be released.

Look how fast SpaceX ramped up? you mean 2 years behind schedule? Tesla is still working on the Model S's different versions. They are realizing just how hard it is to make a good car which is the reason for the Model X delay by more then a year (and a half). The Gen III requires a massive investment in battery manufacturing even to consider how they are going to build the damn thing.

My wild prediction is Gen III's 1,000th production car (few cars to investors dont count, those are called Beta cars) will be late 2018 and Tesla will be so focused on Gen III that we wont see a prototype pickup until 2021. The only way this changes is if Tesla does a $3-5 billion secondary offering so they can work on this issues in tandem.

Look how fast SpaceX ramped up? you mean 2 years behind schedule? Tesla is still working on the Model S's different versions. They are realizing just how hard it is to make a good car which is the reason for the Model X delay by more then a year (and a half). The Gen III requires a massive investment in battery manufacturing even to consider how they are going to build the damn thing.

My wild prediction is Gen III's 1,000th production car (few cars to investors dont count, those are called Beta cars) will be late 2018 and Tesla will be so focused on Gen III that we wont see a prototype pickup until 2021. The only way this changes is if Tesla does a $3-5 billion secondary offering so they can work on this issues in tandem.
They have been releasing a prototype every 3 years pretty consistently, and Gen III is expected to be shown in 2015 right on schedule. The question is whether the truck is the next project after Gen III, or if they do something in between like a new roadster or a variant of the Gen III platform, if they do the truck first, I expect to see it in about 2018, if they do it second, 2021. They may also be ready to take on more projects at that point.