Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, Please consider: One simple tweak could turn FSD beta from "pretty bad" to "pretty sweet"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny, I came to this same conclusion on my drive into the Office this morning. If Tesla didn't 'force' it, I (and I suspect many others) wouldn't normally use this feature because it's just so bad. But, we are BETA testers, right? This is what we're for - to help improve FSD by actually testing its features.
Another good reason to add the lane confirmation. More of us would be willing to test FSD and to leave MLC off if lane changes could be set to require confirmation. They would get more data. Better data, even, since we may not choose to override anything that is harmless but still wrong (Ex: if there are no cars around me often I'll let it ping pong back and forth).

It's funny, I came to this same conclusion on my drive into the Office this morning. If Tesla didn't 'force' it, I (and I suspect many others) wouldn't normally use this feature because it's just so bad. But, we are BETA testers, right? This is what we're for - to help improve FSD by actually testing its features.
That's the thing though. As a coder of long standing I assert that this is not even Beta code. Beta code is when you have it very close to done, but want some outside testing to try and catch outlier bugs. If there are known limitations, you warn the testers, and it's generally expected the testers -won't- try those features. Tesla doesn't need Beta testers to show that it has a problem with making wrong lane changes. It happens to me every time I drive. If there wasn't the option to turn on MLC, I'd be opting out of the beta program and revert to whatever counts as EAP these days.

There is another change I just noticed that irks me. With NoAP it could be turned off independently of navigation and AP. I.E. leaving the navigation running and the car lane-keeping. As far as I can tell, now with FSD on freeways you have to either stop the navigation or disengage FSD.

Reactions: Genie
<snip> I assert that this is not even Beta code. <snip>
Yeah. I have a theory why they are calling it beta and why they won't add lane change confirmation back in. It has to do with Elon's management style, which has it's merits but tends to leave him surrounded by yes-men. I suspect to add lane confirmation back, someone will have to admit to Elon that it really isn't "almost there" (i.e. beta) which has a high probability of them getting fired and missing out on another year of lucrative stock options vesting.

Reactions: GalacticHero
Move the right scroll wheel left and right. Similar to changing tracks of music with the left scroll wheel. This replaces the functionally of follow distance that was available with Autopilot.
I find the minimal lane change very helpful on the highway but the way the scroll wheel works is not intuitive. Which ever way I move the scroll wheel moves the setting in the same direction. For example, if the setting is on average and I move the scroll wheel to the right the setting becomes assertive. Move to the left and it becomes chill. So if I want to keep the setting at average I have to toggle the scroll wheel again after I change the setting for minimal lane changes. Is this how it works for everyone else?

I find the minimal lane change very helpful on the highway but the way the scroll wheel works is not intuitive. Which ever way I move the scroll wheel moves the setting in the same direction. For example, if the setting is on average and I move the scroll wheel to the right the setting becomes assertive. Move to the left and it becomes chill. So if I want to keep the setting at average I have to toggle the scroll wheel again after I change the setting for minimal lane changes. Is this how it works for everyone else?
Well, slap me along side the head. I thought it was just stupidly defaulting to Assertive. I must always be pushing the control to the right. I was setting it back to Average with a button touch, not realizing the wheel left-right was changing it. Although, I have to punch the MLC button anyway.

Oh, I see. It looks like the 3's, Y's and Paladium powertrains can do this. I have a Raven, so no left/right on the scroll wheel for me. Still, I wish there was another shortcut for me to use. Maybe I'll play around and see. Thanks, anyway!
Found it! On the Raven powertrains, the steering wheel stalk used to control the following-distance has been re-tasked with this functionality (you still have to select 'Minimal Lane Changes on the window that pops up, though).

Actually I think our Model X Plaid can't change driving modes very easily. It's actually buried in menus which is pretty annoying.

The right scroll wheel doesn't change things as it does on my Model Y.
My 21 prerefresh X right scroll used to control fan speed (useful), now it changes cabin temp (not useful, I rarely change it). Now I need to change the fan in the menu, pita. MLC being there is not convenient, but at least it’s just once per drive. I used to change fan speed often, last update screwed that up.

Just today, on the highway I had the car in the rightmost lane with my exit coming up in less than a mile. This was during the morning commute so there was a lot of traffic. Suddenly the car tries to move to a faster lane. I cancelled with the turn signal lever and then with under a half mile it tried to again. The car would never have been able to get back over in time to make the exit so I cancelled out of FSD. So for me, lane selection is still a problem. It seems to lack the ability to plan ahead for upcoming exits and turns.
yea, I have that problem on one of the roads here. It wants to get in the left lane even if NO traffic !!! So it wants to get in the left lane for no reason. And in 1/2 mile it will need to turn right .

Reactions: GalacticHero
NEWS Flash! Then it wold NOT be FULL Self Driving. While L2 Tesla is emulating FULL Self Driving and it makes driving decisions. So if you want NoA then you need to cut FSD Beta off and use the legacy NoA stack.

FSD Bata is one Stack now. So it doesn't discriminate and just drives the same on all roads. If Tesla added this (which they won't) then you would need to confirm on ALL roads.
not this again :rolleyes:
News Flash - Tesla have said over and over again that "Self Driving" doesn't imply the car can drive itself, so the word "Full" in this context is meaningless.
"Full Self Driving" can only be used as a term to relate to a Tesla feature and should only be used with all three words with no specific meaning attached to them.
Attempting to extract the word "Full" in this context is irrelevant.
Stop trying to apply grammar rules to something that doesn't itself imply function.
If we are to extract "Full" from the name and make it mean something, then we must also apply the same rules to "Self Driving" which the Tesla always says it is not capable of doing.
According to Tesla the car is never driving itself and the driver is always in charge, so the car cannot be "Self Driving", "Full" or otherwise.

not this again :rolleyes:
News Flash - Tesla have said over and over again that "Self Driving" doesn't imply the car can drive itself, so the word "Full" in this context is meaningless.
"Full Self Driving" can only be used as a term to relate to a Tesla feature and should only be used with all three words with no specific meaning attached to them.
Attempting to extract the word "Full" in this context is irrelevant.
Stop trying to apply grammar rules to something that doesn't itself imply function.
If we are to extract "Full" from the name and make it mean something, then we must also apply the same rules to "Self Driving" which the Tesla always says it is not capable of doing.
According to Tesla the car is never driving itself and the driver is always in charge, so the car cannot be "Self Driving", "Full" or otherwise.
Okay, I'll bite.

I don't doubt anything you've said regarding Tesla's statement(s). But, let's take Tesla out of the equation for a minute. What exactly does "self driving" mean? To provide an example, let's say Company A has made statements that they define the word "down" as meaning up. Fine, that's their publicly stated definition. The problem is, the rest of the world defines "down" as down. So, when I hear 'self driving,' to me it means driving itself (whatever 'self' is).

It seems like these Tesla 'statements' are trying to play clean-up for some marketing mistakes. Maybe they should call it what it is --> 'Full Assist Driving.' If the driver is always responsible for driving (which they should be), then the tech is only assisting said driver.

So, what do you think?

Reactions: Genie
Okay, I'll bite.

I don't doubt anything you've said regarding Tesla's statement(s). But, let's take Tesla out of the equation for a minute. What exactly does "self driving" mean? To provide an example, let's say Company A has made statements that they define the word "down" as meaning up. Fine, that's their publicly stated definition. The problem is, the rest of the world defines "down" as down. So, when I hear 'self driving,' to me it means driving itself (whatever 'self' is).

It seems like these Tesla 'statements' are trying to play clean-up for some marketing mistakes. Maybe they should call it what it is --> 'Full Assist Driving.' If the driver is always responsible for driving (which they should be), then the tech is only assisting said driver.

So, what do you think?
The operative qualifier is "beta" . It is clear that once finished it is intended to be FSD. Robo-taxis. Elon has even commented several times on his intention to remove the steering wheel. However it isn't ready now so they indicate such by clearly stating it is beta and requires supervision. We can debate whether they should have called it "alpha" instead of "beta" but there is nothing wrong with the name since that is what they are trying to deliver.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Okay, I'll bite.

So, what do you think?
to be clear, it isn't marketing statements they are having to clean up, its Elon making wild unattainable future-thinks that are picked up as statements of direction. Yet when they get called out on FSD not being self driving they back pedal and call it L2 driver assistance and that FSD is only meant as feature name and not functionality. (remember that "Self Driving" cannot be L2)
That's my problem when folks try to extract meaning from "Full Self Driving" when it isn't a functional definition, which means you can't play word games with it to imply any functionality. In this case it was being used to attempt to imply that "Full" somehow added more capability to "Self Driving".
It's no more meaningful than Budweiser being the king of beers :rolleyes:

Last edited: