Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: please enable "I am being pulled over" mode.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Police are your friend

fkf.png

I spent two days looking at this post, wondering if I should say anything. I was going to detail a few of my own experiences, as a black person who was born and raised in southern california. One who is educated, has a nice house, a good job, with both a new BMW and Tesla in my garage, solar on my roof, powerwalls, etc. I mention all that stuff to say that I am not a "disadvantaged" person.

Anyway, rather tell you several of the experiences I have had, even though I am a law abiding citizen who has never gotten more than a speeding ticket in his entire life, I would just tell you to ask any black people you might know well enough to ask the question if their experience matches yours.

I know mine sure doesnt.
I don't have to ask them; I already know. I'm in a number of minority groups, but sometimes it seems that my white privilege trumps all my disadvantages. And that's why I support #BLM.

I spent two days looking at this post, wondering if I should say anything. I was going to detail a few of my own experiences, as a black person who was born and raised in southern california. One who is educated, has a nice house, a good job, with both a new BMW and Tesla in my garage, solar on my roof, powerwalls, etc. I mention all that stuff to say that I am not a "disadvantaged" person.

Anyway, rather tell you several of the experiences I have had, even though I am a law abiding citizen who has never gotten more than a speeding ticket in his entire life, I would just tell you to ask any black people you might know well enough to ask the question if their experience matches yours.

I know mine sure doesnt.

If we can opt in to sending cabin video recordings Tesla it's only right that we should also have the ability to record locally on demand, as with the external dashcam.

It's necessary for passenger privacy to have visual feedback on the screen to indicate the cabin camera and/or mic is active. The same goes for any automatic recording that Tesla is doing.

And it would be great if some people didn't feel the need to jump in with "cops only hurt bad people" propaganda at the mere mention of interactions with police.

Don't black out your windows, drive like a boob, and run your subwoofer at 11. Or ride a motorcycle.
You will find you won't get pulled over very often.

The LEO has no idea what your DNA coding is until after they hit the bubblegum lights.
Another member of the boys in blue. You guys love outing yourselves in these threads or what?

Police are your friend, obey the lawns and they won't pull you over.
If you are pulled over be polite and respectful rather than seeking confrontation and all will be fine.
Only once was I pulled over without cause and in that case I was a 19yo kid out at 2am and they wanted to see if I was drunk. Every other time I most definitely deserves to be stopped and deserved every ticket I got.

I’ve seen some of these political discussions go down on this forum and I try not to enter in because I love the diversion of this amazing piece of technology called Tesla.

As a young black man in LA’s San Fernando Valley, I was stopped just about every 6 months. “This car matches the description of one stolen in the area”, or “your windows appear tinted” which they were, or I love the one from my graduation party even though it wasn’t the cops fault “a cop was shot in your apartment. Everyone (About 40 fellow students) has to leave while we go thru your apartment with just you alone while we search it”. I think that one was a ‘Karen’ that kept yelling the N word from the adjacent apartment complex window as I locked my car and headed into my apartment every few months or so. Maybe she didn’t like my choice of music or it was too loud. Yeah that’s probably it. But I’ll never forget that sea of flashing red lights in the distance like the glow of a volcano, eerily beautiful, with tires screeching a few blocks away with more sirens. How could there be more cops coming because it looks like they’re all already here. More sirens coming In my direction? As I stepped out to talk to them, with cops crouching with shotguns and revolvers at every opening I could see— they were staring up at us absolutely’on edge’. I just couldn’t believe they were coming to my apartment. What. The. ****.

Once down by the beach at night with fraternity members In a couple of vehicles with black frat boys in flat bed trucks caravanning from one event place to the next, we were having so much fun as a group, we had numerous cop cars all of a sudden block our exit and then within seconds we’re faced with revolvers waving 6 inches from our heads as the cops were yelling at the top of their lungs at us to get the hell out of the car. Right now! Can’t we just tell you calmly what we’re doing? I’m our fraternity chapter President— please let us just talk for a second?! No and quickly hands and chest on pavement. And that sea of flashing red.

If you've never had a cop revolver pulled at their side for a routine traffic stop, and then that in itself started seeming routine, you may have white privilege. Maybe that revolver at the cops side for them was for a good reason , but to me it left an impression. If you don’t have to claim that you were just driving like everyone else and you hadn’t stolen your own car— why do I have to even explain that I didn’t steal a car or I hadn’t “done something to warrant it’? If you’ve never had revolvers 6 inches away from your head with screaming cops and confusion and that sea of flashing red that you’ve come to know, and it starts to get frustrating seeing that sea of flashing red. If you haven’t had that sea of flashing red coming for you and it strikes a chord, you have white privilege. Now that I’m a bit older, thankfully I don’t see those things coming for me like they used to. I really think that’s because I do look older. But it leaves an impression that’s hard to shake no matter how successful or how many Tesla’s I get to own.
These viral cops videos, these instances we see didn’t start just recently. It’s been a constant for decades, for centuries. Some that are stopped may make the wrong decision. Some do make the right decisions and cooperate. But that doesn’t matter because you could easily lose your life no matter what you do right. Your parents (one a teacher, one a high school principal) taught you that ever since you can remember.

If you don’t have that fear, you have white privilege.

Wow, thanks, DelPhonic, that is a nice piece of writing. Like it's your day job?
Nope. Just trying to communicate. No more silence, or polite pretending. What people see out there with the protests, and even some of the rioting(though I don't condone it but I understand it), is people at their limit. Pushed to their absolute limit over a lifetime of experiences like mine thrown in a pile of experiences just like this sometimes in work, housing, schooling, living, and just being. Whoever disagrees with my experiences realize you are seeing people who have hit their absolute limit. Who have been pushed to their very edge. I know you understand what this means.

Nope. Just trying to communicate. No more silence, or polite pretending. What people see out there with the protests, and even some of the rioting(though I don't condone it but I understand it), is people at their limit. Pushed to their absolute limit over a lifetime of experiences like mine thrown in a pile of experiences just like this sometimes in work, housing, schooling, living, and just being. Whoever disagrees with my experiences realize you are seeing people who have hit their absolute limit. Who have been pushed to their very edge. I know you understand what this means.

I fully understand. The closest thing that comes to mind is the Stonewall uprising fifty years ago.

• Love
Reactions: TydalForce
It would be nice to have Tesla enable a voice command, "I am being pulled over", to use the cabin camera and other cameras to record the interaction with law enforcement.

This is a great idea. Security cameras are ubiquitous and record much of what people do in public places -- in stores, parking lots, restaurants, clubs, office buildings, etc., etc.

Shouldn't be a problem to record police going about their business on a traffic stop. In fact, if they aren't doing wrong they should welcome it to avoid being unjustly accused of violating the law.

Why shouldn't owners have the ability to protect themselves against bad cops?

You never know what a cop is going to do. He has a gun and power, the judge will take his word over yours. If he’s had a bad day he will do whatever he wants, simple as that. The data about black Americans is out there, they did at a much higher rate at police hands than white Americans do and if you haven’t listened yet, then you have a problem.

In Britain the police only have a stick, rarely a gun. People don't shoot at police there.
The comment about being white, well, yes. Most people in the USA are white. About two thirds, I believe. And I suppose that most Tesla owners are white, too. So? What's your point? Where I live, the police are polite and professional, and no one riots in the streets. In fact, about ten years ago an officer said, "There's no crime in Angwin." We have no police department.

I have wondered how things would change if the American police were not allowed to carry anything more dangerous than a taser.